i am not losing weight

Discussion in 'Health & Fitness' started by Skyler45, Apr 9, 2010.

1. sifreak21 Valued Senior Member

not about the calories dont listen to all of the BS you hear on tv cut your carbs down and work out.. eat a ballenced diet. and eat 5 times a day but not big meals.. breakfast,snack lunch, snack, dinner

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Shadow1 Valued Senior Member

do you want an exellent way to lose weight.trust me,

each morning, drink some vinegar mixed in a cup of water, (not alot of vinegar), but don't eat anything or drink anything before it, after you drink it, don't eat anything for a while, maybe one hour, then you can eat, i know a fat girl that tryed this, and she loosed alot of weight, oh, it doesnt mean to start eating all the day, just eat normal, not much not alittle bet

or another solution, you don't need to sturve, or get hungry, if you used to go to work in car or bus, go on your feet, start going to the gym each day, try running, and eat normal, eat vegetables and non oiled food, and don't eat fast food, you can fell your stomeck with healthy food, fresh vegetables, don't worry it want make you fat, only eat 3 times a day, only 3 times a day, in breackfest, don't drink coffe, eat some fruit, maybe apple, or banana, don't eat in any other time, that it's not luch or dinner or brekfest time.

you can choose one of those solution, and you'll surely loose weight, nodoubt of that.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Skeptical Registered Senior Member

Lots of advise in this thread. Not a lot of it is science based.

There has been masses of research done on weight loss, and you should take note of good research results. They are much more likely to give you results than following 'fad' diets or exercise.

Couple of points, based on research results.

1. The long term success rate of weight loss programs is lousy! Researchers found that, on average, after 5 years, only one person in 20 who loses weight has still kept it off. There is no point losing weight only to put it back on again.

2. By far and away, the best method of losing weight long term is surgery. Stomach stapling or similar.

3. Exercise to any moderate level is useless in losing weight. Your body increases your appetite to compensate.

4. The only exercise that works is extreme exercise. If you build up to two plus hours per day of serious exercise (makes you breath real fast) you can lose weight big time.

5. The best weight loss diets rely on high protein. I am not saying this is especially healthy! Just that you lose more weight if you minimise intake of fats, sugars and carbohydrates, and replace it with solid protein.

So overall? Unless you are willing to undergo surgery, or exercise to excess, I recommend you drop the idea of losing weight.

Instead, focus on healthy living. That means to eat enough each day to satisfy your appetite, but make sure it is healthy food. Low fat. Low sugar. Starchy foods only if they are also high fibre. Lots of fruit and vegetables.

Exercise enough to become at least moderately fit. The minimum exercise recommended by researchers is 150 minutes per week, of sufficient intensity to make you breath hard. Divide up the 150 minutes how you please. 21 minutes per day. 50 minutes 3 times a week. 75 twice a week. That is your choice.

What kind of exercise? Obviously some are better than others. But the key thing is to make sure you do it, rather than what type.

At the end of all this, you may still weigh more than you would like, but being a fit fatty means you will be healthy, and that is far more important than weight loss.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Pinwheel Banned Banned

Me too.

8. nirakar ( i ^ i ) Registered Senior Member

The OP poster Skylar45's first, last and only post started this thread on April 9.

9. Ganymede Valued Senior Member

I don't do any special diets, I don't eat at certain times, nor do I play silly games with carbohydrates. It's as simple as this. Eat whole organic foods, oodles of protein, and lift medium to heavy weights. Problem solved.

10. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

Since we are being science based would you post links to the original research your recommendations are based on?

e.g.

11. Captain Kremmen All aboard, me Hearties! Valued Senior Member

Only one conclusion to be drawn from this.
    Someone has given him great advice.
    He has taken it and lost weight.
    No need to post any more.
    Could have said thanks though

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

12. Captain Kremmen All aboard, me Hearties! Valued Senior Member

Jim, aged 20:I don't do any special diets, I don't eat at certain times, nor do I play silly games with carbohydrates. It's as simple as this. Eat whole organic foods, oodles of protein, and lift medium to heavy weights. Problem solved.

Jim, aged 55: Bwark! I just did kill an Alien.

Last edited: May 4, 2010
  13. Skeptical Registered Senior Member

To SAM

I am not going to post references for eveyr point I made. It would take forever.

As a for instance, here is the Wiki article on weight loss surgery

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bariatric_surgery

On eating organic.
    Forget it. It is simply a way to make you spend more money for your food.

The British Food Safety Agency commissioned a study to determine whether eating organic rather than conventional foods contributed to good health. It does not!

http://www.guardian.co.uk/environment/2009/jul/29/organic-food-nutrition-fsa

I quote

"Organic food is no healthier and provides no significant nutritional benefit compared with conventionally produced food, according to a new, independent study funded by the Food Standards Agency."

There are some organic foods that are a bit higher in certain vitamins and anti-oxidants. But this is not important. As long as you eat a balanced diet, you will not be short on these nutrients, anyway, and any excess is simply excreted.

There are vast realms of literature on the internet telling you how wonderful organic food is. This can be understood when you consider that there are enormously profitable multinational companies making billions of dollars from selling this food at a profit premium. The British Soil Association, for example, is an organisation funded by those businesses to promote this highly profitable industry.

14. Captain Kremmen All aboard, me Hearties! Valued Senior Member

Have a good diet and exercise every day, so you'll at least be fit as well as fat.
    I think your advice is good Skep.

15. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

I didn't expect you to. And hence the reason why I gave you a point to defend. I had no idea that wikipedia and the guardian had gained scientific credibility as a citation.

If you need to brush up on sources, look here:

http://www.obesity.org/

Or here:

http://www.ajcn.org/

Or here:

http://www.cdc.gov/obesity/

More details specifically on weight management:
    http://www.cdc.gov/obesity/resources.html

Or use keywords here:
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/PubMed

And don't make assertions of scientific basis if you are unwilling to back them up with peer reviewed data. It is unsafe to promote notions of extreme exercise when you are essentially clueless on the consequences of such ill advice. People have died on treadmills following such notions of no pain no gain.

16. Skeptical Registered Senior Member

SAM

I am not promoting ideas of extreme exercise. If you re-read my post, you will see that I said " If you build up to two plus hours per day" - meaning that exercise has to be started slow and increased till the requisite level of fitness is achieved.

Since I was making brief points, I did not go into details. However, I will emphasize now that extreme exercise is something that must be built up to slowly. People who train for marathons, running many kilometres each day, or those who are heavily into weight training, pumping iron for hours each day, tend to lose a lot of weight. And a slow and steady increase in exercise is essential.

This is not for everyone, and you may note that I did not really recommend it. My view is that we should take our eyes off weight loss and concentrate on health.

SAM

I can understand that you are annoyed with me because of the implication that your post was unscientific. In fact, your post was one of the better ones. It was a little over-optimistic (as is normal) in that you thought it was possible to lose weight by normal exercise and diet control. I understand this, since this is what ten million so-called 'experts' tell everyone. Sadly, it is not true, (at least, not long term) but I do not blame you for that.

As I said, 95% of those who set out to lose weight, 5 years later, weigh as much or more than when they started. This is irrespective of whether they rely on diet or exercise. The reason is due to human weakness.

Long term weight loss is not easy. The only clear-cut method that works almost every time is surgery. Diet and exercise add to health, and I recommend them highly. I do not, however, tell people that these methods lead to long term weight loss. Most of the time, they do not.

17. Captain Kremmen All aboard, me Hearties! Valued Senior Member

Not should, can't.
    For example. If your body needs, say 2000 calories to maintain body weight, and you are eating 1400 calories a day, then in a week you will take 7 times 600 calories, or 4200 calories from fat stores. Fat contains 255 calories per ounce, so the most you can lose in a week is just slightly over 16 ounces, one pound.

18. BigFairy Hi Im Big Fairy! Registered Senior Member

Simply put, most people just plain eat too much.

Hehe ... don't get me started

19. Skeptical Registered Senior Member

To Big Fairy

It is really easy to oversimplify these things. Certainly the reason people put on weight is eating too much. Sure, I agree.

However, that statement is extremely unhelpful. Everyone is different. There are some people who seem to eat all they like and never put on weight. Others have little appetite and eat little, and stay slim. Yet others eat not too much and still put on weight and become overweight. Still others have uncontrollable appetites and eat so much they become morbidly obese. Trying to play the 'blame game' does not help anyone and simply adds psychological distress to physical distress among those who are seriously overweight.

Morbidly obese people should seriously consider surgery. It is the only treatment that has a high long term success rate. And it increases average life span and general health.

Those who are overweight, but not morbidly so, should focus on improving their general health through good diet and exercise. However, they should forget about losing weight. As I said before, become a fit fatty. The futile attempt to lose weight will not help you, mentally, emotionally, or physically.

Anyone who is so bloody callous that they accuse overweight people of becoming what they deserve, I treat with all the contempt they deserve. Being overweight or obese is a condition with many possible causes, and is not something that can be blamed upon the victim. What is needed is sympathy and educated assistance. Not blame.

20. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

Generally people underestimate the amount of calories they ingest and overestimate the amount of calories they expend. e.g. a slice of bread = ~15 gms carbohydrates = ~50 kcals. If you eat two slices of bread [~100 kcals] it is the amount of calories you expend if you stand for one hour. If you sit for one hour, you expend between 80 and 90 kcals per hour. The most important reason why diet does not work alone is that dieting puts the body in conservation mode so that it uses less calories by reducing your metabolic rate, ie it becomes more efficient. This efficiency, once attained can be irreversible so that if you go back to eating the same as before, you will still be using the calories efficiently and piling on more stored energy [a process which many dieters discover and which is known as weight cycling, making it harder and harder to lose weight as you cycle between various types of dieting regimens].

Why exercise works better in conjunction with diet regimens is simple: since muscles are using the stored energy, metabolic rate will not drop in response to starvation, in fact, it will increase as, even hours after exercise the body remains in a state of higher metabolism as it works to repair muscle, maintain body temperature and achieve homestasis.

The major reason why weight reducing regimens fail is not due to the diet or exercise, its due to lack of discipline or motivation. You are not going to lose in 6 months what took you 20 years to put on. An additional slice of bread everyday will become 20 lbs overweight in a decade.

21. sifreak21 Valued Senior Member

never ever ever use surgery to lose weight EVER! UNLESS you have a medical condition that makes it so you cant lose weight.. Americans these days piss me off they are to fucking lazy to get off there fatass and actually work it off instead they say i tried walking 1 mile a day but nothing happend ohh an dafter that 1 mile i hit up a 20 piece KFC bucket or a super size meal from mc donalds! its absolutly pathetic. 90% of people are over weight BECAUSE THEY ARE LAZY! this isnot directed at the OP another poster said surgery and this is my thought on that again not directed at OP or anyone else

22. Captain Kremmen All aboard, me Hearties! Valued Senior Member

Woudn't it be better for lazy people to be skinny.
    Forty pounds of excess weight is the equivalent of dragging two suitcases with you everywhere you go.

What lazy person would do that?

23. nirakar ( i ^ i ) Registered Senior Member

First, web consensus seems to be that a pound of fat = 3500 calories which divided by 16 = 218.75 calories per ounce.

You can lose more than 3 pounds a week. I have done it before. I am not talking about the just the first week when water weight attached to glycogen is lost.

A year ago I lost about 5 pounds a week on weeks 2,3 and 4 then relaxed my diet and lost slower. I am guessing the strict phase of my diet was about 1100 calories a day.

So apparently by the math I was burning 2500 more calories per day than I was getting from my food intake which I think was 1100 calories. I was exercising but nothing extreme.