I have a killer cat, a too effective predator

Discussion in 'Science & Society' started by Syzygys, May 6, 2013.

1. Syzygys As a mother, I am telling you Valued Senior Member

In my case it would be protecting wildlife. He can protect himself just fine. A year ago when he was new there were catfights in the night. Not anymore. I am assuming Bryce is the king of the territory, or he is faster/sneakier than the bigger ones...

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Syzygys As a mother, I am telling you Valued Senior Member

If it was me, I would unban myself...

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Captain Kremmen All aboard, me Hearties! Valued Senior Member

Message from Sciforum Towers:

You may have noticed a nice little puggy cat, with a new bell round its neck.
    Any threat to said puss will result in IMMEDIATE BANNING!
    One member has been banned already, despite his 868 incisive and interesting posts.
    Do not threaten the cat.
    You have been warned.

Last edited: May 28, 2013
  6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Syzygys As a mother, I am telling you Valued Senior Member

You are funny Captain. I didn't ban him though.

I think I solved the door opening mystery. No, the cat can not open a fully closed door with a knob. But if I pull the door and it is almost fully closed (it looks like but a little push with a finger opens it) the cat can pry it open from inside. So I have to make sure when I close the door, I actually hear a click, thus I know the cat is a prisoner for good...

8. Syzygys As a mother, I am telling you Valued Senior Member

Today we have found another 2 dead chipmunks (one on the stairs, one in the basement, so not sure they were same day victims), thus the score currently is:

Bryce vs. chipmunks: 4 : 2

9. Syzygys As a mother, I am telling you Valued Senior Member

I have just saved one a few minutes ago. I caught the little poor thing like 4 times before I got a good grip.(I didn't want to squeeze it to death) A few hours ago I had a suspicion of having a live chipmunk in the room, because the dog acted very interested looking under my bed.

Another one died a few days ago, so the score is:

Bryce vs. chipmunks: 5:3

10. youreyes amorphous ocean Valued Senior Member

Only A WOMAN could suggest castration as the first solution.

Disgrace upon you.

11. Captain Kremmen All aboard, me Hearties! Valued Senior Member

A vet might suggest the same solution.
    Off with the goolies!

12. Syzygys As a mother, I am telling you Valued Senior Member

I think I already mentioned that he is castrated. Apparently, no big deal, after all Hitler also had only 1 ball....

13. Fraggle Rocker Staff Member

Good grief? What backward country do you live in? In the USA and most of the Western countries, it's routine to castrate male dogs and cats and spay female dogs and cats before they have their first heat. If you wait until they're older, they have already established behavior patterns that are difficult to eradicate. A male dog castrated at, say age 3 or 4, will still chase after females in heat. This gives them the extra strength to jump over fences, and the stupidity to run across a busy street.

If you have a population of un-neutered pets, they will copulate at every chance, and soon you will have more of the animals than the country can support. At this point they will either end up in a facility for euthanasia, or they will roam the countryside, killing wildlife and overturning garbage cans. Female dogs and cats usually come into heat twice a year, but not all at the same time. There will always be one-sixth of the female population in heat, and that pumps more than enough pheromones into the air to drive every male crazy within half a mile.

Who wants to live in a country like that???

If you have an intact female that you don't want to breed, you have to lock her up very sturdily. The males can knock down gates and jump through windows. And even then, what you've got is the males surrounding your house whining and barking and fighting among themselves at all hours of the day and night. And you've got a female who is constantly crying and whining.

This is intolerable!

People only do this in backward countries.

As I've noted earlier in this thread, every country's cat population should be locked indoors, or at least in a secure area from which they cannot escape. Cats who are allowed to roam kill billions of birds every year, and are a major factor in the near-extinction of some species. A cat that is un-neutered and allowed to run free can produce eight babies every year. This is a huge threat to the bird population, and only irresponsible, uncivilized people do this.

This is especially true in New Zealand, where the birds evolved in an ecosystem with no mammals so many of them are incapable of flight. (Except bats, who also arrived by flying across the sea, and bats do not attack birds.) Cats, rats and stoats (we Americans call them "ermines") were all introduced by British colonists, and they are ravaging the ecosystem.

14. Captain Kremmen All aboard, me Hearties! Valued Senior Member

British to the bone. I leave bird chasing to my American Cousins

Last edited: Jun 19, 2013
  15. Syzygys As a mother, I am telling you Valued Senior Member

Slightly related story:

A few days ago I was out on the porch with the animals. I thought I should have the camera with me, because the cat was acting silly. Anyhow, the dog was sitting next to me on the swing, the cat a bit farer by the stairs. Then out of nowhere a deer walks by (this is 4 pm in the afternoon by the way) and stops about 10 feet from the cat. All 3 of them were perfectly lined up for a shot, but I didn't have the camera!! I held the dog, so he wouldn't chase the deer. After a few seconds the deer walked away. I wouldn't have been surprised if the cat had gone after it...

But anyway, an excellent photo opportunity lost....

16. AlexG Like nailing Jello to a tree Valued Senior Member

This a savannah cat. My son wants one.

17. Captain Kremmen All aboard, me Hearties! Valued Senior Member

Fine animals. Do they hunt?
    They could probably kill large birds if they were so inclined.
    I imagine they require a lot of Kattomeat.

You can also get half savannahs.
    Someone is selling these beautifully marked cats for £250 in UK.
    Get on a plane now!

Last edited: Jun 19, 2013
  18. quinnsong Valued Senior Member