I have a question I need to be answered, major

Discussion in 'General Science & Technology' started by Ariadne2525, Aug 15, 2000.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ariadne2525 Member Registered Senior Member

I'm currently reading a Star Trek book call "The Captain's Honor", and in this book it mentions Hodgkin's Theory of parallel planetary developement.
    I'm writing a story that deals with two planets, Earth and some other, that are basically the same, down to the continental configuration.
    I'm wondering if there is anyway this is possible, or just some good explanation, true or false?
    If you can help me, Thank-YOU!

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Shadowflame Registered Senior Member

Theoretically, if the universe is completly infinite, chances are that somewhere out there, in a galaxy far, far away, there probably is a planet that similar, or nearly exactly like ours. I'm not sure, but it is possible.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Ariadne2525 Member Registered Senior Member

Thank-you so much! I am wanting to get as many opinions on this as I can. (which is no easy thing ~_^)

------------------
    Okay, here's the facts:

I'm not your average computer geek or science freak.

I'm not all that great in science, especially when the use of big words come into play.

I'm UNDER 18...

While in the Science Olympiad, I stank from here to high heaven.

I do enjoy Bill Nye the Science Guy.

My favorite subject is History.

I've never divulged myself in a book about Anti-Matter.

I don't do crazy chemistry experiment in the basement (basically because we don't have one, but that besid the point).

I'm an Aries.

I love science-fiction and anime.

I've actually aced several science tests.

I've never made any scientific modifications.

The best character on Star Wars Episode 1 was JAR JAAR BINKS!

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. dexter ROOT Registered Senior Member

hey, anythings possible, therietically things arnt possible, but relitivitally, everything is possible, it is possible that a rock you see as you waslk out your front door is teh god of the whoel universe, i mean, can you prove me wrong??? sure, rox arnt living (technically) but it is possoble, however unlikely,. and so i see no reason why there cant be another earth out there,the chances are 1/9999 in a bazzilliion,googooplexity trillion thing well something less than that, but remember.... anything is possible

------------------
    when christianity ruled the world, it was called the dark ages!

8. Ariadne2525 Member Registered Senior Member

Thanks!!!

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

------------------
    Okay, here's the facts:

I'm not all that great in science, especially when the use of big words come into play.

I'm UNDER 18...

I don't do crazy chemistry experiment in the basement (basically because we don't have one, but that besid the point).

I'm an Aries.

9. Shadowflame Registered Senior Member

It would be interesting to think of what would happen if we made contact with someone EXACTLY like us. The two diplomats with approach each other, look exactly alike, make the exact same movements and speech at the exact same time. It really kind of boggles the mind.

Questions? Comments? Concerns

10. Ariadne2525 Member Registered Senior Member

I wouldn't like it if I met my parallel self at all. I really pride myself in being different and in having individuality (sp?), and meeting someone exactly like me would comepletely take that away.

11. Peter Dolan Registered Senior Member

There was a sci-fi movie from the '60's or '70's that had a similar premise as yours. It was about an astronaut returning to what he thought was Earth, only this "Earth" turns out to be an exact duplicate with only one noticeable difference; everything is reversed or mirror-imaged from what it should be. The astronaut doesn't meet his "double" because presumably his double is on a duplicate mission as he and thus has arrived on the "other" Earth facing a similar predicament. Appropriately enough, I believe that the astronaut's capsule's call sign was Doppelganger.

12. Ariadne2525 Member Registered Senior Member

Wow, sounds like a cool movie. Do you remember it's name?

13. Oxygen One Hissy Kitty Registered Senior Member

Sounds like a Twilight Zone or Outer Limits episode.

14. Spadge Registered Senior Member

The movie you're are all talking about is called Doppelganger, although it was called Journey To The Far Side Of The Sun when released in the USA.

It was made in 1968 by Gerry & Sylvia Anderson and I'm pretty sure that it was actually the first time that they had ever used live actors instead of puppets. Made for Universal, it received an Academy Award nomination for special effects.

One thing I remember is that the spacesuits used in the film were exactly the same as the ones that they later used in the classic 70s sci fi series UFO.

[This message has been edited by Spadge (edited August 17, 2000).]

15. Ariadne2525 Member Registered Senior Member

Cool, I wonder if i could find it at Blockbuster....
    UFO sounds like it would be a neat show, Maybe Scifi still shows it around 3 in the morning or something...

16. Spadge Registered Senior Member

Ariadne

If you want to know about one of the coolest sci fi series ever made (UFO) simply go to
    http://ufo.simplenet.com/

17. Ariadne2525 Member Registered Senior Member

Thanks, Spadge! Checking out,...now!

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

18. Peter Dolan Registered Senior Member

I liked the old Quinn Martin Production, "The Invaders" about the aliens in human guise. Unlike other sci-fi shows of the time which needed some outlandish appearances in their aliens, the hideousness of "The Invaders" came from their very lack of distinguishable traits; the "unseen enemy among us" quality that seems to still come up in the alien-hybrid stories that one hears about these days.

19. Ariadne2525 Member Registered Senior Member

cooooooool!

20. Raebeth Registered Member

Coooler than that Spadge. I've just been to the UFO site. That's just wicked! Drop me a note if you know of any more great sites. I just love this stuff!

21. Ariadne2525 Member Registered Senior Member

For those of you who have seen UFO: Compared to the Twilight Zone, what would you rate UFO?

------------------
    Okay, here's the facts:

I'm UNDER 18...

I'm an Aries.

22. Spadge Registered Senior Member

I have to admit to be a bit biased here as UFO was a big favourite of mine. It's also difficult to compare them at all as the two programmes were so different. However, if we're talking sci fi progs in general, then UFOs ultra cool hardware, sexy costumes and fashions, great scripts, great special effects and a truly fantastic theme tune do mean it takes some beating. Also, considering it first went out in about 1970, it's aged remarkably well and still looks pretty good today.

I just could not believe this programme when it first came out and I thought it was the greatest thing I'd ever seen. I have to admit that I still have great fondness for it now.

[This message has been edited by Spadge (edited August 30, 2000).]

23. Bowser Namaste Valued Senior Member

"Hodgkin's Theory of parallel planetary developement" Is this where the Roman Empire survives? How do you plan on writing an interesting twist to the cultural developement of the parallel planet in your story? Where will the parallel end and the story begin?

------------------
    It's all very large.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.