I need some interesting info

Discussion in 'Astronomy, Exobiology, & Cosmology' started by Shorty, Aug 8, 1999.

1. Shorty Guest

Ok, here's the deal, I'm a bored 13 year old who is into physics, math, astronomy, astrophysics, ect. so obviously, I have had very littl to do this summer seeing as how few people my age share the same intrests. I am especially interest4ed is black holes and other exiting stuff like that. If you have any ounce of interesting information that I could use to ponder or investigate, I would ever so greatly appreciate it. And if any of you have any good college info for any college that is any good at astrophysics degree's, prlease tell me cause I'm already planing out what college to go to since I have nothing else ton do this summer. Oh, and one last kthing, if kyou work for NASA, SETTI, ect., please leave an e-mail address.Thanks ! : o)

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Xeno Registered Senior Member

Short,
    That's good for you. I am really
    interested in blackholes and space and
    I'm only 15.
    -------------------------------------
    2 years ago when I were you age,
    my twin brother and I were bored
    just like you are this summer.
    My brother spent a bit of his summer
    researching space and he knows quite
    a bit on it.
    -------------------------------------

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

Ha ha ha, two years have passed
    since I was 13 and I'm still bored
    just as much as I was then.

-Dan

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Plato Registered Senior Member

How about shortening the summervacation ? Wouldn't that pull your minds out of boredom ?

------------------
    we are midgets standing on the backs of giants,
    Plato

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Phantasm66 Registered Member

Go onto the internet and read about the point of singularity and what an event horizon is.

In brief, a black hole has such a gravitation pull that if you were falling into one, you would eventually reach a point where you would need to be travelling at a speed faster than the speed of light to escape. And since you can't travel faster than the speed of light (theory of relativity), you won't escape. That's the event horizon - you ARE going to hit the singularity in the centre and there is no way to stop it after you reach this reach this point of no return.

Of course, there is much more than that. Much, much more. You will have to read about it for yourself, but you sound clever enough to get it. I can't remember the URL of where I got all of this information, but just like a black hole, it's out there. If I remember I will post saying where it is.

I was into black holes when I was your age too.

8. Phantasm66 Registered Member

...oh, and since the point after the event horizon requires light to have to travel faster than light to escape (impossible) then if you fell into a black hole, if someone was watching in a space ship from outside, they would never see you go past the event horizon, they would only see you hover there for the rest of eternity, because the light of your falling in would never emerge from the black hole.

It's true.

Just don't try it at home.

9. Phantasm66 Registered Member

...oh, and there may also be such a thing as a white hole as well, spewing matter back into the universe again....

But I have said enough about all of this now. Go read a big fat book on it. "A Brief History of Time" by Stephen Hawkin is a very good one for all that stuff.

10. Shorty Registered Member

Thanks for all the replies and sorry about the really bad spelling in my topic starter. I was hurrying and didn't have time to edit it. But to Phantasm66, I've already read the book. When I said that I was into black holes, I meant that I know practically all the info about black holes that can be found in books and the internet. Now I'm just looking for the stuff that isn't in the books. And I'd also love to get info on stuff other than black holes. Oh, and by the way, did you notice that now I'm an official member of this BB. Yeah!