I torture my cat...

Discussion in 'Free Thoughts' started by Challenger78, Aug 16, 2009.

1. Challenger78 Valued Senior Member

I keep on hugging it to death. It's so cute.

I would of course, get scratches and what not. But it's gotten used to me now..

It's cute, the suckling they do to your finger, It hurts, but it's cute.

So, Am I an animal torturer now ?

2. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Enmos Valued Senior Member

I don't know. Do you let him go if he wants to?

4. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Enmos Valued Senior Member

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

The space.. the SPACE!

What's this then? I'm trying to get rid of it, while you adopt it?
    :facepalm:

6. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Challenger78 Valued Senior Member

Only after a lot of kicking and screaming. Well, I stop after he started mewing consistently.

8. Challenger78 Valued Senior Member

You try to get rid of something that is essentially, non existence ?.

Punctuation NAZI ! ? .! . (G o o d w i n 's l a w).

9. Enmos Valued Senior Member

Aww.. :bugeye:
    If that's some sort of close contact therapy to make him like being petted more, that's not going to work. He needs to become used to the idea that petting is a nice and unrestrained occurrence, otherwise he'll just try to avoid you. You might be able to condition him into keeping quiet while you hug him but it will be obvious that he doesn't like it.
    Consider this, how would you feel if someone is constantly trying to hug you by force? I think you'll stay away from that person after one or two times..

10. Enmos Valued Senior Member

I'm forcing myself to like the non-spaced version better.
    So far it isn't exactly working

11. Challenger78 Valued Senior Member

I figured that out after he gave me a trim for my beard. I've been giving him treats and then petting him.

Also, is there a way to make them respond to calls by name ?

12. Enmos Valued Senior Member

I think you'll be lucky if he does. Try only calling his name if there's something in it for him if he comes.
    Mine now respond to "come". They look at me as if they are trying to figure out what I mean and they usually get up and see what they're getting out of it.
    Mostly it means that I'm going to put the garden door ajar or that I'm going to feed them. They know that.
    Calling them using "come" when they are outside and I want them to come inside usually isn't persuasive enough because they know that the garden door will be closed once they are inside.
    What often works is tapping two saucers together (the ones they get their food in) so that it makes a sound they associate with food.
    In the beginning I did the same with a pack of cat treats (I shook it), but they figured that one out.. lol
    Just make sure you actually give them food when you lure them inside with it or else they figure it out pretty quickly.

Edit: You have only one cat, so he may just listen to his name. Only when it suits him of course

I have two and becasue of that they hardly associate their name with anything.

Last edited: Aug 16, 2009
  13. Crunchy Cat F-in' *meow* baby!!! Valued Senior Member

If you kiss the bridge of his nose then it's torture... but only then.

14. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

Your cat will get used to being petted and then feel despondent if you don't oblige. he will come and rub her forehead on your arms, knead your stomach, sit on your chest [or head or leg, or against an arm] and ask for attention. I have one cat who sits up on the sink when we brush our teeth and plays with our ears [he's a silly fellow in many ways, although we haven't raised him, he's more of a housecat than many others we did raise]

Yeah, use their names when calling them, scolding them. Don't pick them up, call them and get them to respond by standing in front of them and using their names. All my cats know their names. Not only that, they also know the other cats names and know when they are being called to be fed something special [I have a couple of finicky cats, you call one from the kitchen and the other ones know they are going for goodies and will trail in hopefully even if they have already eaten, they don't do this if you call them at other times. For example, to scold them]. They also know when they are being addressed, for example Ajju usually retires to the attic after a fight, but if you stand under the loft and call him, he comes down.

Last edited: Aug 17, 2009
  15. superstring01 Moderator

My two cats know their names. Milo and Oliver. They each come when called. . . if they feel like it. When I call Oliver (my fat cat) he will almost always come. Milo (the kitty, though not a kitty anymore) will perk his head from his slumber, then go back to sleep. When I call Milo, he comes most times, but often times plays hard-to-get. He demands more than just a name-calling. He wants squeeling and clicking. I usually oblige like some punk bitch. After several moments, he'll come prancing across the house, purring so loud that I swear to Allah that the neighbors can hear him. Fat-assed Oliver barely purrs, and when he does, it's nearly inaudible.

They are both jealous of the other and any but the most superficial attention to one usually brings the other. Interloping on the other's play time with me, the "ignored" one usually croaks (my cats don't meow, ever) or sequels. It's weird. I saw a cat show on Discovery that said that meowing is usually for humans and cats don't usually do it for each other. If it was a desired effect (so said the program), we normally would have to initiate it ourselves. So, like some half-touched old woman I meow to my cats in the hopes that one day they'd return the favor. To no avail!

I sound like a goddamned fool when I talk to them. "Kitty-speak" is usually higher pitched, poorly conjugated [squealing: "What is you doings, Meeloo (Milo)?"]. If any of my employees ever heard me talk to my cats, they'd never listen to a thing I said to them again. It's a good thing that it's just my boyfriend and me in my home.

~String

16. GeoffP Caput gerat lupinum Valued Senior Member

No...but I shudder to think what else you are.

:huh:

17. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

Haha, I do that sometimes [the kitty speak] and all our cats meow when they want a treat or when they want to be let out for a stroll. They also meow when they want to wake us up, which can be a pain in the butt sometimes. But usually we just speak to them like we do to anyone else in the house. They do have a habit of "talking"when we talk to them. e.g. if I were to call Bagga, he is the chatty type, he will "answer". Ajju is the strong silent type and usually lets you know he heard by wagging only the tip of his tail [its very cute]. He'll do it for as long as you're talking to him for any reason, even when he's abashed.
    He's also more stubborn and won't be kicked out. The minute you tell him, Ajju, go out, he responds by falling flat on his back.

18. superstring01 Moderator

Ah, try having them lay on their backs, slide their paws under the door and scratch the wood base of said door at 5am, DEMANDING breakfast. Nothing works. They are sneaky bitches. I've come running out with a spray bottle, but they are too quick and are usually hiding somewhere (having heard--with their ultra-sonic-military-grade ears--me springing from my bed to run to the door). I've lain in wait for them and grabbed their paws as they put them under the door to scare the shit out of them. Doesn't work.

Every morning, the dull scrape of kitty nails on the underside of my door.

~String

19. superstring01 Moderator

You've described Milo to a "t". Both are not permitted in my bedroom or the bathroom (doors kept closed), but the little bastard sneaks in. When I catch him he flops on his back, demanding belly rubs.

~String

20. Asguard Kiss my dark side Valued Senior Member

string, could be worse. At least its underneath the door rather than them scratching the paintwork

21. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

Hmm I have it better then, they have the run of the house and grace one or the other of us with their presence. If you grumble when they wake you [usually with meows in the ears and wet kisses] they let you snooze for a few more minutes. Or try waking someone else.

22. superstring01 Moderator

It's a ritual, one that I grumble about, but would miss. It's a quick dash to the kitchen, sprinkles of cat food in the bowl, and back to bed. We both do our part in the dance and get something of value out of it.

~String

23. Gustav Banned Banned

i might be mistaken but are you not the guy who lobbed a cat off a 3 story building?