iam new here from Afghanistan

Discussion in 'General Science & Technology' started by princelove, Jan 25, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sandy Banned Banned

You can make your IP from anywhere you want. There is free software all over the net to do it. I thought you all were supposed to be so brilliant?
    princelove sounds kind of like that fishychickie person, no? Maybe they're related.

Last edited: Feb 4, 2010
  2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. ripleofdeath Registered Senior Member

welcome
    i wish your country peace and equality.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. madanthonywayne Morning in America Registered Senior Member

That's because America is a big place and most Americans rarely meet anyone from other countries. So if someone asks where you're from, it's assumed that you're from America unless you speak with an accent.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. kenworth dude...**** it,lets go bowling Registered Senior Member

just seems like the reflex has gone too far when you assume that a japanese teenager knows where ohio is

8. Fraggle Rocker Staff Member

Many people actually do know where California and Washington DC are, but for the record:

California, my home, occupies the southern half of America's Pacific coastline and extends eastward over a very high mountain range for about 250 miles (400km). Los Angeles and San Francisco are its most famous cities, but we live near much smaller Eureka, which is 300 miles (480km) north of San Francisco and near the top of the state. California has beaches for swimming, mountains for skiing, deserts, forests, farms, and of course Hollywood and Disneyland.

Washington DC (District of Columbia) where I work is around the midpoint of America's Atlantic coastline. It is the nation's capital and therefore is separate from all of the 50 states. It is primarily the place of government and the homes of the people who work for the government, but obviously it has stores, restaurants, bars, and other businesses to serve their needs. It has about 600,000 people and occupies approximately 300 square miles (750sqkm). My second home is actually about 15 miles (25km) north of Washington in the state of Maryland. Millions of people who work in Washington live in the nearby suburbs in Virginia and Maryland.

Maryland and Virginia are in the "Northern" and "Southern" regions of the USA; i.e., they fought on opposite sides during our Civil War in the 1860s, which resulted in the end of slavery when the North won. There is still significant animosity between Northerners and Southerners, and between Americans of European ancestry (colloquially called "white people") and Americans of African ancestry (colloquially called "black people"). In fact, 145 years after the war Afro- and Euro-Americans still maintain separate communities with their own music, social customs, and dialect of English. Since the 1960s there has been a massive effort to integrate us and it has had significant success. Our current President is a symbol of this success: the son of an Afro-American father and a Euro-American mother. Nonetheless integration has a long way to go before it is complete.
    Please come to the Linguistics subforum where you will find more people who are both able and interested in helping.

To correct this post:
    • Please be diligent about using capital letters appropriately. This is very important in English and if you do not capitalize when necessary your writing will always look like a child's.
    • Also, be sure to use punctuation marks: period, comma, question mark, etc. Some of our members write poorly but please don't regard them as your teachers.
    • Correction:

Thanks, friend. What do you thnk about my English, friends? I think I know a little English, but some of my friends told me, "You cannot speak English." What are some ways to speak better?
    • Thanks, friend. Capitalize the first word in every sentence and end every sentence with a period (unless it is a question).
    • "Thanks" and "friend" are not closely related in the sentence so you must put a comma between them.
    • What do you think about my English, friends? You can't put "friends" in the middle of the sentence at random. Put the name or title of the person or people you're talking to at the beginning or at the end, separated by a comma. There are other ways to do this but they are more complicated. Stick with the easy way for now.
    • Remember to capitalize England, English, and all names and adjectives derived from names: Sanskrit, Polynesian, Atlantic, Martian.
    • This sentence ends here so close it with a punctuation mark. Since it's a question, use a question mark rather than a period.
    • I know a little English but some of my friends told me... The second clause disagrees with the first: your friends don't think you know as much English as you think you do. So you need to use but instead of and.
    • Some of my friends told me, "You cannot speak English." You are introducing a direct quotation so you must precede it with a comma, begin it with a capital letter, end it with a period, and enclose it in quotation marks.
    • What are some ways to speak better. If you say the ways, you are asking for all of them.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

• To speak better, not to I speak better. A verb preceded by to is an infinitive, and an infinitive does not take a subject.
    • There is never a space between the last word in a sentence and the period or question mark that ends it. You may find exceptions in technical writing, which contains numbers, URLs, etc., but not in prose.

9. Grim_Reaper I Am Death Destroyer of Worlds Registered Senior Member

Hey Princelove hows it hanging welcome to the forum

10. princelove Registered Senior Member

Thanks alot, i Catched useful ways from you. Again and again thanks alot

11. Norsefire Salam Shalom Salom Registered Senior Member

Welcome, Princelove. I hope you enjoy your stay at Sciforums.

Please, feel free to introduce yourself in the member's area and get involved in the discussions; also, read the rules and be well aware them.

I look forward to your contributions.

12. superstring01 Moderator

Yeah, brainiac, then he/she must have bought a program that allows him to speak tribal languages with SAM.

Seriously, learn to read or just leave. You won't be missed.

~String

13. Norsefire Salam Shalom Salom Registered Senior Member

Sure, it could be fake...........but I doubt it. Most of us have better things to do. Besides, it's good to have a person from Afghanistan here; it'll certainly add to the conversations.

14. princelove Registered Senior Member

Thanks friends My aim is here to learn English as English men.

15. princelove Registered Senior Member

I am lucky here and have good friends , Maybe you correct my English mistake in my conversation and forums.

16. Norsefire Salam Shalom Salom Registered Senior Member

No problem:

First of all, the comma between friends and maybe is not correctly placed; it's what we call a "comma splice". Use the ";" if you want to separate two parts in a sentence without a word like "and" or "or" or "but", etc

"you correct" needs to be "you can correct". Other words could be: should, would, could, will, must, etc

"my English mistake"........this could be correct, but I take it you are referring to mistakes collectively..........so make sure you add an "s" to mistake to make it "mistakes" if you are talking about mistakes in general. The same goes for conversation........should be conversations. And unless you own many forums, I think you meant "my conversation IN [the] forums".

17. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

Dari is a dialect of Persian.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

If I was better at Persian I could probably understand him/her more.

18. princelove Registered Senior Member

I wish you were knew Dari Sam

19. superstring01 Moderator

Where does "Farsi" fit in? Or is it the same thing?

I used to mow lawns for a surgeon from Iran (big house [Rocky River, on the lake], crappy car [Chevette], never understood why). He taught me a few profane words in Farsi. Very good sense of humor. Was a closet bacon eater. I had to help him clean out his garage fridge when his mother came to visit.

~String

20. princelove Registered Senior Member

Thanks Friends i know dari or persian as better than English whould you correct my english mistakes

21. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

Farsi is Persian for Persian

22. superstring01 Moderator

I'll leave the grammar lessons to others. Though, I hope people just correct you in private. Eons ago when I was studying overseas, I quickly tired of all the corrections Spanish people offered. Oddly enough, they are as protective of Castillian as the French are of their language, except Spaniards are just a lot more polite about it:
    Unknown elderly lady on the street, to me: Oh, no dear. You misused the subjunctive in this case. The past preterit will suffice just fine, you have a beautiful accent though. Then she smiled, said, "Adios!" and walked away.
    Spanish passion for language doesn't come from insecurity or fear of losing it. They just seemed to enjoy "helping" others to speak it better.

~String

23. princelove Registered Senior Member

Sam you are correct farsi is persian

but in afghanistan we talk in dari but iranian talk in farsi

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.