Identifying 5 Powders

Discussion in 'Chemistry' started by SoulSlayer1337, May 18, 2014.

1. SoulSlayer1337 Registered Member

In our school we were supposed to collect 5 different types of powders set up by the teacher in the classroom. Unfortunately, my group was the last, therefore, we barely got any powders and no other groups would share theirs. So basically, I was planning to do a Ph, Water, Biuret, Iodine, Vinegar, and heating test in order to identify each powder based on their properties. However, I don't know how much powder I will need for each test. Does anyone have any advice?

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. origin Heading towards oblivion Valued Senior Member

The first thing I would do is let the teacher know your team is at a disadvantage.

Secondly you will not need much material if you are careful with your measurements. Use pipets instead of graduated cylinders and do dilutions. The biggest challenge will be weighing out the powders, hopefully you have a high precision scale.

Good luck.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. SoulSlayer1337 Registered Member

Hi and thanks for the reply. I had already let my teacher know, and although he said he will supply us with some extra, so far we've got nothing. I think I will simply end up borrowing some from my friends, but since we've got all the necessary equipment I will try to go as far as I can with what we already have.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.