"If I am right, I go to heaven, if you are right, you die anyway."

Discussion in 'Religion Archives' started by garbonzo, Apr 6, 2012.

1. Jan Ardena OM!!! Valued Senior Member

wynn,

That too.

You would say that, as you are attempting to conceal your position.

I prefer other compartments of your mind, i'll admit to that.
    But i prefer the company of fundie-atheists at the moment.

Tell him he's wasting his time, it;s a decoy.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

jan.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. wynn ˙ Valued Senior Member

Ooooh.

Such as?

Oh? Out for an easy catch? Bad Jan!

My heart is a decoy? Now, that's a new one!

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Jan Ardena OM!!! Valued Senior Member

wynn,

Ahhhh.

That's simple.
    You seem to have a natural flair for philosophy, in that you express it inyour
    conversation without it seeming like philosophy. When you are in the right mood, your questions, answers, and observations tend to be nicely balanced, and objective. You're, in my mind, obviously well read, and have a good fund of knowledge and information, and as such can offer some challenging points from any point of view, on alot of subjects that are of a philosophical nature. To say you're not english, and english is not your first language, you have an excellent, and consistent command of it. For me, this is a reflection of your academic prowess, and I think anyone who talks to you would agree with me, if they were being honest. I think your presence here is quite an important one, when you are in a balanced state of mind.

Not really, and definately not in the sense that they are simple, or that I think they are, even though in the heat of the moment it may come across like that.

It's simple for me, because they are definate about their position, and they have points that emphasise their definate-ness.

It makes coming here, above all, enjoyable alot of the time.
    Also they make me think about my own position.

Obviously I don't know you, so it's only based on your cyber character and personality. So I shouldn't read too much into it, unless I'm eerily close, then you'd probably be interested in how I come to be so accurate.

jan.

jan.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. wynn ˙ Valued Senior Member

And you think that now, I am not in a "balanced state of mind"?
    Oh dear.

Nah, I thought you were just another theist teaming up with another theist.
    There is just one person here at the forums who can break my heart. (And it's not you.) An actual wizard from Oz he is ...

I suppose you think that all this is easy for me, and that my problems with theism and theists are ... just an intellectual pastime. I assure you, they are not.

8. Jan Ardena OM!!! Valued Senior Member

wynn,

That's how it comes across, to me.

Oh!

I'll just f--k-off then, shall I?

:

I'm more inclined to think that you can use common-sense to work them out.
    Why bother get yourself in a huff, if you don't have to?

Or is it just a female thing? To love the drama.

jan.

9. wynn ˙ Valued Senior Member

Things like these make me wonder whether, perhaps, you're actually incredibly shallow, and whether perhaps your theism is shallow, too.

10. Jan Ardena OM!!! Valued Senior Member

Why?

jan.

11. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

You don't have to wonder. I've had better conversations with a brick.

12. Balerion Banned Banned

Had many conversations with a brick, have we?

13. Mr. Hamtastic whackawhackado! Registered Senior Member

Yep, this is the sort of thing I remember so joyfully, that makes me miss it here so much.

I have no good argument, so you are clearly broken or stupid or whatever. How very original. I assume this gives you some sort of joy or something? Fulfillment?

Well, you enjoy that. Drop me a line if either side wants to bring up some real proof of their position. Objective proof. Otherwise, the argument is completely pointless.

14. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

Back for more Mr. Ham?

15. Balerion Banned Banned

I would have to disagree with you as it relates to the conversation having no point without the most stringent proof. For one, it is at the present time impossible to disprove the possibility of a creator, and as of yet no one has provided any credible evidence for one's existence. To refuse to have the discussion until such knock-down evidences can be presented is to in all likelihood shut down the discussion forever. And there are moral and philosophical discussions that can be--need to be, even--had that make no reference to the existence of a god or gods.

Short of that, there is plenty of evidence against the validity of the various faiths, both empirical and circumstantial, and while they not disprove the concept of "God" they certainly can show beyond any reasonable doubt that the gods of the Abrahamic faiths (or God, if you prefer) is the product of human imagination.

16. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

Not too many, but wow.

17. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

That's only because what I described were unsupported assumptions. It's still possible that my parents are not my biological ones. I think it's unlikely in my case, but it could happen. I'm sure it's happened before that an adopted child didn't learn about it until much later.

18. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

I'm going to kale, much healthier.

19. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

What an interesting coincidence! Your religion happens to teach that you are saved and others are not. This is certainly unique among the world's religions.

20. lightgigantic Banned Banned

regardless its still clear that you are quite comfortable supporting assertions outside of empirical models ... unless we happen to breach the subject of god

:shrug:

21. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

The difference is I recognize that some assertions are unsupported. I can't think of a decision that depends on my parents being my biological parents beyond a reasonable doubt. Yet there are numerous decisions that religious people make based on the existence of God.

22. wynn ˙ Valued Senior Member

I tend to agree with Spidergoat.

Most things that we ordinarily claim certainty of are either not that relevant to our lives, or there is room for us to change our mind about them, or there is already a socially accepted belief and practice in the case that something we had believed to be true turns out to be false.

For example: most scientific theories; whether one's spouse is faithful; fraud in the workplace.

Issues of existence of God, however, are categorically different. The epistemological and other practices that we employ in uncertainty about ordinary things do not apply when it comes to uncertainty about "God."

One can recover after being betrayed by one's spouse, one can seek a new employment, one can sue, one can broaden one's horizons about scientific theories.

But what is one supposed to do when one's doubts about what one has been taught on the topic of "God" reach a critical mass?

Last edited: May 1, 2012
  23. wynn ˙ Valued Senior Member

Because you talk about it in such light manner.