If, if, if, if, if the Big Bang theory is true…

Discussion in 'General Science & Technology' started by g.owen, Feb 19, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. g.owen horseman with a banner Registered Senior Member

If the Big Bang theory is true, the universe is expanding outward from its center, and the universe is slowing down, is our measure of DISTANT time accurate? A year is how long it takes for the earth to circle the sun one time. And if the universe is slowing down (along with our sun expanding), it should be accurate to say that an earth year 1000 years ago was SHORTER than a year today – only we would not know it unless we somehow stepped out of our time system and compared the two using a different time measure. If you go farther back in time, the year gets even shorter (if you used a different time measure). Yet, a year is still a year. This blows my mind. Please explain.

And if this is true, what are the implications for our methods of measuring distant time. It seems conceivable to me that a year that occurred thousands of years ago could be much, much shorter than a year today – how much shorter depends on how quickly the universe is decelerating.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

Hopefully, I am not resurrecting a dead horse to beat some more.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. cato less hate, more science Registered Senior Member

well, you may be right (not sure) that it now takes longer to orbit the sun than it did at some time in the past. however, the difference is imperceptible. the farther things are apart, the faster they move apart. the earth and sun are practically the same point in terms of the large scale of the visible universe.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. BenTheMan Dr. of Physics, Prof. of Love Valued Senior Member

I'm sure people will crawl out of the woodwork to pimp their own theories of everything, but the fact remains that all of the cosmological experiments we have preformed seem to imply that the Big Bang actually did occur. Another set of experiments show that the universe is speeding up, not slowing down.

The sun may expand by a little bit I am not sure about this), but it wouldn't change the average radius. The distance between the centers of mass is what's important.

Well, there are limits on this kind of thing from radioactive decays of atoms that have been around since the earth was formed.

Also, I should point out that, even though the universe is in a period of accelerated expansion, that the force responsible for the expansion (dark energy) is overpowered by the attractive force within our galaxy---gravity. So the expansion is happening only in between the galaxies, where gravity is very very weak.

Hope this helps.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.