If women thought and acted like men, would men like it and respect women?

Discussion in 'Religion' started by Greatest I am, Aug 26, 2013.

1. Greatest I am Valued Senior Member

If women thought and acted like men, would men like it and respect women?

Try to imagine the thoughts going through this woman’s mind, which to me is a good representation of what men are thinking as they go through their normal day to day interactions with women.

http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_mbwy9cVdqS1rdvimno1_250.gif

I could not find any clips of women speaking as these men do, but if you can imagine a woman saying the same type of things about men, what would you think of those women?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I6PjAYNl24E

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NeFhA_sL38c

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Imagine if the following were women speaking of men instead of men speaking of women.

The second century St. Clement of Alexandria wrote: "Every woman should be filled with shame by the thought that she is a woman."

The Church father Tertullian explained why women deserve their status as despised and inferior human beings:

"And do you not know that you are an Eve? The sentence of God on this sex of yours lives in this age: the guilt must of necessity live too. You are the devil's gateway: you are the unsealer of that tree: you are the first deserter of the divine law: you are she who persuaded him whom the devil was not valiant enough to attack. You destroyed so easily God's image, man. On account of your desert that is, death even the Son of God had to die."

The sixth century Christian philosopher, Boethius, wrote in The Consolation of Philosophy, "Woman is a temple built upon a sewer."

In the tenth century Odo of Cluny declared, "To embrace a woman is to embrace a sack of manure..."

St. Thomas Aquinas suggested that God had made a mistake in creating woman: "nothing [deficient] or defective should have been produced in the first establishment of things; so woman ought not to have been produced then."

And my favorite.
    “If a woman grows weary and, at last, dies from childbearing, it matters not. Let her die from bearing - she is there to do it.”
    - Martin Luther

My fellow men.
    What would you tell any woman who talked and acted the way the men shown above talked and acted?

If you would not respect such women, what makes you think that men deserve women’s respect for the way we think?

Let me broaden your thinking before your reply.

http://www.ted.com/talks/colin_stokes_how_movies_teach_manhood.html

Do men deserve the respect of women?

Regards
    DL

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. sculptor Valued Senior Member

Women ain't men
    and
    Men ain't women
    and
    I kinda like it just the way it is

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. arauca Banned Banned

Sorry I don't care for tom boys , I am a proton protons attract electron , and proton repel proton .

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. wegs Matter and Pixie Dust Valued Senior Member

Hey GIA;

I think while some of those examples are extreme, there has always been a double standard between men and women. If women sleep around for example, they're labeled harsher than if men do. Men are called players and given a high five, while women are looked at as misbehaving and classless. Not advocating sleeping around; it's just an observation.

The show, Sex and the City did a fairly good job of showing in a satirical way, women being comfortable with themselves and bold in the bedroom and all that jazz.

But the show fell short to me, because women shouldn't aspire to be like men. The show depicted the female cast as being desperate for any man to take them to bed. Lol Think they missed the mark there with trying to show women in an empowered light.
    As a woman, I don't feel the desire to compete with men or behave like one.

But be careful GIA. Not all men treat women with disrespect.
    Some do. I've met classy guys and not so classy guys.

So, it's not a hard and fast rule kinda thing.

It will be interesting to see how this thread evolves.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

8. ElectricFetus Sanity going, going, gone Valued Senior Member

Not all men are thinking of sex all the time and endlessly horny, not all women are devoid of sexual desire and virginal.

I hate when people tell other people what is right and wrong in accordance with gender, especially when someone says "well as a [Man/women] I feel/don't feel/think..." No you do no have the right to speak for all of your gender, what you like, want or are comfortable with sexually is not the same as others of your very gender and you should not speak for them. Doubly so for speaking about generalization of the opposite gender! As an egalitarian I take issue with telling people how they should seek happiness sexually or in accordance with their gender: it is up to the individual to find what makes them happy what makes them "feel good" and it is none of your business!

Women on average are generally believed to be less horny then men, but I have yet to see a social/sexological study to verify this. We do know there is a lot of social pressure on women to curtail their sexual habits, that it is "sluty", while male sexuality is usually celebrated and male celibacy is suspect to accusations of "is something wrong with you?" or "are you gay?" Women also have much logically to think about before getting in bed like the fear of pregnancy (the worse STD!) which affects women directly and much more physically than men, and as such many women may be more hesitate about sex for purely logical reasons.

9. wegs Matter and Pixie Dust Valued Senior Member

Since you posted this in the religion section, it should be underscored that women were and still are oppressed by men, in the "name of religion."

Jesus seemed like a revolutionary in this regard, however. He seemed to treat women with equity.
    Unlike his peers.
    (Paul comes to mind)

Men who disparage women as weaker and less than, in my eyes, have issues that probably go back to childhood.
    Words of advice given to me and I pass it to other women here...

If you wish to see how you will end up being treated by a guy, watch how he treats his mother.

At any rate, it's a shame that double standards and such exist. Maybe one day, they won't.

10. Bells Staff Member

Or people can be respected regardless of their sex.

11. arauca Banned Banned

12. ElectricFetus Sanity going, going, gone Valued Senior Member

This is a serious problem with people in generally: they think what they "experience" is true everywhere, no individual experience does not mean it true by a long shot, for example I heard claims to the opposite in fact, what you should do is ask "Is there a study which tracks how much sex and how much sex is wanted by women pre and post menapause" and search for that, that is the only evidence you can have any hope of relying on.

13. arauca Banned Banned

14. billvon Valued Senior Member

And if you want to see how he will treat you in ten years, watch how he treats waiters.

15. arauca Banned Banned

Well we are not al equal so each case is different , so the statistics are not very useful

16. arauca Banned Banned

That is a good one .

17. wegs Matter and Pixie Dust Valued Senior Member

Hey;

Not all ppl carry the double standard around but in some circles, women who have sex outside of marriage for example, are sometimes viewed differently than men who do the same.

At the end of the day, just be yourself.
    If someone judges you based on gender, religion, etc without getting to know the real you...you just have to keep moving and not take it personally.

arauca, I feel like this is déjà vu from my sexism thread.

18. wegs Matter and Pixie Dust Valued Senior Member

This x 1000!

19. wegs Matter and Pixie Dust Valued Senior Member

Very true.

20. ElectricFetus Sanity going, going, gone Valued Senior Member

No statistics are very useful: you were saying "women after menopause become less sexually active" only statistics can verify if this is true on average, of course many people will be outside the average but a statement like "women after menopause become less sexually active" we can only hope is speaking of averages, for certainly not ever single women on earth, ever, fits this statement.

21. quinnsong Valued Senior Member

HA HA, so good!

22. quinnsong Valued Senior Member

Gee, I think we are done here!:cheers:

23. sculptor Valued Senior Member

a few days(weeks?) ago I asked my beloved spouse to do something for me.
    and
    she said: "I'm not here to serve you"
    ok?
    so I responded: "What, ... You didn't read the manual?"

.............OK?
    So' I served her some coffee the next morn just before her alarm went off, gave her a cold wet washcloth to refresh her face, and said
    "As per our conversation yesterday, ... It's a balance thing"

I was raised by a single woman who was old school. Men hold doors for women. Men seat the women first at table, then seat themselves.
    Men offer women their seats in crowded conveyances. Men offer to carry heavy packages for women.

Can you follow this bouncing ball into sexual behaviors?