I'm an astronomer and I think aliens may be out there—but UFO sightings aren't persuasive

Discussion in 'UFOs, Ghosts and Monsters' started by paddoboy, Dec 4, 2020.

1. paddoboy Valued Senior Member

https://phys.org/news/2020-12-im-astronomer-aliens-therebut-ufo.html

extracts:
    If intelligent aliens visit the Earth, it would be one of the most profound events in human history.

As Carl Sagan said, "Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence."

UFO means unidentified flying object. Nothing more, nothing less.

The majority of UFOs appear to people in the United States. It's curious that Asia and Africa have so few sightings despite their large populations, and even more surprising that the sightings stop at the Canadian and Mexican borders.

Scientists do not discount the idea of aliens. But they aren't convinced by the evidence to date because it is unreliable, or because there are so many other more mundane explanations.

Modern myth and religion:

UFOs are part of the landscape of conspiracy theories, including accounts of abduction by aliens and crop circles created by aliens. I remain skeptical that intelligent beings with vastly superior technology would travel trillion of miles just to press down our wheat.

But a study of young adults did find that UFO belief is associated with schizotypal personality, a tendency toward social anxiety, paranoid ideas and transient psychosis. If you believe in UFOs, you might look at what other unconventional beliefs you have.

Much more including interesting video at link.....................

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. DaveC426913 Valued Senior Member

A good place for this.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

paddoboy likes this.
  4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. paddoboy Valued Senior Member

Supplementary article.....
    Agreed. I made a booboo sticking it in cosmology and have asked for it to be deleted/scrubbed. Thanks to the mod [Tiassa ] for removing as requested.

Last edited: Dec 4, 2020
  6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. paddoboy Valued Senior Member

8. paddoboy Valued Senior Member

Very very pertinent and worthy of critique and mentioning, in any debate on any particular way out claim, by any individual.
    That along with the first undeniably accurate summation from the OP thus.............................
    "If intelligent aliens visit the Earth, it would be one of the most profound events in human history".