I'm Universalist so to what degree do I really Prostylitize?

Discussion in 'About the Members' started by Dennis Tate, Apr 26, 2021.

?

To what degree is Dennis Tate GUILTY of proselytizing on Sciforums?

1. One to ten percent GUILTY of proselytizing

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Eleven to twenty percent guilty of proselytizing

1 vote(s)
    50.0%
  3. Twenty one to thirty percent guilty of proselytizing

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Thirty one to forty percent guilty of proselytizing

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. More than forty percent guilty of proselytizing

1 vote(s)
    50.0%
  1. Dennis Tate Valued Senior Member

My wife and kids can tell you that I make very little effort to get them to think and believe exactly what I think and believe.

I think I do this because I know that I know that I don't really fit in very well anywhere and I am not so sure that I want them to become like me in that way.

I get accused of proselytizing fairly often......
    and to a degree I plead guilty but.......
    I am not kidding when I say that I think that the Creator who I believe has evolved in fundamental or nearly fundamental energy has YOU in Their hand and / or hands..... and I am not overly worried about changing you into some sort of intellectual clone of myself.

2. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Dennis Tate Valued Senior Member

I admit that I am not free of being guilty of proselytizing but.......

I really do believe the following:

For the record... I am not certain if this is the best sub-forum for this but it seemed like it might perhaps be.

4. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Dennis Tate Valued Senior Member

I think that a significant percentage of Atheists feel more of a " religious zeal" to alter the belief patterns of others over to being like their own.... but many do not. This has to do with how we view the universe / multiverse that we are moving around in.

If there is any truth that Atheism can behave like a religion.....
    then the logic would be that Atheism puts humanity above any other possible Intelligence that may perhaps have evolved in the fundamental or nearly fundamental energy that Dr. Stephen Hawking seemed to feel existed for something resembling infinite time previous to the latest major BB event of thirteen point eight billion or so years ago.

6. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Seattle Valued Senior Member

Do you think that you are "worthy" of a thread just about "Dennis Tate"? If so, why?

I'm not saying that you aren't. I'm just asking the question. We have a moderator who has started many long threads where he is the only poster, so it's not a new concept here.

Dennis Tate likes this.
  8. Dennis Tate Valued Senior Member

Good question......
    I have a really, really, really, really weird personal story to share.....
    and I actually put some of the strangest parts of it already here on some discussions on Sciforums.

Can you tell me something about this particular forum......
    Do you feel that I picked the appropriate forum to begin this based on how this is going so far?

9. Dennis Tate Valued Senior Member

Oh.... I have a devious streak in me and I was rather hoping that if some Atheists venture over here and read this discussion they might take at least one step toward terming themselves Agnostics........ as opposed to Atheists............... because they may begin to take another look at The Law of Attraction..... The Secret...........?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Secret_(book)

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

10. sideshowbob Sorry, wrong number. Valued Senior Member

I self-identify as agnostic but I fit the broad definition of atheist. I don't have any use for rubbish like the "Law of Attraction" or "Near Death Experiences".

Dennis Tate likes this.
  11. wegs Matter and Pixie Dust Valued Senior Member

That’s a pretty clear example of proselytizing. (to answer your thread title)

Seattle and Dennis Tate like this.
  12. Dennis Tate Valued Senior Member

OK... but if you ever have a friend or family member become suicidal.....
    a Dr. Melvin Morse in his book Transformed By The Light wrote about a study that indicated that they might be useful as a possible therapy for that condition.

13. Dennis Tate Valued Senior Member

Thank you for answering the thread title.......
    my wife is Pentecostal and I take her to any church that she wants to go to so......
    my threshold for toleration of "proselytizing" may be rather high?!

14. sideshowbob Sorry, wrong number. Valued Senior Member

My best friend committed suicide. I've been border-line suicidal myself a couple of times.

Which suggests that it's a psychological situation, nothing voodoo.

Dennis Tate likes this.
  15. wegs Matter and Pixie Dust Valued Senior Member

Yea, proselytizing isn’t relegated to religion but beliefs too, in a general sense...meaning that if your “intent” on the forum is to “convert” people to your views, that’s what is frowned on.

Imagine if we all did that.

Dennis Tate likes this.
  16. Dennis Tate Valued Senior Member

I was pretty close myself back late in 1990... (or was it late in 1991).... so I do empathize and I do think about that angle on all this a fair bit......

17. RainbowSingularity Valued Senior Member

I'm Universalist so to what degree do I really Prostylitize?

NDE is a religion to you ?
    yes or no ?

Dennis Tate likes this.
  18. Dennis Tate Valued Senior Member

I think that the word "spirituality" is much more accurate because the people who have an NDE tend to
    be all over the place.... and do not feel drawn in any one specific direction philosophically.

Four time near death experiencer Dannion Brinkley terms himself an Atheist because he does not
    really recognize what he was shown in any specific religion.

Roman Catholics who have an NDE... seem to be met where they are at philosophically and tend to become
    Roman Catholics who have ideas on hidden and deep meaning in their own religion.

Latter day Saints who have an NDE explain deeper meaning in their own LDS beliefs about the afterlife.

Buddhists who have an NDE tend to connect with people all across the philosophical spectrum.

Atheists have some of the most amazing NDE's if they have a childlike curiosity and humility and will
    bombard the being of light who reviews their lives with them with lots of good questions.

Muslims who have an NDE would be impossible to turn into suicide bombers because they no longer
    interpret their own scriptures in a way that produces hate.

19. cluelusshusbund + Public Dilemma + Valued Senior Member

Wow... anuther thang we have in common::: i also married a Pentecostal girl... an married by a Pentecostal Preecher... but we have only gone to Pentecostal chruches.!!!

Dennis Tate likes this.
  20. Dennis Tate Valued Senior Member

You will not even believe how gifted my wife is.......
    For the life of me I cannot even begin to comprehend how my wife somehow gets the messages that she does.......

.... but basically wherever she wants to go I try my best to assist her to get there.

21. candy Valued Senior Member

The Secret has to be one of the worst books I ever read.
    Following it's so called advice would lead to nothing but heartache.

Dennis Tate likes this.
  22. cluelusshusbund + Public Dilemma + Valued Senior Member

Well sure i woud... after all she choose to be wit you

Yeah we both have ideas that seem crazy to each other at times but compromise always solves any issues.!!!

Dennis Tate likes this.
  23. Dennis Tate Valued Senior Member

About two weeks after I first wrote to her back in August of 2000 I could tell that she was kind of serious.....
    so I wrote her a lengthy e-mail explaining that I was a mess... my nerves were shot... and that she deserved far better.

The following morning I woke up and it was as if the sun was shining on me for the first time in a decade.... and I opened my email to read a message from her that "It is no problem that your nerves are shot I am asking God to cover you with His blood and fill you with His lovely fire." (slightly edited for capitol letters and punctuation).