Imagination is more important than knowledge,

Discussion in 'Eastern Philosophy' started by EmptyForceOfChi, Nov 27, 2005.

1. EmptyForceOfChi Banned Banned

the blind man can still learn his lessons,

peace.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Xerxes asdfghjkl Valued Senior Member

I think you are creating a distinction between two nothings. Neither are important.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. VitalOne Banned Banned

obviously imagination is more important than knowledge

imagnation causes creativity, curiousity, etc...in which without there would be no search for knowledge, no new inventions, no breakthroughs in science, etc...

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Light Registered Senior Member

So thinking up ideas is more important than putting them to work? I don't think so. Granted, some ideas actually lead to knowledge but that's not the question here. It's which of the two has the most value.

Try it and see. Just set around all day long for the rest of your life imagining things and developing nothing. And consider this. Compare imagining how to do something to knowing how to do it. Just how does that stack up in value?

8. EmptyForceOfChi Banned Banned

that would be what ancient taoists did, sit around all day thinking, and they produced some amazing philosophies,

put it this way, without knowledge there is still imagination and ability, without knowledge and fact, there is still imagination,

imagination is what sparks knowledge, nobody said knowledge isnt very important because it is, but dont forget there is only so much you can know, there is endless things you can imagine,

knowledge is limitless but for an individual it is limited, for the limited to desire the limitless is fatal,

rough dao,

peace,

9. Light Registered Senior Member

Lay aside you ancients for just a moment, Chi, and answer this one simple question:

Compare imagining how to do something to knowing how to do it. Just how does that stack up in value?

10. EmptyForceOfChi Banned Banned

what sparked the initial action to try and accomplish the task in the first place?

imagination.

peace,

11. Rick Valued Senior Member

iF my imagination gives me pleasure that i am hoping for...(which it does quite frequently

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

)...well i am all for it...

However,my friend theres a fine line between schizophrenics and us...just remember tht...dont go overboard on fantasizing on those hot babes on beaches and say imaginations more important than knowledge... (gotta get some too ...

)

Seriously though,
    both concepts are B.S since in my opinion knowledge and imagine are only ephemeral.

(THINK ABOUT IT.)
    RICK

12. Light Registered Senior Member

You're dancing all around it, Chi, and still didn't answer the question.

No, I'm in NO way denying that imagination we the original source of the idea that led to the knowledge (that, or just a simple accident - which is also pretty common throughout history).

My point is just this: if you are starving, imagination will not feed you unless you can turn it into the knowledge of how to do it. And while you are busy imagining, you may very well starve to death.

People imagined going to the moon for a very long time. But until they gained the knowledge of how, they were stuck on the ground.

13. EmptyForceOfChi Banned Banned

yes knowledge is important, im saying imagination is basicaly father to knowledge, yes the son is very important but wouldent be there if not for the father,

and sorry if it seemed like i was dancing around the question, i probably started ranting and forgot the initial question,

i suppose without knowledge the imagination would suffer, but also knowledge can harm the imagnation, and also knowledge is kinda subjective because what sme people hold as knowledge others see as "poppycock"

but yes i do see what your saying ofcourse knowledge is great, it is probably the second best thing to imagination and existance,

peace.

14. EmptyForceOfChi Banned Banned

about that last bit though, i will have to go all philosophical for a mo,
    yes people are stuck on the ground physicaly, but mentally we are in the stars/heavens man, we have never been outside of our little solar system, but yet we have "knowledge" about the whole universe at our disposal, our imagination sparked everything we hold in science/philosophy today,

we havent actually walked on mars yet but were not stuck down on earth, aslong as people think outside the box, and people philosophise/theorise about mysteries, we will always progress,

knowledge is jesus, but imagination is god.

peace.

15. Ophiolite Valued Senior Member

I didn't know that, but I imagine that it's true.

16. EmptyForceOfChi Banned Banned

very witty..

i was just thinking about it after i read a quote from einstein saying the exact same thing, and imagined it to be true, now i have been enlightened with more knowledge wich was given birth through imagination,

peace,

17. VitalOne Banned Banned

Yes, they are why? Because without the idea you have nothing to work with. It's the basis of the work. Look around the room, almost everything had an idea behind it. Thinking of the idea is harder than the work itself. But the work is still neccessary to make your idea come to life, so I'd say it's like 70:30 in importance.

Where the hell do you get the idea that I said to sit around all day just imagining? I said imagination is more important than knowledge, not that you should sit around all day.

You're the type of person who would keep mankind in the stoneage.

18. nameless Registered Senior Member

May I contribute a couple of what I think are relevent quotes?

"We calculate, but that we may calculate, we make fiction first." - Nietzsche

"Scholarship is less than sense;
    therefore seek intelligence;
    Senseless scholars, in their pride,
    Made a lion, then they died." - Panchatantra

One would have to 'translate' the second quote a bit to fit the discussion, but Nietzsche's quote is right on the money!

Knowledge is 'hollow'...
    It is within 'imagination' that we 'image'-inate' our universe and 'tend' to it.
    Sometimes I imagine that I am going forth and 'doing' something; sometimes I imagine money falling from the sky. Either way, the bread get paid for.

Who is blind, the man with no eyes who has no concept of 'blindness', or the sighted that 'believes' the 'coded program' that manifests within 'imag-ination' is some kind of 'external objective reality'?
    Blindness bites much deeper than a lion, than frostbite.

Last edited: Dec 10, 2005
  19. firdroirich A friend of The Friends Registered Senior Member

Quotations from my fav. poet at, Rumi, are similiar to what you were saying Chi

"A man travelling through the darkness, is yet travelling"

"Enlightenment must come little by little - otherwise it would overwhelm"

20. Qorl Guest

Only lesson of being blind.

21. Bowser Namaste Valued Senior Member

Knowing comes from experience; imagination is the definition of that experience. Another interesting fact is that science depends more and more on the imagination of the mind to explain the percieved physical universe.

22. Ophiolite Valued Senior Member

The question is equivalent to asking "which is more important, red or green?" I am surprised so many of you have been seduced into attempting an answer. I am amused that in those answers you use imagination to mimic knowledge.

23. Arcane Guest

"I, like everyone else, am just a Theory.
    But those who realize this become a Law, of Existence."
    ~Camilus