Impacted Wisdom Tooth Infection

Discussion in 'Health & Fitness' started by phonetic, Apr 3, 2007.

1. phonetic stroking my banjo Registered Senior Member

Well, it isn't too sore yet, but I've got a feeling it's going to be relatively soon.

It looks like I've got a wisdom tooth growing in, from the top right, but what was the last molar is in the way. I guess I've felt something there for a while, but assumed it was coming out slowly. Today it's been kind of sore though and I've noticed that the established molar has gone a little grey/black and I can move it.

It's a pretty useless tooth anyway, since it doesn't meet the one on my lower jaw. I don't really mind if I lose it.

Anyway, my questions to anyone in the know or anyone who's had wisdom tooth problems are -

Is it going to get progressively more painful?
    If it's infected, I take it I'm not going to collapse and die?

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

:shrug:
    I have an appointment at the dentist in 2 weeks - Is this soon enough to get it sorted?

I'll be damned lucky if I can get an appointment sooner anyway, considering it's NHS. I did book this appointment about 4 or 5 months ago.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Prince_James Plutarch (Mickey's Dog) Registered Senior Member

If it gets infected, you'd want it removed fast. It could progress badly.

Wisdom teeth are not always removed nor do they become painful always - so you may not miss it.

Two weeks is fine. In fact, you probably can wait two months.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Just_Not_There Do I Look Like I Care?! Registered Senior Member

well first off I have no idea about wisdom teeth...or for that matter, teeth in general. My wisdom teeth haven't come through yet, but I can't imagine waiting two weeks to see your dentist is going to have any detrimental effects apart from maybe feeling some pain.

Anyway I had a dream last night that one of my front teeth became loose and I pulled it out....and it hurt like hell...so I thought i'd let you know I know what you are going through

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. phonetic stroking my banjo Registered Senior Member

I think it's already infected, PJ. The gum is quite raw round about it, the tooth is dark/grey/black-ish and it moves.

Ah well. Good. Not going to die any time soon then

Thanks

Is this a good excuse to drink vodka? Alcohol - antibacterial and all? Numbs the pain..

8. cato less hate, more science Registered Senior Member

I think its good to rinse with salt water. it may help keep the infection from spreading.

9. §outh§tar is feeling caustic Registered Senior Member

Spartans have endured more with less kvetching.

10. Prince_James Plutarch (Mickey's Dog) Registered Senior Member

Phonetic:

Washing out your mouth routinely is definitely a good idea, as well as getting that tooth removed as soon as you can. An infection is painful and can only get more painful, not to mention it's presence raises other things in the body.

If you can manage the two weeks, you probably won't have any long-term adverse situations. But if it gets really painful, or you start to get a fever, you need to get to the doctor.

And yes, Cato's suggestion on saltwater is good.

11. Xerxes asdfghjkl Valued Senior Member

My bottom wisdoms have been coming in for what seems like years.

At first they were both impacted, but the left one straightened up and is causing no more problems. The right one however has been flaring up recently, but appears to be straightening up also. At one time, the pain was so great, the area so sore, that I *almost* went to the dentist..

The best thing to do, IMO, is not to get them taken out, but to get lots of extra nutrition, especially the fat soluble vitamins, to chew on hard foods (strengthen the gums), and to rinse it out regularly with a mouthwash. Getting them out seems like something that should be done in rare cases, for people with poor jaw development.

It's almost guaranteed that the dentist will recommend taking them out, whether or not it needs to be done. I say think it through, don't do it because it's the popular suggestion.

12. orcot Valued Senior Member

it takes you more then 5 months to get a apoitment :bugeye:
    I sugest that you look him up without a apoitment or not if it realy is your wisdom tooth then he can't help much because those things are for hospitals.
    Note that I got no ID what the NHS is and it's always nice to thread them with a bid of tackt. But most dentists due keep a couple of free hours so visitors could see them.

13. domesticated om Stickler for details Valued Senior Member

You aren't going to die.
    .....however, I can honestly say that the most painful experience I've ever had in my entire life was from having a wisdom tooth with an infected abscess. If I could gauge pain from 1 to 10, I would rate it 12, and would not be exaggerating.
    Not only was the pain intense, but it was constant throbbing pain. I could hardly eat, couldn't sleep at night because of it, and was unable to function at work.
    Prior to visiting the oral surgeon, my dentist prescribed penicillin and that eliminated the pain. He also prescribed painkillers (hydrocodone if I remember correctly) but it only seemed to make me sleepy and didn't really deaden it.

I would highly recommend getting it taken care of ASAP. Two weeks should be fine.

14. Fraggle Rocker Staff Member

In some humans, the jaw isn't quite big enough to hold all 32 teeth. So when the third molar starts coming in it can cause a lot of trouble. You could lose that second molar so for the goddess's sake get yourself to a dentist TOMORROW!
    The empty space resulting from the extraction will offset the way all of your other teeth fit together and you'll end up with a bunch of them that don't meet right. It will feel awkward and can even generate headaches and exacerbate arthritis in your TMJ (temple-mandible joint). Don't let this happen.
    Yes, and probably not slowly either.
    Wrong. There was a very high-profile story in the Washington region about a kid who died from a tooth infection. People die from infections all the time in parts of the world where antibiotics are not available. Jim Henson died from an infection because he put off going to the doctor for only two days. Infections spread, they don't just stay in one place. Get yourself to the dentist TOMORROW.
    Probably, but you're gambling. I guarantee that in two weeks you'll be in a great deal of pain.
    That's why so many people come to the U.S. for medical care. If you're a sensible, educated, productive member of society with a decent income, you can afford to pay your way instead of waiting for the well-meaning but dangerously inefficient government system to get around to treating you. Socialized medicine is for losers. Most of the money goes to lawyers and bureacrats rather than medical professionals, so everybody loses except the scavenger-class. Even our insurance system, bad as it is, works better than nationalized care.

15. domesticated om Stickler for details Valued Senior Member

Wow. I guess I couldn't have been more wrong about the 'not dying' part.
    -Edit-
    After a bit of research, I'm finding information on the condition "necrotizing fasciitis"
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Necrotizing_fasciitis

Last edited: Apr 3, 2007
  16. Zardozi Isvara.... . 1S Evil_Lau Registered Senior Member

One of my two front teeth has a cuspid behind it like a triceritops

17. phonetic stroking my banjo Registered Senior Member

Joyous

I don't fit any of those criteria, but you're right. I plan to get dental insurance which pays for private care in the not too distant.
    Red tape certainly gets in the way of things running smoothly. The amount of people who sue the NHS these days really doesn't help. That's blame culture for you, I guess, but everyone has to cover their asses to the nth degree.

18. Xerxes asdfghjkl Valued Senior Member

Fraggle, you're out of line on this one, trust me. His immune system will kick in, the pain will subside, and his wisdom teeth will eventually straighten up.

If anything, taking them out will be a source of pain and infections.

19. invert_nexus Ze do caixao Valued Senior Member

Lifespan used to be measured in teeth.
    A badly abscessed tooth can and does kill.
    Then again, it is relatively easy to keep the infection down.

20. domesticated om Stickler for details Valued Senior Member

After browsing the internet a bit more (for what it's worth), here is more information:

Of course, whiskey/pelicans haven't been around for "much of human history", so I would probably consider rephrasing that paragraph if I were the author.

Here is some other interesting reading from Webmd (seems to give a lot of specific details on the process of cocci infection)
    http://www.emedicine.com/ped/topic2675.htm

I wish I could find information on worst case scenarios giving specifics on the lengths of time for untreated infections, or rapidly progressive infections (like those in people with weakened immune systems, or other exceptions).

21. Oxygen One Hissy Kitty Registered Senior Member

If it's infected, take it out, especially if it looks like what was described.
    Yes, the infection can kill you depending on various circumstances. I assume you've explained what the situation looks like to your dentist? You didn't just call and say "I have a toothache"?

I had 5 infected roots removed. The oral surgeon was surprised it didn't go to my wisdom teeth. His concern was that the roots of the upper wisdom teeth ran too close to the floor of the sinus cavity. He didn't want to risk breaking that floor. If they had been infected, he said, they would have had to have come out because of risk of death and other conditions that can be brought about by infections that might just make me wish I was dead. This corresponded to what the dentists I talked to said. When 10 out of 10 dentists agree on something, it's best to take their advice.

I do wish you could get in sooner, but one of my teeth was in pretty horrendous shape, too (same color, but not loose). I rinsed with Listerine to fight infections on the surface as much as I could, and it seemed to have helped. I had to wait about a month for my appointment, but was told that I'd be all right until then. (Fortunately, I have insurance.)

I'm not claiming any authority in the dental field. I work in a dental lab, where we make dentures. But dentists are more than happy to talk about their work to anyone who asks, and you'd probably be surprised at how easily they'll let the denture delivery person sit in for a few minutes and watch elaborate procedures (as long as I wear a mask and don't touch anything). Naturally, when faced with the prospect of oral surgery, I asked tons of questions and got tons of information.

If it's just the tooth and immediate jaw area that's hurting, you're probably still all right. They'll most likely put you on a heap of antibiotics afterwards. Just follow the dosage instructions and keep the area clean.

Good luck.

22. Oxygen One Hissy Kitty Registered Senior Member

Update: I spoke with one of my customers, a dentist in Oakdale about the situation regarding your tooth. She says to try to claw your way into an earlier appointment if you can. (If not, well...) She says it sounds like the infection will probably cost you the tooth adjacent to the infected one as well. While you're probably a long way from a fatal infection, she hopes getting the earliest possible treatment may catcha something in time and not cost you any more teeth than necessary.

Again, good luck.

23. phonetic stroking my banjo Registered Senior Member

Thanks Oxygen

And everyone else for your help.

It doesn't seem to have changed, but I'll keep an eye on the tooth. If it gets any worse or if it becomes more painful I'll try to get an emergency appointment or just go to the hospital. I'm using listerine and trying to keep my mouth fairly clean. I've been off the ciggies for a little over a week now, so that should help things. It always seems to be just after giving up smoking that things start to go wrong. You've got to wonder sometimes

Anyway, it's for the best. The nice weather's here too, so it's perfect timing. Cheers everyone. I'll let you know how I get on.