UFOs (UAPs): Explanations?

Discussion in 'UFOs, Ghosts and Monsters' started by Magical Realist, Oct 10, 2017.

1. wegs Matter and Pixie Dust Valued Senior Member

Okay, maybe. But does he/she reproduce? Why are there not that many sightings?

Occam’s Razor applied here, leads me down a different path.

Alien life and ghosts? Different story. I find there is more evidence and fun mystery behind that.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Magical Realist Valued Senior Member

Baby bigfoot have been spotted before. Also females with breasts. The Patterson-Gimlin footage shows a female bigfoot with breasts. As for why there aren't more sightings, it's believed he is a largely nocturnal species living in remote uninhabited areas of forest land. Plus he's highly intelligent with accute senses. He will probably spot a human long before he's spotted by that human.

Last edited: Jun 13, 2019
  4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. wegs Matter and Pixie Dust Valued Senior Member

I'm worried. You're getting me to believe this. lol

Magical Realist likes this.
  6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. sculptor Valued Senior Member

You gain nothing by being a non-believer.

wegs likes this.
  8. Magical Realist Valued Senior Member

Research conducted by anthropologist Dr. Jeffery Meldrum from Idaho State University regarding Bigfoot..

9. Gawdzilla Sama Valued Senior Member

And each one has a god holding it opn.

sideshowbob likes this.
  10. dumbest man on earth Real Eyes Realize Real Lies Valued Senior Member

Read ALL OF Q-reeus' Post #2306 - where he clearly states "I have no such conflicting viewpoint - UFO's as other than secret military craft or 'interstellar space aliens' makes best sense, AND nasty government level conspiracies and cover ups/disinfo are normal practice. "

Read ALL OF the response to Q-reeus in Post #2321 - where the Poster states" Ooooh, ahhhh! nasty government cover ups! Take that with your other paranoid accusations/excuses such as me having some sweet deal with the mods here...me having a similar sweet deal with the mods at SFN where you are banned....mainstream science being incalcitrant and unable to accept one of your favourite speculative gravity hypotheticals among more then a dozen or thereabouts....your claim 9/11 was a conspiracy, and it becomes very obvious that your reputation is in tatters and worthy of the cesspool."
    DaveC426913, you don't see the above as an attack Against the Person ?

In response to what you Posted "So you just brought your grudge from elsewhere, here."
    Yes, DaveC426913, that is at the very least a Logical Fallacy - a Red Herring to be precise.
    Or, depending on how you were intending its use - you may have just wanted to erect a Strawman...?

Really doesn't matter though,DaveC426913, simply because there is no "grudge from elsewhere" to bring "here". PERIOD!

Q-reeus likes this.
  11. paddoboy Valued Senior Member

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

Actually here and elsewhere!

And of course q-reeus's fence straddling position is clear and made clearer by "liking" the posts by MR and of course his many conspiracy claims, also both here and elsewhere.

12. wegs Matter and Pixie Dust Valued Senior Member

Forgive me, but I'm not quite sure as to who believes what in this thread. Cliff notes?

13. Q-reeus Banned Valued Senior Member

What you should never believe is what paddoboy claims I believe! Just because I often tire of challenging his serial misrepresentations/distortions/outright lies, doesn't mean he is ever right on this or that claim against me. Why argue with a guard dog? Similar story re his attacks on e.g. MR and dmoe.

14. dumbest man on earth Real Eyes Realize Real Lies Valued Senior Member

Hey, Wegs!!! Been a while.

So...Cliff Notes...
    Some Posters are (currently) are engaged in a discussion concerning the Government's/Military's position on UFO's and (currently)one particular incident.
    Some seem to be arguing that this one incident has some fairly interesting evidence/aspects that should (and evidently DID!) warrant further investigation.
    Some others do not consider the evidence to have any credence whatsoever.

Then, Wegs, it seems that a few Posters do not prefer to engage in honest discussions. Those Posters seem to prefer to Attack the Poster - instead of maintaining any decency, etiquette or propriety - what one might refer to as decorum.
    Evidently, these few Posters can not or simply will not maintain said decorum.
    They resort to arguing when the discussion does not go the way they prefer.
    Then they just Flat Out Attack other Posters because they get nowhere with their empty baseless arguments.

Me, I always watch what transpires.
    At times I must call FOWL!

Wegs, I am sure that have been witness to Posters on this Site making various allegations and accusations against other Posters that they have chosen to Target. Allegations/accusations of someone being "Anti-Science" or a "God-Botherer" or "Closeted" or a "YEC" or an "ID'er" o a "Conspiracy Theorist"...and on and on....
    The newest Tactic seems to be claiming that people have followed a Poster to this Site from another Site - "elsewhere.com" or some such - just so that they could get attacked by that Poster on this Site, too. These Posters seem to believe that this NEW TACTIC affords them more and better Ammunition to use in their Attacks.
    But then, hard to tell what drives some people...

At any rate, Wegs, that is my take - but someone will most likely be along shortly to firmly correct me.

Good 'seeing you' again.
    Like I said before...its been a while.

BTW: as far as my take on the whole shebang...over the years I have come to the realization that Nothing Can Possibly Be True Until The Government Completely Denies It! - Attempt at Humor!!

Q-reeus likes this.
  15. paddoboy Valued Senior Member

Nup, I don't lie or misrepresent at all...I leave that to the conspiracy theorists like yourself...quite precious of you as usual to claim victim status as the other two also have at various times over their careers.
    ps: Your "attack dog" claims against my person are getting a bit stale fella, and I suggest you check out your own caustic comments which was always your stock-in-trade.

Now again, please confirm that you agree that at best this is just another UFO with emphasis on U....yes or no will suffice, no excuses, no added fairy stories, no conspiracy nonsense, just confirm for the forum, yes or no.

16. paddoboy Valued Senior Member

UFO: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unidentified_flying_object

"Unidentified flying object (UFO) is the popular term for any aerial phenomenon that cannot immediately be identified. Most UFOs are identified on investigation as conventional objects or phenomena. The term is widely used for claimed observations of extraterrestrial spacecraft"

"UFOs are sometimes an element of conspiracy theories in which governments are allegedly intentionally "covering up" the existence of aliens by removing physical evidence of their presence, or even collaborating with extraterrestrial beings. There are many versions of this story; some are exclusive, while others overlap with various other conspiracy theories."

17. paddoboy Valued Senior Member

Quite a few good points there dmoe....and quite factual to boot. This science forum and most others are always open to "attack" by nutters of various descriptions and degrees....the god botherers, YEC's and IDers are always generally at the forefront of these attacks, conducting crusades for their god/s. Just check out the cesspool and pseudoscience and religious sections for examples.
    And just as factual are the alternative theorists brigade and general nutty conspiracists that push all kinds of crap, including attempts to invalidate SR/GR [we have another now over SFN that posted here at length and was known as chinglu]doing his best to do what he tried here...invalidate SR!!
    And of course as you well know, it is also a fact that the real nuttier ones that are a grade or two above the normal nuttier ones, have followed others over to other forums and continued on their vendettas...one now is banned, one handcuffed! "nudge, nudge, wink, wink". That can also be checked out by other members and their verdicts given.

Now getting back on track dmoe, and avoiding your usual babble, and as I asked q-reeus, do you accept that at best, all we have are more examples of UFO's as defined in my previous post?

18. Q-reeus Banned Valued Senior Member

Projection to the max. Anyone reading through a fair assortment of your posts recognizes them as practically defining repetitious and stale. On top of libelous.
    He he he. 'The UFO'? Just another...? Maybe you need to reference with some attention to detail. And do attempt to DEFINE what 'garden variety' is supposed to mean wrt UFO's. As opposed to some presumably 'non-garden-variety' example(s).

19. paddoboy Valued Senior Member

OK, slowly we are getting there: I'll ask the question again this way.
    Do you accept that at best all we have is a UFO as generally defined?
    that is unidentified.

ps: And please rethink the nonsense you sometimes post [that's what got you banned elsewhere] Libelous??

20. paddoboy Valued Senior Member

https://www.geek.com/science/new-study-links-conspiracy-theorists-with-a-mental-disorder-1720483/
    New Study Links Conspiracy Theorists With A Mental Disorder

"It’s a golden era for conspiracy theories. The Internet has made it possible to get “facts” about nearly everything, from the moon landing being fake to the Earth being flat. But some recent research indicates that hard-core conspiracy theorists might be genetically predisposed to believe thanks to an unusual and little-understood mental disorder.

A recent survey from the University of Chicago indicated that 50% of Americans believe in at least one conspiracy theory – whether it be the U.S. government’s involvement in 9/11 or the existence of aliens. That’s a pretty sizable chunk of the population. But what is it that makes these factually disproved stories so easy to buy into?

A study by a trio of scientists from Vrije Universiteit Amsterdam and the NCSR in The Netherlands and The University of Kent in the UK have discovered a link between conspiracy belief and “illusory pattern perception,” the tendency of the mind to see order where none exists. The group used a series of randomly simulated coin tosses and asked respondents to rate whether those tosses were actually random or in a sequence. The respondents who saw patterns in the coin tosses were also the ones who scored highest on belief in existing conspiracy theories and belief in the supernatural.

Because science isn’t done with just one experiment, they then followed up with a second run to investigate whether being prompted to look for patterns skews the results, as well as a third using abstract art instead of coin flips for the subjects to find patterns in. In addition, they “primed the pump” with one group by having them read a little conspiracy literature beforehand, which also increased credulity.

Here’s the thesis on what’s going on. The human brain is a pattern-making machine. We learn from experience and store memories together to influence our future behavior. That gift for connection and correlation has enabled our ballistic advance as a society. But for most of human history our brains existed in a comparatively information-poor environment. It’s only in the last century or so that the rise of mass media has come to dominate our lives. Four generations simply aren’t enough time for the complex biology of our brains to adapt to that.

We’re subconsciously desperately trying to find connections in the chaos, and many minds aren’t capable of realizing which of those connections are valuable and which aren’t. And it’s also hard for people to comprehend “true” randomness, because random sequences can create patterns and connections purely by accident. We don’t like to admit that existence is a vast and careless web of chance. Building a narrative allows us to comfortably process random events in a way that we feel control over.

The increased availability of conspiracy literature and videos has also made them more potent. As evidenced by the study, being exposed to materials that lend credence to “alternative facts” raised susceptibility in the subjects. Now that conspiracy theories are on everybody’s Facebook wall as opposed to lamp posts and crank phone calls to Art Bell, exposure is a given. What used to be fringe beliefs are now widespread, and the more they spread the more power they have.

Interestingly enough, a 2008 study might shed some additional light on the subject. It also tackled illusory pattern perception, but from the angle of the agency. In it, they found that if people had little or no control over their current situation, they were more likely to see patterns in random images like TV static, as well as more likely to believe in the supernatural. And who out there doesn’t feel like they’re losing control of their lives? We’re subconsciously reaching out for some method of ordering this chaos, even if the connections are bogus.

What’s the solution for this plague of lies? Peddlers of conspiracy theories aren’t going anywhere, especially now that they’re making money off of it. What our world really needs is more focus on critical thinking and media literacy. Rewiring the biology of our brains is a tough order, but training ourselves to ignore specious connections and focus on what can be factually proven is a good start. Check out the Foundation for Critical Thinking website for a good place to start".

21. wegs Matter and Pixie Dust Valued Senior Member

So, what exactly is a “garden variety” UFO? If an alien spacecraft landed in my backyard, it would be quite unnerving!

22. dumbest man on earth Real Eyes Realize Real Lies Valued Senior Member

Some strange going ons lately...
    Seems to be a Poster that comes to this Thread going on and on and on about : "possible misdemeanor and/or fraud" ; "paranoid accusations/excuses" ; "nonsensical conspiracy orientated claims" ; "equating Unidentified with of alien origin" ; " fanatical paranoia with regards to anything supernatural or paranormal" ; "construed/manufactured effort/s by some to add to the usual nonsensical claims by UFO enthusiasts to gain some air of respectibility" ; "other weird beliefs and assertions of certain characters" ; "closeted remark" ; "dabbling into the supernatural and/or paranormal" ; "the gullible like to blow out of all proportion and illogically extrapolate to....wait for it! Alien craft!!!! " ; "not being able to see the forest for the trees." ; "agendas" ; "other supernatural/paranormal or conspiracy nonsense" ; "banned or are handcuffed at other science forums" ; "drawing ire, condemnation, and accusations of me being in cahoots with James from a certain party" ; 'James pandering to the pseudscience and crank brigade" ; "renowned attempts at bullying here and elsewhere point to more realistic medical conditions then you could ever gauge from my ow reasonable mainstream position" ; "b*llshi*t attempt at trying to shift from your fence straddling, attempted closeted position" ; "Nup, I don't lie or misrepresent at all..." ; and " please rethink the nonsense you sometimes post".

...then that same Poster Posts Post #2417 : https://www.geek.com/science/new-study-links-conspiracy-theorists-with-a-mental-disorder-1720483/
    "New Study Links Conspiracy Theorists With A Mental Disorder"

Like I said, Some strange going ons lately...

Magical Realist likes this.
  23. Magical Realist Valued Senior Member