UFOs (UAPs): Explanations?

Discussion in 'UFOs, Ghosts and Monsters' started by Magical Realist, Oct 10, 2017.

1. DaveC426913 Valued Senior Member

You keep complaining no one will listen to you. Well, put your money where your mouth is. Step up and make your claim in a place and way that can be analyzed.

I am inviting you to start a dedicated thread, so as to extract your ideas from that of this thread.

I will join you and discuss with you, provided you argue in good faith and address the issues, not the issuers.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Q-reeus Banned Valued Senior Member

I grow tired of responding point by tiresome point to worthless commentary based on willful ignorance. That is not giving up.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. DaveC426913 Valued Senior Member

Classic.

When asked to put their money where their mouth is, trolls always pull the "I'm taking my theories and going home".

Bye-ee.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Q-reeus Banned Valued Senior Member

Don't keep baiting me you hypocrite. My last post quoted your original wording in #4401, which you have subsequently drastically altered. A characteristic of yours.
    None of your ilk here have studied the material I have offered in #4323 & #4350. Nothing but sheer arrogant prejudice and/or laziness has stopped any of you from doing so right here this thread. So starting another one will simply be greeted with the same. An exercise in futility. And btw it's you acting as troll, not me.

8. DaveC426913 Valued Senior Member

Whatever happened to
    Riiiight. That doesn't apply to you. I see the word 'hypocrite' is close-to-mind for you.

You don't want to take any perceived bait, that's on you.

Yes. I edit after review.

You interpret that as some sort of nefarious behaviour - some trick on you.

Just like you seem to take everything else anybody says or doesn't say as some sort of conspiracy against you.
    You seem to see conspiracy in everything.

This makes it very difficult to have a good faith discussion with you.

I've tried.

Start that thread on paranormal UFOs. If you dare...

9. Q-reeus Banned Valued Senior Member

For you to twist things out of shape to that exent merely reinforces the futility of engaging with you. Someone who just enjoys baiting for the sadistic pleasure of it. Get lost.

10. paddoboy Valued Senior Member

There's only one person claiming any certainty, my friend.
    I'll retract nothing. You have claimed on more then one occasion to accept ID...that in my book denotes some sort of afterlife. Plus of course your silence in other matters, coupled with that ID belief, exposes you.

11. Q-reeus Banned Valued Senior Member

Well 'in your book' is plain wrong. Belief in ID need have no connection to any belief or not in an afterlife. You need to read more widely. For the record, I'm completely agnostic as to there being any afterlife. Enough digression already?

12. Michael 345 New year. PRESENT is 72 years oldl Valued Senior Member

Recently came across for me a new kink about ID

Going with the MAN WAS CREATED PERFECT IN EVERY WAY BY ID

The kink? What about all the other stuff floating around?

Did god have a apprentice in training?

I'm going to be busy making man. Go over your homework and see what you can make while I'm away

So IDer makes man and the NOT IDer makes everything else which has not been IDed

Does that system work?

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

paddoboy likes this.
  13. paddoboy Valued Senior Member

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intelligent_design
    Intelligent design (ID) is a pseudoscientific argument for the existence of God, presented by its proponents as "an evidence-based scientific theory about life's origins".[1][2][3][4][5] Proponents claim that "certain features of the universe and of living things are best explained by an intelligent cause, not an undirected process such as natural selection."[6] ID is a form of creationism that lacks empirical support and offers no testable or tenable hypotheses, and is therefore not science.[7][8][9] The leading proponents of ID are associated with the Discovery Institute, a Christian, politically conservative think tank based in the United States.
    extract:
    This led to the 2005 Kitzmiller v. Dover Area School District trial, which found that intelligent design was not science, that it "cannot uncouple itself from its creationist, and thus religious, antecedents," and that the public school district's promotion of it therefore violated the Establishment Clause of the First Amendment to the United States Constitution.

https://www.livescience.com/13534-death-anxiety-intelligent-design-evolution.html
    "When faced with the thought of death, people are more likely to believe in intelligent design, the idea that life on Earth and other features of the universe can be explained by an "intelligent being" guiding the process, a new study finds."

Last edited: Nov 18, 2020
  14. Q-reeus Banned Valued Senior Member

Wikipedia is on that topic beholden to evolutionist zealots who have managed to monopolize content and present the concept of ID in a particularly narrow and negative way.
    Such a 'study' reeks of the same militant bias as displayed by that Wikipedia article. Why not more naturally directly link belief in God to when facing death? It's the obvious connection. Not for those with a particular agenda to prosecute. It suggests concern that ID advocates are making inroads that are difficult to counter by straightforward means.
    Now - I have been obliged to defend here against your #4410, but it's getting way off topic. How about getting back on topic.

15. paddoboy Valued Senior Member

Sure! What excuses and/or conspiracy story are you offering on that score?

16. river

And what excuses and/or conspiracy story are you offering on that score ? pad

17. paddoboy Valued Senior Member

You're funny river...funny peculiar, not funny ha ha...

I'm claiming nothing other then some sightings remain unidentified. The onus is on the gullible brigade to come up with the extraordinary evidence to support their cause/conspiracy/claim.

18. river

Not Identified , inotherwords .

19. James R Just this guy, you know? Staff Member

Q-reeus:

Lacking a substantive case to put, you resort to pigeon-holing and ad hominem. Your kind, indeed.

You're on a roll, eh? Having a go at skeptics, so might as well throw in atheists, too. Are you religious, Q-reeus?

Before I dedicate 50 minutes of my valuable time to yet another video that is likely to turn out to be a big disappointment (judging by your previous efforts), could you please summarise for me the most compelling aspects of the evidence for this "poltergeist activity" you allege? Dot points will be fine. I hope it's not all anecdotal, as is often the case with such claims.

Last edited: Dec 3, 2020
  20. James R Just this guy, you know? Staff Member

Wow, before we even properly begin it starts unravelling and you start making excuses. Remind me. This is your absolute best case, is it?

21. James R Just this guy, you know? Staff Member

Q-reeus: DaveC makes a good point here. If you want your aliens to be supernatural, maybe best to start a thread called "In defence of supernatural aliens", where we can discuss that hypothesis separately. You're setting yourself an even harder hill to climb with that claim, compared the one where the aliens could just be regular, physics-bound little green men from Betelgeuse.

22. James R Just this guy, you know? Staff Member

wegs:

I know this wasn't addressed to me, but I'd like to respond.

Regarding fantasies, I think that humans love to fantasise, sometimes about the possible and sometimes about the impossible. It's natural to fantasise about the possible existence of beings who are more powerful and/or more intelligent than us humans. We humans have been doing that forever. Gods, angels, demons, dragons, spirits, witches, psychics, superintelligent AI, vampires, fairies, etc. etc.

In our modern scientific world, the idea of space aliens is attractive to some because they could actually exist somewhere, and just maybe they are visiting us. On the other hand, some alien believers (Q-reeus, for instance) don't really care whether aliens obey the laws of physics or whatever. For those people, aliens fulfill the same kinds of psychological needs that witches and demons filled for people in past centuries.

How to approach these things, then? The wrong question to ask first up is "Do you believe/disbelieve all alleged sightings?" Anyone who has an answer to that question for every single sighting ever has already closed their mind, one way or the other.

A skeptic instead asks, for each alleged sighting: what is the evidence for and against the hypothesis that this sighting was a sighting of space aliens? He or she then weighs up the available evidence and draws a tentative conclusion one way or the other that is proportionate to the strength of the evidence, in light of everything else we know about our world from science and other sources.

In other words, it's not about prejudging the matter and holding a firm opinion about UFOs or aliens in general. It's not about belief. Or at least, it shouldn't be about that. Belief should be in proportion to the strength of the evidence. That's the approach of the scientist, the skeptic, the critical thinker.

People who are not well-trained in critical thinking tend to do things the other way round. "Gee, wouldn't it be great/shocking/terrifying if aliens were real and visiting/abducting us humans? It's such an appealing/scary idea, I just have to believe it. From now on, I'm only going to look at things that tend to confirm my nearly-formed belief, and ignore everything that tends to refute it!" Not that they actually say that kind of thing, but that's essentially how it works. It's no different whether you're talking about aliens or ghosts or Trump winning the election. For some people, wishing hard enough makes it seem real enough to satisfy their needs.

wegs likes this.
  23. Michael 345 New year. PRESENT is 72 years oldl Valued Senior Member

These aliens need to get their act together and probe a few scientists and fewer banjo plucking hillbillies