UFOs (UAPs): Explanations?

Discussion in 'UFOs, Ghosts and Monsters' started by Magical Realist, Oct 10, 2017.

1. Xelasnave.1947 Valued Senior Member

The true meaning of life.
    Alex

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Vociferous Valued Senior Member

Verifiable identification. That's the only compelling evidence of extraterrestrial origin. Observations and speculation is not.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Q-reeus Banned Valued Senior Member

This is going to be a chain sort of thing evidently. So define 'verifiable identification' - and what assumptions are implied.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Magical Realist Valued Senior Member

I thought observation was like the first step of the much lauded Scientific Method..

8. Xelasnave.1947 Valued Senior Member

No.

First you form a belief.

Then you become aware that you are right.

Then if there is a buck in it you cherry pick the net for anything that seems like tacit support of your idea.

Then you observe existing events and make a prediction that those events will take place according to your idea.

Write the book and start looking for a better car and maybe a bigger house based on the expected new income.

My idea is the aliens crashed a craft here when there were no humans...but they were indeed humans...they could not get away so they started to make a life here...their names were Adam and Eve.
    Thejy could comunicate with back home and the only guy they had contact with was what we would call a ham radio opperator his name was god.

Adam had a pet monkey and so did eve.
    They were board and well as to the rest buy my book.
    Alex

Magical Realist likes this.
  9. Magical Realist Valued Senior Member

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

10. Q-reeus Banned Valued Senior Member

Sorry Alex but NO. It would be a shit of a read.

11. Vociferous Valued Senior Member

What do you accept for verifiable identification of anything? Your mom, a Chevy, an Italian, edible food, etc..
    Witnesses can be trusted because you have personally verified such identities yourself, and they are not extraordinary observations. And if not, they can be easily verified to your satisfaction.

12. Michael 345 New year. PRESENT is 72 years oldl Valued Senior Member

It can be

BUT BUT BUT

the observation then becomes a investigation

which "alien spacecraft" fail spectacularly as per Verifiable identification

Your yellow research does not really encompass look at internet post and picking up "this looks the same as what I am researching" stuff

13. Vociferous Valued Senior Member

Parser failed.

14. Q-reeus Banned Valued Senior Member

Mundane things are not the current topic.
    Again - mundane things are not the current topic.
    Whatever that may mean.

15. Magical Realist Valued Senior Member

So you only acknowledge the existence of things and events that you have personally and directly verified? How did you get thru school? How do you make it thru the evening news? How do you believe anything that anybody tells you about their past life?

16. Vociferous Valued Senior Member

Oh, so you're claiming a special pleading for things decidedly outside of verifiability.
    Isn't that admitting the inequality of evidence between the two?
    And the more extraordinary claim requires less evidence?
    "And if not, they can be easily verified to your satisfaction."

17. Magical Realist Valued Senior Member

Define "easily verified to your satisfaction." How do you do that with something like someone's past life?

18. Q-reeus Banned Valued Senior Member

No. Read the content and context of #1103 again. You have not answered it.
    Well they belong to different categories by their quite different natures. So obviously what passes as criteria for acceptable evidence will likewise be somewhat different.
    Who has been arguing that? Look, in case you never did read the content of earlier links I supplied, here again is my overall opinion of what we are dealing with:
    http://www.sciforums.com/threads/early-report-ufo-australia.158519/#post-3425764
    See also #19 there.

Last edited: Feb 26, 2018
  19. Xelasnave.1947 Valued Senior Member

You know the really sad thing about the world is that such a book of nonsense would outsell all the books on physics put together and perhaps create a following of folk who absolutely believe the account was a true historical account.
    Anyways I will step back and enjoy the mud wrestling.

Alex

20. Vociferous Valued Senior Member

Like "past lives" or just someone's past? Is their past extraordinary?
    If you don't understand what "verifiable" means, I'm afraid we're at an impasse.
    Yes, one is extraordinary and the other is not. Which do you think requires more evidence to be compelling?
    No, I get it. You think speculation is sufficiently compelling for you to attribute identity to the extraordinary.
    Or do you really think there is extraordinary evidence? Not extraordinary observations, mind you, but evidence.

21. Xelasnave.1947 Valued Senior Member

Yeh like I said.☺
    Alex

22. Michael 345 New year. PRESENT is 72 years oldl Valued Senior Member

Doubtful. You could not write convincing Woo Woo

It would look like a dull text book without the numerous adjectives required to keep the gulible engaged

23. Magical Realist Valued Senior Member

Anybody's past, extraordinary or not. Most of what we know comes from what other people tell us. Never do we think to question their credibility unless they are known for lying or have an obvious motive for doing so. Never do we insist on verifying eyewitness accounts seen on the news. So this claim you make that truth is only what is verifiable is bogus. Nobody does that. And when it come to seeing ufos, it's no different either, particularly when the same ufo is seen by multiple eyewitnesses like 4 pilots and 5 air traffic controllers. The old extraordinary claims demanding extraordinary evidence addage of Sagan is just the debunker's way of moving the goalposts so nobody who sees ufos or anything else that they don't wanna believe in will ever be taken seriously. In reality, extraordinary events will have the same evidence as ordinary events because they have equivalent impacts on the physical world. There will be eyewitnesses, and photos, and trace effects left on the environment. And that's compelling.

Last edited: Feb 26, 2018