UFOs (UAPs): Explanations?

Discussion in 'UFOs, Ghosts and Monsters' started by Magical Realist, Oct 10, 2017.

1. Bells Staff Member

Because MR has been touting these UFO communities, that have become, as Vallee noted, like cults, who will essentially believe everything they are told or shown about UFO's. He criticised both skeptics and the scientific community and these cult like groups and believers.

MR quoted the shorter quote in response to others criticising what he was posting as evidence, that an unidentified light in the sky automatically signaled aliens.

The reality is that Vallee, even in his beliefs, discounts such claims and argued that "ufologists" push a certain agenda, targeted at the vulnerable and those who are easily led *cough* into believing anything they see. He criticises skeptics and the scientific community for failing to study credible witnesses to UFO's and argues that that refusal drives even reliable witnesses into the arms of the nutbags.

You don't say..

I have often asked what leads people to go from bright light in the sky to something otherworldly.. And I never actually get a response that explains or articulates or demonstrates that reasoning.

Most people will look at everything that goes inbetween first. More rational explanations, like a helicopter, plane, drone, etc.. Yet, for some reason, that seeking of a rational explanation is deemed irrational for some, while they leap directly to something not of this planet or this time as being more rational.

Until further proof is forthcoming, I think most rational or thinking human beings would say it is a helicopter first.

Yes, because leaping to it being a helicopter or a plane, makes as little sense as leaping to it being an alien in an alien spacecraft.....

You should read his book.

James has already answered this brilliantly.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Magical Realist Valued Senior Member

UFO communities? Cults? Where have I even remotely touted anything like those? Cite the post. I'll wait. I've actually read books and articles by Jacques Vallee. You don't think he believes ufos are real? Here..I hate to burst your bubble..

"Scientific opinion has generally followed public opinion in the belief that unidentified flying objects either do not exist (the "natural phenomena hypothesis") or, if they do, must represent evidence of a visitation by some advanced race of space travellers (the extraterrestrial hypothesis or "ETH"). It is the view of the author that research on UFOs need not be restricted to these two alternatives. On the contrary, the accumulated data base exhibits several patterns tending to indicate that UFOs are real, represent a previously unrecognized phenomenon, and that the facts do not support the common concept of "space visitors." "---Vallee
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jacques_Vallée

Not when the ufo makes no noise, shoots off at amazing speeds, is a glowing disk or has many flashing multicolored lights, and shoots beams of light out itself. Saying it is helicopter at this point is just plain stupid.

Last edited: Oct 23, 2017
  4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Bells Staff Member

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

That's a picture of Venus taken at midday, during the period where it is brightest in the sky. To wit, on a clear day, during those periods, you can see it during the day and yes, it does generate UFO reports.

You do behave as though you are in some kind of cult.. But instead of to a specific believer, it is to a belief system. You do behave like the people Vallee comments about. In short, you are kind of gullible and believe even the most ridiculous things and you claim it as being fact.. Kind of like what Vallee describes as what people in cults behave like. You didn't understand that from when I quoted that passage in full and what I was addressing to Yazata?

Did you actually understand what I wrote, MR? And in the context of Vallee's full quote and what it was in response to?

I mean, I get that you like to take some things out of context, but this kind of borders on the ridiculous.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Magical Realist Valued Senior Member

James actually claimed the planet Venus looks like a disk, hoping I guess to explain why people would take it as a ufo. I don't buy that for a moment. Most people who see Venus do not see a moving ufo. They see a stationary starlike body. A planet. People aren't idiots. They've seen Venus since they were kids. It is a well known object in the evening sky.

So you admit I've never espoused any cult or ufo community. Thanks for confirming that.

8. Bells Staff Member

Venus is one of the natural objects most often mistaken for a UFO in the sky, including by pilots. One Air Canada pilot plunged the passenger jet into a dive after seeing a moving light out of the cockpit window, believing a colision was imminent with a ufo. Its an optical illusion, but many fall for it. The light he had seen was Venus. In fact many pilots report seeing a ufo, when it is in fact venus. It is actually quite common. https://www.seeker.com/airplane-ufo-or-venus-176

Perhaps you should go back and read what I actually said, in context and then note the sites you quote from and link to and you might grasp what I actually meant. But I doubt you are capable of such introspection.

9. Magical Realist Valued Senior Member

No..pilots do not often mistake the planet Venus for a moving ufo. They are quite familiar with Venus, seeing it every time they fly at night. The whole Venus theory is just a standby excuse concocted by skeptics to handwave away ufo sightings, of which there are many tens of thousands and which bear not the slightest resemblance to the planet Venus or the moon or helicopters or anything else in the natural world.

lol! Ok then.. since you are now taking to insulting me, quote where I have ever touted a ufo community or a ufo cult. Or quote where I linked to or quoted from a cult website. Just do that simple thing or admit you're a pathetic liar. I'll wait.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 23, 2017
  10. James R Just this guy, you know? Staff Member

When I said it looks like a disc, I only mean that it has apparent size and that it does not look like a point-like star. It's not large, and to most people it looks like a very bright star (assuming they don't think it's an alien craft, of course, which is very common).

Who knows? You might even be right about "most people" in this instance. But it only takes some people to think it's a UFO, and that's enough to support a regular stream of UFO reports that are really the planet Venus.

I hate to break it to you, but some people are idiots.

A lot of people rarely look at the night sky, especially when they live in cities full of light pollution, as so many do these days. They are not familiar with the stars and the planets.

But sometimes they do. Which is enough to generate UFO reports that are really the planet Venus. See?

Many supposed "sightings" of UFOs have been convincingly debunked with reference to the planet Venus. Why, I even gave you a beautiful example when I exploded the Ravenna County incident for you. Remember? It's linked above so you can refresh your memory.

You're back to the nervous laughter again, I see. Are we shaking your world with our pesky skepticism?

11. Bells Staff Member

And yet:

The strange fact is that Venus has been responsible for many UFO sightings over the years. This skeptical explanation causes discomfort for many UFO believers, who claim that eyewitness UFO reports by pilots are the most reliable in the world. After all, they claim, experienced pilots are familiar with normal lights in the night sky - surely no pilot could possibly mistake a planet for a nearby flying object!

Robert Sheaffer, a columnist for Skeptical Inquirer magazine and veteran UFO investigator, told Discovery News that "there is a long history of Venus (or some other bright planet or star) being perceived as something that it isn't. Even the UFO proponent Jacques Vallee wrote back in 1966 that "no single object has been misinterpreted as a 'flying saucer' more often than the planet Venus."

In fact, Sheaffer noted, "During World War II, B-29 crews making night bombing raids in Japan reported being followed by a 'ball of fire' that turned out to be Venus. Since then, numerous police officers and pilots have made the same mistake, as did Jimmy Carter, who reported seeing a UFO back in 1969 that turned out to be in exactly the same place as Venus."

And it's not just pilots..

Roy Craig’s riveting book UFOs: An Insider’s View of the Official Quest for Evidence, about his investigations for the U.S. Air Force’s Colorado Project, includes an account of veteran police officers in Georgia chasing a mysterious, fast-moving object “about 500 feet above the ground.” Yep, it was Venus.

It is caused by an optical illusion. Being in a moving object, and seeing a stationary object in the sky, can seem like that light or object is moving. Hell, people mistake planets for UFO's while stationary. Take for example this photo from a UFO site:

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

The photo was taken on the 17th of May in 2012.

Do you know what was bright in the night sky in the first half of the year in 2012?

Venus and Jupiter.

It is actually more common than you realise. I explained that it is an optical illusion. Do you understand how this happens? Next time you drive your car at night, pick one object in the night sky out of your driver's side window, for example. Now check out your window as you drive in a straight line and you will see that it looks as though it is moving along with your car. Now, imagine that object is a very very bright planet, like Venus, at dawn or dusk.

And it is not just planets like Venus. Lenticular clouds also result in reports of UFO's.. For example:

In Texas on June 15, 2015 there were more than 50 reports of alien spacecraft hovering over the state. Meteorologists confirmed that the bizarre formations were in fact lenticular clouds although not everyone was convinced, including members of the Mutual UFO Network (MUFON).

The extent to which people pushed that they were UFO's was actually quite, well, spectacular and yes, despite some at MUFON stating they were lenticular clouds, people did remain unconvinced. Other UFO sites also reported they were UFO's, cloaking themselves in clouds:

Despite statements made by authorities and experts regarding the true identification of the clouds, reports submitted to the Mutual UFO Network (MUFON) just keep on coming. On Wednesday, June 10, 2015, a citizen presented a similar incident that happened on May 16, 2015.

According to the post featured in the MUFON website, the individual wrote: "It looked like a cloud at first, but its appearance was circular and disappeared before there [sic] eyes." The report was made by the person in behalf of friends, who saw the actual incident.

"It will be cleared out as a lenticular cloud," says Fletcher Gray, MUFON volunteer chief investigator in Texas. He adds that due to combination of the low pressure system, lower temperatures in the upper atmosphere and occurrence of rains and hails lately, the submitted reports pertain to clouds only.

UFO enthusiasts said the sightings are "cloaked UFOs," which occur when the spaceships that travel in disguise as lenticular clouds de-cloaked. A total of 56 UFO sightings reported in the past month are still up for Gray's review at the moment, including a photograph of a green garbage can lid that a guy claimed is a UFO.

People are willing to believe anything, if they want it strongly enough.

Now, you have said that pilots do not often mistake Venus for a moving UFO. Do you have evidence to support that assertion? Because Venus is one of the brightest things in the sky at dawn or dusk and is the one thing that is most often mistaken for a UFO. Do you have any evidence to suggest otherwise?

I take it you still do not understand what Vallee meant in the full quote (from which you quoted a small portion, leaving out all context) and what I meant in responding to Yazata.

MR, you are demonstrating exactly what Vallee said in that quote. Take for example clear evidence that pilots mistake Venus for UFO's or even other planes, you respond with the assertion that they do not often mistake Venus for a UFO. Despite all evidence to the contrary. This is what Vallee meant by cult like beliefs among 'ufologists'. Do you understand now?

12. James R Just this guy, you know? Staff Member

Magical Realist was presented with overwhelming evidence that the Portage County UFO was the planet Venus (mostly), but he refused to believe it. He just ignores evidence he doesn't like.

13. Kittamaru Ashes to ashes, dust to dust. Adieu, Sciforums. Valued Senior Member

Which would seem, by all appearances, to run afoul of any standard of honesty, good debate, etc...

14. Yazata Valued Senior Member

What "UFO communities" are these? (I don't doubt that they exist, I'm just doubtful that you can characterize and identify them.) When has MR ever "touted" them?

I think that what Vallee was referring to was probably the movement towards dark and conspiratorial ideation among a certain segment of UFO believers.

Vallee is a UFOlogist, one of the best known and most interesting ones. If you ever saw 'Close Encounters of the Third Kind', the Steven Spielberg movie, the French UFO expert 'Lacombe' at the UFO landing was inspired by Vallee.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jacques_Vallée

https://qph.ec.quoracdn.net/main-qimg-16c0ab7ccefa7e69bfa0194853577c8d-c

I haven't read the book that MR quoted from and I'd wager that you haven't read it either.

But I did read Vallee's Anatomy of a Phenomenon when it originally came out in hardback. I was still in high school and that book kind of stoked my lifelong interest in UFOs.

https://www.amazon.com/Anatomy-Phen...Q_1_12?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1508765365&sr=1-12

I proceeded to read several of its successors, books that got into the history of extraordinary visions in the sky and Vallee's belief that whatever is behind the UFO phenomenon is nothing new and is deeply intertwined with myth over the ages.

(I personally take a folkloric approach to UFOs. Even if there aren't any extraordinary physical objects darting around the skies, the persistent belief that there are is itself an extraordinary phenomenon that cries out for investigation.)

MR seems to be more up to speed on the contents of Vallee's more recent books than any of the rest of us are. Many ideas that MR mentions seem to reflect ideas that I take it Vallee has written about in those later books.

I most emphatically don't endorse every one of Vallee's ideas. I think that his brilliance lies in his originality, his willingness to think of things in new ways, to think 'outside the box'. If nothing else, he's stimulating. He throws out ideas that nobody else has thought of before him.

People have always done that. Perhaps it derives from the traditional meaning of the word 'heavens' and from the fact that apart from a few passing airplanes, everything seen in the sky is indeed "otherworldly". (The Sun, the Moon, the planets, the stars...) In ancient Mesopotamia people literally believed they were seeing the gods (or at least their activities) up there. That's where astrology came from, since it was hypothesized that divine events in heaven indicated times when it was auspicious to undertake various things on Earth. So they watched the heavens closely. By keeping records of those observations they noted regularities, so the idea of divine unpredictability and caprice gave way to the idea of the rule of eternal reason and predictability. We still see that in our contemporary visions of 'laws of nature'.

Perhaps "the heavens" haven't entirely lost their age-old significance in our brave-new-world.

One can just as easily ask the corresponding question of the "skeptics": What leads people to go from 'unexplained phenomenon' to belief that whatever is seen must necessarily fit comfortably into a nice little conceptual box? What reasoning justifies that? There seems to be an implicit faith that our existing conceptual scheme is all-inclusive, that we already have the universe figured out. Or that if there are any remaining loose-ends, they will only be visible at the margins, at CERN or the astronomical observatories. (Nothing to disturb our life here on Earth.)

Note that I'm not endorsing the conclusion that UFO's are alien spaceships. (I'm actually skeptical about that and would weight it with a relatively low likelihood.) My attitude towards some of the better UFO cases is that we don't know what they are. Their nature is (at least for now) unknown. That's something that the misnamed "skeptics" seem curiously unwilling to admit.

I might have drifted away from Vallee and his ideas in my youth when I discovered philosophy. A realization struck me then that's remained with me for the rest of my life: The fact that most of what happens in everyday life is profoundly mysterious whenever its questioned and interrogated.

What are logic and mathematics? How do they relate to the physical world? How do human beings even know about mathematical truths? What is word meaning? How do words manage to refer to extra-linguistic realities? How do a small handful of confirming instances from experiment or observation successfully confirm universally applicable laws? And on and on, through every other aspect of reality and of life.

As soon as we start asking questions about even the most mundane features of existence, we almost immediately find ourselves at the frontiers of human knowledge. We are surrounded by mysteries at every moment but most people (the non-philosophical ones) just kind of shut their minds to it. We seemingly just rely on faith in order to conduct our everyday lives. (It certainly isn't knowledge.)

Magical Realist likes this.
  15. Magical Realist Valued Senior Member

Here's a quote from his recent autobiography that encapsules his mature thought on the ufo issue:

"The UFO Phenomenon exists. It has been with us throughout history. It is physical in nature and it remains unexplained in terms of contemporary science. It represents a level of consciousness that we have not yet recognized, and which is able to manipulate dimensions beyond time and space as we understand them."---"Forbidden Science", by Jacques Vallee.

16. Gawdzilla Sama Valued Senior Member

And of course "Unidentified" means "little green space buddies" unconditionally.

17. Bells Staff Member

Hmm.. Why did you cut the rest of the sentence, which actually provides the context? In other words, why did you quote only a portion and take it so far out of context?

The sentence in full:

On the one hand, it actually answers your question. On the other hand, your taking it out of context actually turns it into a different thing altogether.

Pretty poor form, Yazata.

Yes, which was addressed in the sentence in full. But you chose to post it out of context and leave out that bit.

Yes I know. I have actually read a few of his books.

The book where he discusses the dangers of UFO cults is called "Messengers of Deception: UFO Contacts and Cults". He mentions it in his introduction of another book, which MR quoted from, out of context (what is it with the two of you!). And I would bet that MR has not read any of his works and seeing how he posted his quote, I'd wager he is pulling them from quote mining sites.

And oh yeah, I have read that book too.

The inter-dimensional beings, you mean?

Did you read Vallee's comments about research in California about alien abductions? How scientists found that people who had no experience with UFO's, etc, were suddenly recounting abduction events that were entirely invented in their own minds and how they were all virtually identical.. To wit, in the section titled "the abduction reports" in Messengers, Vallee sounds the warnings about just how easy it is to fool others into believing these stories of abductions and even pass lie detector tests and how 'we' are expected to view this as being somehow scientific. Where he complains about ufologists who resort to arguments about lie detector tests proving the existence of alien abductions and 'contact events', despite research that it is not realiable and despite the study in California which showed directly, how easily the mind can be led to or imagine a UFO abduction or contact scenario, despite the person having never experienced it.

Don't you find it interesting that MR seems to not latch on to those realities (or ideas) about UFO's?

I personally think he's a kook. But his books are entertaining.

I do, however, agree with his opinion of just how people are willing to believe that something is a UFO or aliens, despite a complete lack of evidence to support that claim. That what ufologists demands people accept as being scientific or real, has no basis in reality at all and is not scientific in the slightest.

I think most skeptics are the ones who keep saying that they are unknown. It's the believers who demand that they are aliens who are leaping above and beyond all rational thought, ignoring even clear cases of earthly objects, because it does not fit into what they want it to be.

18. Magical Realist Valued Senior Member

Does it? Is that what Vallee believes?

19. Magical Realist Valued Senior Member

Skeptics hardly ever say a ufo is unknown. They usually say it is Venus, or a meteor, or a weather balloon, or swamp gas, and move on to the next case because they aren't really interested in investigating what makes the sighted ufo different from all those pat explanations. They basically accept certain parts of the eyewitness accounts, cherrypicking what supports their conclusion, and then dismiss the other parts that conflict with their conclusion as false memories or fabrications. That's why we don't rely on skeptics for finding the truth on these matters. We rely on the UFO researchers who actually go out and investigate these cases and on the eyewitnesses by whom they were actually sighted.

20. Kittamaru Ashes to ashes, dust to dust. Adieu, Sciforums. Valued Senior Member

Hasty generalization, poisoning the well, cherry picking, and reduction to absurdity, all in one claim... that's almost impressive.

In other words, you wish to disregard anything that doesn't align with your pre-determined outcome, simply because you don't like it.

Face it MR - you aren't after the truth... you are simply looking for self gratification.

If you wanted the truth, you would accept the designation "UFO" for what it truly is, and then attempt to ascertain what it is, regardless if the conclusion is something mundane or something extraordinary.

21. Gawdzilla Sama Valued Senior Member

And not single-sourcing the research would be a big help as well.

22. Magical Realist Valued Senior Member

Wrong..I rule out mundane explanations first, and if that is done, only then conclude it is a ufo.

Yes..I'm gratified by knowing the truth. As you should be too.

I accept the standard definition and understanding of the term ufo:

"An unidentified flying object, or UFO, is in its strictest definition any apparent object in the sky that is not identifiable as a known object or phenomenon. However the term is widely used in popular culture to refer more specifically to supposed observations of craft of extraterrestrial origin."---https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unidentified_flying_object

23. Kittamaru Ashes to ashes, dust to dust. Adieu, Sciforums. Valued Senior Member

You don't "rule out" anything - you simply dismiss it out of hand.

That's a good one - almost made me grin.

Are you accepting the actual definition, or the pop-culture definition? There is a difference... as your own citation states quite clearly.