UFOs (UAPs): Explanations?

Discussion in 'UFOs, Ghosts and Monsters' started by Magical Realist, Oct 10, 2017.

1. Magical Realist Valued Senior Member

Newspaper articles. Investigator reports. First hand accounts. Photos. Astronomical data. Certainly not single-sourced.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Magical Realist Valued Senior Member

I accept both definitions.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Kittamaru Ashes to ashes, dust to dust. Adieu, Sciforums. Valued Senior Member

That pretty well proves... you aren't out for the truth, you are out for the fanaticism.

MR, let me put it this way - what proof would you demand to set to rest, once and for all, that none of the sightings ever have been extraterrestrial craft. Hypothetically speaking, what would suffice, and what would you accept?

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Magical Realist Valued Senior Member

LOL! What does accepting those definitions have to do with fanaticism?

There is no such proof. It would require a scenario where every ufo sighting was proven to be a natural phenomenon or a manmade object. Unfortunately that's not happening. Thousands of ufo sightings are not explainable as natural or manmade objects. UFO's really exist. And knowing this, when another one appears, we can say with confidence, well there's another UFO.

8. Kittamaru Ashes to ashes, dust to dust. Adieu, Sciforums. Valued Senior Member

Wait for it...

You just answered your own question. Per your own words, there is no way that you would accept that aliens do not exist, regardless of what evidence is provided. We could, in fact, be alone in the universe... and even if that were proven, you would refuse to accept it.

At this point, as I already stated, you are not looking for the truth, because you have already predetermined your eventual conclusion, and will continue to cherry pick evidence until you feel you have reached it.

That isn't science. That's cult fanaticism.

9. Magical Realist Valued Senior Member

I didn't say aliens. They could be interdimensionals or time travelers for all we know. And yes as I already said there is a way for me to accept that ufos don't exist, and that is proving all ufo sightings are mundane objects. But that isn't reality. Metallic discs flying at high speeds vertically and horizontally in the sky and stopping on a dime and hovering all without making a sound are really out there. They exist. It's an unchangeable fact. Deal with it.

No..it's scientifically going by the evidence and judging each case on an individual basis without assuming ufos don't exist, It has nothing to do with a cult or fanaticism,

Last edited: Oct 23, 2017
  10. Kittamaru Ashes to ashes, dust to dust. Adieu, Sciforums. Valued Senior Member

*shakes head* I truly wonder what you could accomplish, had you put this kind of fanaticism towards a worthwhile goal, one in which you had access to supplies and materials, rather than this.

Then again, an architect that denies a building would be unstable despite several people providing evidence to the fact would be quite the public menace...

None the less, the point has been quite adequately demonstrated, and even admitted by yourself, that you are not interested in debating facts or evidence unless it conforms to your desired outcome.

11. Magical Realist Valued Senior Member

You haven't debunked a single case of the dozens of cases I have posted in this forum. All you do is bitch and complain about me as a person like that has anything to do with the evidence for ufos. You can't help yourselves because you know you have no argument against all this solid evidence. So James R calls me gullible and stupid. Bells calls me a cult follower. And now you call me a fanatic. But not one debunk of any of the cases I have presented. It's the same shit over and over. Attack the messenger because you can't stand the message. When are all of you going to grow up and act like real science forum moderators?

12. Magical Realist Valued Senior Member

Your thread on the Portage County ufo was the laughing stock of this forum. I'm glad it's still around so others can read it and see what ridiculous lengths skeptics will go to to deny the evidence right in front of them. Nothing about the accounts of that night suggested a bright meteor, which two policeman took to be a ufo, and then continued to chase in their patrol cars as what you allege to be the planet Venus for over 30 miles until THAT was replaced by what you allege to be a drifting weather balloon. Your whole contrived story is actually more incredible than a ufo. It's like you blinded yourself by your own obsession to debunk something, ending up with only a silly farce that nobody in their right mind would ever believe. And then to top it all off you strut around bragging about it.

Last edited: Oct 24, 2017
  13. James R Just this guy, you know? Staff Member

Obviously, you're a terrible judge of these things.

I'm glad it's still around as a reminder of just how poor you are at looking at evidence. It is also a testament to the ridiculous lengths you will go to in order to protect your silly worldview against the assaults of common sense.

I invite anybody who is interested to read the thread and judge for themselves.

14. Kittamaru Ashes to ashes, dust to dust. Adieu, Sciforums. Valued Senior Member

See, MR, this, right here, is the problem. In this very thread, you openly, readily, and succinctly admitted that no amount of evidence would sway you that ExtraTerrestrial Life doesn't exist - you have already come to your conclusion, regardless of the facts, and have proudly admitted that no fact will change your mind.

So, I ask... what point is there in engaging you? No matter how wrong you are, you are going to strut around like the "big rooster on the farm", unaware that to the rest of the barnyard animals, you are nothing but a loud nuisance with no power whatsoever...

15. Magical Realist Valued Senior Member

Duh yeah. I believe ufos are real and are operated by nonhuman intelligences. Ofcourse I assume they exist. Every case I present is a well vetted and investigated classic that has withstood scrutiny for decades. That's what I'm doing. Presenting the compelling evidence for ufos. If you don't like it, get lost.

It's certainly not to get me to concede something I don't believe. That's for sure. I know ufos are the real deal based on studying them for years. I'm not going to pretend to not know they exist just for discussion sake.

16. Bells Staff Member

They tend to say that they are UFO's..

They do not immediately say 'it's aliens' and I think that is what is tripping you up on this point.

By the by, do you have that evidence to support your comments about pilots never mistaking Venus for a UFO yet?

Because more often than not, when one investigates, that is what it turns out to be.

Tell me, do you think the first officer of that Air Canada passenger jet saw Venus or a UFO?

You do that too.. Repeatedly.

So, you don't support Vallee's comments on the matter then?

And you don't believe the California study he cited about just how easy it is for the mind to invent something that never happened and literally make their bodies and brains believe it did?

In other words, you are only willing to hear from those who tell you what you want to hear, despite all evidence to the contrary.

Tell me something, say you are on a passenger jet. Who would you prefer for a pilot?

One who wakes up, sees a bright light outside the cockpit and automatically thinks UFO, and puts the plane into a dive and nearly colliding with another plane and injuring over a dozen passengers? Or a skeptic who would would assess the situation and go with the most mundane?

Personally, as someone who travels, I'd rather the skeptic who is not going to automatically jump to UFO because something was bright outside the window.

17. Gawdzilla Sama Valued Senior Member

I saw a triangular UFO once, in St. Louis. This is near Belleville, Illinois, where the first "triangular UFO" was reported and cause an mini-hysteria.

It was late at night, sky clear, weather cool. As I was driving down N. Hanley St, heading toward I-70, I saw three red lights in a triangular formation that appeared to float in the air. My immediate reaction was "WOW!, There's ship load of aliens!"

Not really. The flight path for Lambert Field crosses Hanley at that point. I was seeing an aircraft coming directly at me, and experiencing the same phenomenon that makes tornadoes coming directly at the observer appear to be motionless. However, if one of my feckless cousins had been with me he would have been on the phone to MUFON immediately. The difference between us is that I could see the same thing he saw and come to a rational conclusion.

18. Kittamaru Ashes to ashes, dust to dust. Adieu, Sciforums. Valued Senior Member

Again, predefined conclusion, regardless of evidence... You aren't here for discussion, as you just admitted, you are here to preach and proselytize your extraterrestrial narrative.

A shame, really.

19. Magical Realist Valued Senior Member

All this talk of pilots mistaking Venus for a ufo is wont to give the impression that they never see actual ufos. Here's just a few typical accounts of ufos sighted by pilots. Certainly not explainable as the planet Venus or swamp gas. Review the whole NICAP report. You might learn something.

"The earliest recorded UFO sighting by an airline pilot, during the initial flurry of sightings in the United States, was the report by Capt. E. J. Smith, United Airlines, July 4, 1947. Flying a DC-3 from Boise, Idaho, to Portland, Oregon, Captain Smith and his crew observed two separate groups of flat round objects ahead, silhouetted against the sunset. The UFOs were visible for about 10 minutes over a distance of about 45 miles, opening and closing formation. In the second group of UFOs, three operated close together, and a fourth was off to one side by itself. [31]

Since that date, dozens of pilots on all the major airlines have reported UFOs.

Private pilots, also, have witnessed typical geometrical UFOs. During July 1948, in Pasco, Washington, Don Newman (former Air Force pilot) watched a disc-shaped UFO with a dome on top maneuvering over the city at 1:00 p.m. "The exterior finish appeared to be spun or brushed aluminum," Newman said in his report to NICAP. The UFO alternately slowed and accelerated rapidly, diving, and climbing over the area. [32]

On March 18, 1950, Robert Fisher was flying his family from Chicago to Keokuk, Iowa. Near Bradford, Illinois, at 8:40 a.m., he spotted an oval, metallic-appearing disc ahead and slightly to the left of his Bonanza NC 505B. The UFO was moving on a course of about 120 degrees true. (Fisher was flying a southwesterly course, approximately 225 degrees.) The UFO shone in the sunlight, but when it flew below an overcast continued to glow, indicating that it was self-illuminated. It quickly moved off into the distance, at a speed estimated to be 600 to 1,000 mph. [33]

Near Goshen, Indiana, April 27, 1950, a bright orange-red disc paced a Trans World Airways DC-3, which was piloted by Capts. Robert Adickes and Robert F. Manning. As the crew and many passengers watched, the UFO pulled alongside the plane. It looked "like a big red wheel rolling along." Each time the pilot moved toward the object, it moved away as if controlled by repulse radar. When the pilot turned, the disc dove (presenting an edge-on view) and sped off to the north toward South Bend. [34]

A month later (May 29), an American Airlines plane departed Washington, D. C., enroute south over Virginia. About 9:30 p.m., First Officer Bill Gates noticed a light approaching the airliner head-on and notified Capt. Willis T. Sperry. Flight Engineer Robert Arnholt also witnessed what followed. An unidentified object with a brilliant bluish light on the leading edge neared, and seemed to stop. Suddenly it darted to the left of the plane, stopped for a few seconds, then circled around to the right. There it was silhouetted against the moon, revealing a torpedo-shaped or narrow elliptical body. Finally the UFO sped away to the east. Captain Sperry called the speed "fantastic," and said it was "without a doubt beyond the limits of any known aircraft speeds." [35]

A "perfectly round disc" hovering above the Hanford atomic plant, Richland, Washington, was observed by four veteran pilots July 5, 1952. The four Conner Airlines pilots were interviewed by United Press when they landed in Denver, Colorado, and their story was put on the newswires that day.

Capt. John Baldwin (former Air Force pilot, with 7000 hours airline pilot experience at the time) said he was flying near the Hanford atomic plant at about 9000 feet. The UFO was noticed above the plane about 6:00 a.m. It was "just below a deck of wispy clouds about 10,000 to 15,000 feet directly above us," Baldwin said. He described it as "a perfectly round disc, white in color and almost transparent with small vapor trails off it like the tentacles of an octopus." [cf., September 24, 1959 FAA case below]

Capt. George Robertson, D. Shenkel (both former Air Force pilots) and Steven Summers confirmed Baldwin's report. "All of us have been flying a number of years," Baldwin said, "and we've seen all kinds of clouds and formations, but none of us had ever seen anything like this before."

At first, the UFO was hovering. Then it "seemed to back away" and tilt edge-on. "It became flat, gained speed and then disappeared quickly," Baldwin reported. "----http://www.nicap.org/ufoe/section_5.htm

20. Gawdzilla Sama Valued Senior Member

And then the probing started.

21. Bells Staff Member

Yep yep..

You still aren't answering the question though. Why are you avoiding providing evidence to support your claims about pilots and Venus and changing the subject?

Here is what you claimed:

That's quite a claim.. Do you have any evidence to back it up?

I have said that Venus is one of the objects mistaken for a UFO quite a bit. Here, yet another link:

Venus has been hell for UFO investigators, too. "No single object has been misinterpreted as a flying saucer more often than the planet Venus," wrote pro-UFO theorist Dr. Jacques Vallee. Venus plays so prominent a role in the generation of UFO reports it has been humorously nicknamed 'the queen of UFOs.' "

It can be difficult for a naive observer to appreciate the ease of misperception of Venus. Literally millions of UFO sightings have been touched off by the planet Venus, according to statistics from the Center for UFO Studies (CUFOS) in Evanston, Illinois. These include reports from astronauts, pilots, policemen, ordinary citizens, and, as we have seen, a future president.

But UFO investigators through years of experience know that Venus, shining brilliantly, flashing colors, appearing to dart back and forth or to spin wildly, can indeed give rise to bizarre reports from intelligent, sober, and otherwise trustworthy individuals. Often, the complex process of human perception and memory creates an extremely strange report so that many witnesses themselves afterwards refuse to accept the Venus' explanation.

Venus Continues to Deceive
    Vallee collected a series of UFO descriptions made during an incident in 1957 that turned out to be of the planet Venus:

• "Round object, size of a dime, emitting beams of light"; "large oval object, brilliant orange, seen for one hour"
    • "Cigar-shaped object, size of a pea at arm's length, long tail with three blue trails, with sudden sidewise motion"
    • "Object the size of a basketball, silvery, then red, seemed to be spinning"; "pear shaped, size of a B-52, metallic, seen with binoculars"
    • "Round object with triangular section on top which was spinning like the streamers on a pole at the fair"
    Despite the wavering accuracy of these reports, the phenomena were easily identified as Venus because of their reported direction and movement.

But can Venus really be so easily distinguished as Vallee would like to believe? Some famous cases provide interesting and troubling results.

Astronaut Michael Collins (later on the first moon-landing flight and then with the Smithsonian in Washington) was passing over Australia on the Gemini-10 mission in July 1966. He was standing up in the open hatch, taking star photographs, when he spotted a UFO.

"The sun is just beginning to come up," Collins radioed to the ground. "Also, to the east, we see an extremely bright object. I believe it's too bright to be a planet. It's north of Orion about six or eight degrees. Is it the Gemini-8 Agena [satellite]?"

But Collins was wrong, as he later candidly confessed: "I think I was fooled by the planet Venus." Star charts confirmed the position of Venus right where Collins had seen his "extremely bright object...too bright to be a planet." One of the best trained sky observers in the world (or out of it) had been fooled by Venus.

The astronaut was not the first pilot to mistake Venus for a nearby craft. Thousands of World War II pilots, flying at altitudes higher than ever before frequented by men, often reported being paced by a bright glowing object. On occasion, gunners opened fire, fearing they were being attacked by secret Axis air weapons. But they were not in danger, just as the object was safe from their bullets—they had no chance of hitting the planet Venus
    You say it is just an excuse. That pilots do not often mistake Venus for a "moving UFO".

Prove it. Support that assertion.

22. Magical Realist Valued Senior Member

Here's another compelling case of a jetliner encounter with a whole fleet of ufos!

"On the evening of July 14, 1952, a Pan American Airways DC-4 airliner, flying at 8,000 feet, was approaching the Norfolk, Virginia, area enroute to Miami. The senior Captain was back in the cabin and Capt. William B. Nash, temporarily acting as First Officer, was at the controls. In the right hand cockpit seat was Second Officer William Fortenberry. The night was clear and visibility unlimited. Norfolk lay about 20 miles ahead, on the plane's course of 200 degrees magnetic. Off to the right were the lights of Newport News.

About 8:10 p.m. EST, both men noticed a red brilliance in the sky, apparently beyond and to the east of Newport News. The light quickly resolved itself into six bright objects streaking toward the plane, at lower altitude. The UFOs were fiery red. "Their shape was clearly outlined and evidently circular," Captain Nash stated. "The edges were well-defined, not phosphorescent or fuzzy in the least." The upper surfaces were glowing red-orange.

Within seconds, "we could observe that they were holding a narrow echelon formation--a stepped-up line tilted slightly to our right, with the leader at the lowest point and each following craft slightly higher," Captain Nash said.

Abruptly, the leader seemed to slow. The second and third objects wavered slightly and almost overran the leader. The pilots estimated that the UFOs were a little more than a mile below them, at about 2,000 feet, and about 100 feet in diameter.

When the line of discs was almost directly underneath the plane and slightly to the right front, the UFOs abruptly flipped up on edge in unison and reversed direction. (See diagram.) Captain Nash described the maneuver: " . . . they flipped on edge, the sides to the left of us going up and the glowing surfaces facing right. Though the bottom surfaces did not become clearly visible, we had the impression that they were unlighted. The exposed edges, also unlighted, appeared to be about 15 feet thick, and the top surface, at least seemed flat. In shape and proportion, they were much like coins.

"While all were in the edgewise position, the last five slid over and past the leader so that the echelon was now tail foremost, so to speak, the top or last craft now being nearest to our position. Then, without any arc or swerve at all, they all flipped back together to the flat attitude and darted off in a direction that formed a sharp angle with their first course, holding their new formation.

"Immediately after these six lined away, two more objects just like them darted out from behind and under our airplane at the same altitude as the others."

As the two additional discs joined the formation, the lights of all eight blinked out, then came back on again. Still in line, the eight discs sped westward north of Newport News, climbed in a graceful arc above the altitude of the airliner. Then the lights blinked out one by one, though not in sequence.

Captain Nash also noted that the original six discs had dimmed slightly before their angular turn, and brightened considerably after making the turn. The two discs speeding to join the formation were brightest of all. Captain Nash and Third Officer Fortenberry radioed a report of the sighting to be forwarded to the Air Force.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

July 14, 1952; nr. Norfolk, Va.

Source:
    http://www.nicap.org/ufoe/section_5.htm

23. Magical Realist Valued Senior Member

I will concede that such a mistake occurs every now and then. But I see no evidence of it occurring that often. They probably go over the planet Venus and other illusions in pilot training school.