In one's own opinion, what is the most realistic depiction of humanity's future.

Discussion in 'SciFi & Fantasy' started by data2.0, Mar 8, 2013.

1. dumbest man on earth Real Eyes Realize Real Lies Valued Senior Member

The movie "Idiocracy", although a comedy, seemed fairly realistic as a "possible" future.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Boo88 Registered Member

Haven't seen it, but the name feels bleakly like it could be the case.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. dumbest man on earth Real Eyes Realize Real Lies Valued Senior Member

I, personally, enjoyed the heck out of the movie. If you enjoy well written/produced/acted satirical yet realistic humor - I heartily recommend taking the time to view it.

From IMDB : quote - "Private Joe Bauers, the definition of "average American", is selected by the Pentagon to be the guinea pig for a top-secret hibernation program. Forgotten, he awakes 500 years in the future. He discovers a society so incredibly dumbed-down that he's easily the most intelligent person alive." - unquote.

link : http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0387808/

The film is from Mike Judge - who also wrote and directed "Office Space" - another very enjoyable, to me anyway, movie.

From IMDB : quote - "Comedic tale of company workers who hate their jobs and decide to rebel against their greedy boss."

link : http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0151804/

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Boo88 Registered Member

Didn't mike Judge create Beavis and Butthead too? Or am I thinking of someone else. Either way, if that's on Netflix I might have to give it a look this weekend.

8. dumbest man on earth Real Eyes Realize Real Lies Valued Senior Member

I do believe that is the very same Mike Judge.

Review from Netflix : quote - "In the '70s--"Network" was an outlandish, far-fetched comedy. It all became true in 10-20 short years. Idiocracy takes place 500 years from now...but Mike Judge's vision of the future may not take that long to get here. Regardless--a hilarious movie, and now in my short list of the top 5 or 10 movies ever made." - unquote

link : http://dvd.netflix.com/Movie/Idiocr...&strackid=736b08c55af6c805_0_srl&trkid=222336

I do not have/use Netflix, so I am not sure if it is available for "streaming"!

9. wellwisher Banned Banned

The human future will involve a major operating system update within the brain. Picture updating your computer with a new operating system. First of all, the hardware will be checked to make sure it can run the new operating system. If not you can't update but have to remain the same Or you will need to change some of the hardware on the computer, to make the update possible. Other have the latest system and can update without too much problem.

The next step is, the updater will reformat the hard drive and install basic software for the installation. The computer or brain goes from something that is working, into something with very limited capacity before it can update. It will shift to base human instinct and emotions (running off the mother board and DVD). Then the update begins. This can occur in private or in a social network. The new brain firmware will have an entirely new interface and with new capabilities allowing humans to rise above.

The stories of prophesies tells of this update in the brain's operating system. The final product is a new human who is better integrated with the earth and the future. But before that happens, there is a lot of confusion and atrocity during installation preparations toward the mother board. At the same time, many will become unstable after installation, because the process was interrupted to early. One has to have faith right to the end for clean install. Many will say this is the end but that is not the end. It will keep going since the program is updating an intelligent computer. When it finally launches for the first time, it will be something to behold; wow man!

10. dumbest man on earth Real Eyes Realize Real Lies Valued Senior Member

wellwisher, what "operating system" are you "running", and what is behind your impetus to "update" or "install" a new "operating system"?

The process of reformatting a HDD is not required for an "update" - an "update" is just that - it "updates your current Operating System".

The process of reformatting a HDD is not required for a "New Operating System" install either - one can merely create a partition on the current HDD or install the "New Operating System" on a separate HDD.

Your statement : quote - "The computer or brain goes from something that is working, into something with very limited capacity before it can update." - unquote.
    The statement is also misconceived - for instance the "Windows Operating System" can and does maintain nearly full operating abilities while performing most "updates".
    What "Operating System", while performing an "update" or even a "New Install", also "changes" or "installs" new "Firmware"? And why would it "have an entirely new interface" and "new capabilities allowing humans to rise above."
    Does your computer require an "entirely new" keyboard and mouse with any "update" or "Operating System" change/install?
    And what, exactly, would it allow "humans to rise above"?

Most importantly - you mention the terms ; "software", "hardware" and "firmware" - have you ever heard the term ; "Wet Ware"?

I do believe that the human brain would be more accurately described in your metaphor as "wet ware" - and that any "programming" or "reprogramming" could or would only be successfully accomplished or completed, incrementally(pun intended!).

BTW, is your monetary income entirely dependent on your "computer maintenance and repair" skills - and , if so, how much income would you hope to achieve by application of those skills toward the space-time continuum?

11. Mazulu Banned Banned

There is a slight chance that scientists will break out of the space-time continuum. We will get a good look at what lies beyond, and will possibly go insane (HP Lovecraft scenario). Someone might try to build a shuttle that can break free of space-time, only to become lost in oblivion.

12. wegs Matter and Pixie Dust Valued Senior Member

All the traits of humanity, both the good and depraved, will stay the same. Time doesn't change human nature.

In terms of technology, it would be very cool to see if time travel (for humans) by way of a wormhole could ever be possible. (I highly doubt even with the "best" of technological advances, that wormholes will ever actually "serve" as bridges in space...to another place.)

Guess time will tell.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

13. river

I would like to think Babalyon 5 , with a dash of Star Trek ( without this one world government philosophy )

14. ExpectantlyIronic Registered Member

I'm insufferably optimistic about humanities future, so I'm going with Star Trek. Not the most realistic set of shows in the world, but I think the general direction of humanity they point to is on track, and coincides roughly with how things have been progressing. People have been predicting the downfall of humanity pretty much since there have been people, and yet we've grown considerably less sadistic, violent, and callous as measured proportionately with the population--with some bumps in the road here or there maybe, sure--despite whatever grim expectations there may be. Steven Pinker makes a very strong case for this in The Better Angels of Our Nature. Also, with cell phones we've pretty much done one better than the show on one front, even if the coverage is considerably short of galaxy wide. I'm not sure there's anyone in Andromeda I want to talk to, in any case.

15. wellwisher Banned Banned

The formation of civilization about 6-10K years ago was an example of such a major update. It is not easy to break habits, especially instinctive habits that had formed over tens of thousands of years; pre-civilization. Yet this new human, after the upgrade, did. Natural selection is connected the environment setting the potential and the pre-humans were in line with that selection process. Civilization allowed humans to better control the environment and therefore started to define the new direction of selection.

The next upgrade, will alter the direction of selection, once again. Civilization altered selection by altering the external environment with advances in science and technology. The next upgrade changes our ability to alter the internal environment. For example, say hypothetically the brain produced chemicals that made everyone happy. That would mean all those external things people buy and strive for to induce the same feelings of happiness are no longer needed. The external environment once again changes because demand is not there since the goal of this former demand, is already generated internally. This alters the selective process, again.

16. wellwisher Banned Banned

If you look at human evolution/history and equate this to brain functionality, you can infer the future. For example the left and right sides of the brain have different functionality. The left brain is where spoken and written language are processed. This is the differential side of the brain that also processed logic. The right side of the brain is more about spatial processing like emotions and intuitions, which are much older and connected to instinct.

One could infer the right brain was conscious first. The left brain didn't get as much conscious use until the beginning of civilization where language and alphabets appear. Before civilization the left brain still worked, but was more unconscious. This would allow a slow collection of skills to become part of memory.After civilization, culture begins to differentiate which needed more conscious use of the left brain. The upgrade was a migration more toward the left side of the brain.

The age of reason is the time where full conscious use of the left brain appears. It separated emotions and allows willful manipulation of the left brain via the processes of reason, which is left brain.

The next upgrade should end in the corpus callosum, which the bridge that connected to the hemispheres. This would allow the ability to use both sides of the brain to take advantage of both integral and differential processing. This will need an upgrade since it has to overcome left brain inertia.

17. Coltephilos Registered Member

The Road, The Book of Eli. I can honestly see humanity reach the brink of complete extinction, but as the age-old axiom claims "Life always finds a way".

18. rr6 Banned Banned

Unneccesary Head Slapping Troll Future

Based on what I've mostly encountered at this forum, I see a future filled with overeducated, mental head slapping trolls reaching and ego agreement clik with the supertstious mythological fundamentalist of right and left, stepping on those who would expand their minds to learn new concepts, truth and facts as they appear to us.

Trolls and the stupidity the inflict unneccesairly on others is a

sign for future of humanity. imho

r6

19. dumbest man on earth Real Eyes Realize Real Lies Valued Senior Member

rr6, "Trolls and the stupidity the inflict unneccesairly on others is a

sign for future of humanity. imho "- is a sign of rr6!

20. paddoboy Valued Senior Member

I like the Star Trek scenario....
    The Doomsayers have been Doomsaying since time immemorial.....
    The pessimists, including many famous otherwise reputable scientists, have been saying this or that can't be done....and we will never do this or that...
    Still don't quite understand how both these categories of people have not learnt from history.

If we can outlast a cosmic catastrophe similar to that which heralded the downfall of Dinosaurs and the rise of mammals 65 million years ago, the improvements in technology, the advancements in knowledge and know how, should see us being able to avoid such a scenario....As long as we don't get clobbered to hard within the next 50 years.

Outlasting that, I believe mankind will continue to improve in his attitude towards his fellow man, his tolerance of differences will improve, and hunger and poverty will be alleviated.
    We will go to the stars, [after settlement of the Moon, and Mars] united, [as this is obviously the most beneficial way to go.
    We will advance to type 1, 2 and possibly 3 class of civilisation based on the Kardashev scale, and consequently achieve apparent FTL travel, finally encounter other ET civilisations, and spread our seed far and wide.

I will diverge from the Star Trek scenario here, and say that any other intelligent species having achieved FTL travel, will have also achieved the benefits of peaceful co-existence.

So in summing all I can say to the pessimistic and Doomsayers amongst you, is brighten up! In the long run, I reckon we will be OK!

21. Icelavad Registered Member

Watch Star Trek. Your answer lies within.

22. psikeyhackr Live Long and Suffer Valued Senior Member

But now we have iTods.

I think it is an open question what will happen with "education" via computer tablets.

I don't expect schools to do a good job with them. But why can't parents and kids begin to short circuit the schools?

http://www.gutenberg.org/wiki/Science_Fiction_(Bookshelf)

People haven't been reading the right science fiction since the 60s.

Subversive (1962) by Mack Reynolds
    http://www.digilibraries.com/ebook/115574/Subversive/

Cost of Living (1952) by Sheckley Robert
    https://senjibqa.wordpress.com/2011/06/17/cost-of-living/
    https://senjibqa.wordpress.com/category/science/

Status Quo (1961) by Mack Reynolds
    http://manybooks.net/titles/reynoldsd3033930339-8.html

Otherwise Kim Stanley Robinson's view of Earth's future in Red Mars seems reasonable. I can't see Mars being colonized that fast though. It just made a great story.

psik

23. Trapped Banned Banned

I spend a lot of time concerning some idea's concerning futuristic interpretations of humanity and technology. Physiologically-speaking, your body will shrink, the human head and penis will get larger as well. This will be for a number of reasons, evolution has decided intellect is most important to get up there at the top of the food chain, humans are equipped also with different stages of supergenes which dictate their intellect. You may be one of the rare cases for instance, who has the superintellect gene. Penis size will grow larger. No need to explain why evolution will find this appealing.

It's likely we will have to become fully-space dwelling creatures. This will also add to the deterioration of the human body.

In the distant future, we will no longer need currency and we will have sorted all our racial differences and sexual differences. There will be one civilization in the end, not many as there are today as well.

Hope this gives you some idea of a realistic future of humans.