In Praise of Utopia

Discussion in 'General Philosophy' started by spidergoat, Apr 8, 2010.

1. Lori_7 Go to church? I am the church! Registered Senior Member

You're not the only one who's gone to university phlog, and well before I did, I knew what a law was.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. phlogistician Banned Banned

OK, then explain where these Universal laws are written, and how they are policed, please Lori? And what happens when matter breaks the law, what are the consequences?

Did you study Physics, btw?

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Lori_7 Go to church? I am the church! Registered Senior Member

No, I studied business admin, majoring in accounting. *yawn* I should have studied math or physics though.

Science and math have documented a fair amount of these laws, and religious texts have described some in their own way, but ultimately it doesn't matter if they're documented or not because we don't enforce them, nature does.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

The so-called natural laws seem orderly, but they result in ever increasing disorder. Their discovery is no indication that human society will ever be orderly and stable, quite the opposite.

8. phlogistician Banned Banned

Yes you should have studied maths or physics, 'cos it's clear you don't really understand them.

Laws are not observed. Behaviours are observed. The Universe does not obey laws, nature enforces nothing, stuff just does what it does because of it's nature. Nature isn't an entity in itself.

9. X-Man2 We're under no illusions. Registered Senior Member

I guess the closest thing I have seen that might have a possible chance or becoming realistic if the plan were followed would be the ideas of Jacque Fresco.His vision for the future called the Venus Project seems to conquer all of Humanity's negatives.Of course Mankinds animal nature will probably destroy all instead huh.

http://www.thevenusproject.com/

10. Lori_7 Go to church? I am the church! Registered Senior Member

it's "nature" being a noun, thereby being a thing. as is an entity. it is something in and of itself.

and you know phlog, we all live physics everyday. experience does provide the best understanding imo.

11. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

You are using some shadowy unknown force to justify your own perceived powerlessness. It's self-oppression. This is the kind of thing that will dissolve when people start to realize utopia in within their reach.

12. phlogistician Banned Banned

No Lori. You are conflating disparate things into some Chimera.

Nature is not an entity in itself. There are no laws of nature, physics, or for the Universe itself.

Stuff just does what it does, and we watch it, and record it's nature. You have got your cart before your horse, simply.

13. Oldboy Registered Member

Not really dude, I've seen them.
    The evil of humanity (Devilish actions) is a chain reaction that keeps spreading. You can stop it and people have set to accomplish but you would go against the men in the curtains and their main plans of what they have for this world.

Everywhere I go, everywhere I look, I see Yin:Yang facing me.
    First shall be the last, last shall be the first.
    When you're doing good, people frown. When you're doing bad, people smile.
    The more pain a person experiences, the more power on the person.
    The more good a person experiences, the weaker they are.
    Whenever there's a positive, there's a negative.
    Whenever there's a negative, there's a positive.
    People say going to jail for 5 years is bad.
    But what about the good aspects? The time to think, the time to read, etc, etc, etc. Ya know?

14. takethewarhome midnatt klarhet Registered Senior Member

Utopia doesn't exist, however if it did it would be [to me] a state of peace in a personal world of my own design and fine-tuned to my own individual palette.

15. glaucon tending tangentially Registered Senior Member

That pretty much contradicts the entire definition of Utopia.
    For one, it's not supposed to exist; it is a goal, a paradigm.
    For two, a Utopia is to provide a peaceful environment amenable to all individuals...

16. takethewarhome midnatt klarhet Registered Senior Member

For one, it's an opinion and no one is correct or incorrect.
    Also, individuals are NOT capable of living in any sort of prolonged and comprehensive harmony. To think or hope for such ideas seems delusional and naive.

If humans could live this way, we would have made many more advances in this area by now, wouldn't you think?

17. glaucon tending tangentially Registered Senior Member

Incorrect.
    The concept of Utopia is clearly defined.
    Seek a dictionary if you need assistance.

Well then, if you're prepared to judge the situation as such, and you've already made your mind up, then you clearly have little to say on the topic ...

Personally, no, I wouldn't think this would be the case at all.
    We're still, collectively, at a state where we cannot even view ourselves as one coherent group. And so, arbitrary divisions like 'state' and 'culture' and 'creed', etc., have interfered with the potential to move towards something even remotely approaching a Utopian ideal...

My initial critique of your post wasn't meant to deride your opinion, merely to point out that, as you wrote it, it misrepresents, and misunderstands, the very concept at question here...

18. takethewarhome midnatt klarhet Registered Senior Member

The concept of Utopia is clearly bullshit.

Yeah, I have made my mind up and you are correct [hands cookie] Glaucon, I do have little to say about a topic that does not exist nor ever will.

You see, I think you're blinded by your own grandoise delusions of a perfect world and peaceful robe-wearing people to study and commune as one. I think that your zeal in quickly becoming hostile and accusatory furthers my argument that people CANNOT and will never live in such a world. If you're getting hostile about words and opinions, how will you ever do your part for Utopia-land?

19. takethewarhome midnatt klarhet Registered Senior Member

Oh God, we have another diploma-pusher. [Gags]. So not cool.

20. Lori_7 Go to church? I am the church! Registered Senior Member

If nature isn't an entity then neither are you. You gotta rewrite the dictionary to disagree with me? Laws aren't laws, nature isn't a noun anymore. Who knew?!

21. Dywyddyr Penguinaciously duckalicious. Valued Senior Member

It isn't, he is.

Are you going to actually look at a dictionary so as not to make a fool of yourself?
    http://www.thefreedictionary.com/entity

Nature is a system, process or environment not an entity.

22. Lori_7 Go to church? I am the church! Registered Senior Member

If taken as a whole, nature is an entity, and if taken in regards to a particular thing (its nature) is an entity (governed by laws).

23. Dywyddyr Penguinaciously duckalicious. Valued Senior Member

Wrong because it's not discrete unit - it's a system. You can't extract the "whole of nature" from anything and say "here is nature" the way you can with an individual human.

Still wrong.