In the name of Irony

Discussion in 'Politics' started by SpyMoose, Dec 9, 2006.

1. SpyMoose Secret double agent deer Registered Senior Member

After Sept 11 many people were voicing the sentiment that Irony is dead. I'm not entirely sure what those people were talking about. Even a leftist pinhead like me didn't see any Irony or anti-irony in the terrorist attacks on Sept 11 01. I suppose they were referring to the idea of commercial airliners being used as weapons against such a prominent center of commerce was in some way an Irony killer. Even now I find it difficult to analyze that event on any sort of humorous level, so I just can't stand by an assertion of what impact it may have had on humor.

There are many points in the ensuing war on terror which may have been the rebirth of the irony that was apparently slain in those attacks. In fact entire books have been compiled on such instances, but I only have one morsel to proffer up at the moment. Will you please join me, liberal and conservative alike, in two minutes mocking laughter for the Weekly Standard of April 23 03, which itself thought it was committing an act of deliciously snarky Irony. This article contains a sort of meta irony that would be trancendant if it wasn't tragic. Yes, we radical leftists knew from the beginning that the Iraq war was a misadventure, thank you for reminding us oh conservative pundits.

(I use the term "radical leftist" in an ironic fashion, as I believe that anyone who followed the news before the war would have realized that there was no plan for what would happen in the aftermath of invasion, and little chance that WMDs would ever be found even had they existed)

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Nickelodeon Banned Banned

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Zephyr Humans are ONE Registered Senior Member

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Mr. G reality.sys Valued Senior Member

Irony isn't dead.

Sciforums still exists.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

8. Oxygen One Hissy Kitty Registered Senior Member

After Sept 11 many people were hiding under their beds like scared rabbits worried that Grbinder down at the Quickie Mart was suddenly going to whip out an AK47 and shoot the hell out of the neighborhood, so you may take it for what it's worth.