Incomplete reply won't go away

Discussion in 'Site Feedback' started by Jennifer Murphy, Aug 19, 2014.

1. Jennifer Murphy Registered Senior Member

Without closing this window, I opened up a second window and logged in (already being logged in here). The Jason Reply appeared. I hit F5. The screen blinked, what looked like the same text appeared briefly in a slightly different box, then the original screen reappeared.

I then logged off in both windows and close Firefox. I opened a new browser window and logged in. The Jason Reply appeared. I repeated the steps above with the same result.

2. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Jennifer Murphy Registered Senior Member

No, no cancel button.

I assume I am already in Advanced Mode, that button is not there either.

4. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Enmos Valued Senior Member

No, I mean go to your thread, to RJBeery's post and press "Reply With Quote".
    After you've done this, there is a button (bottom right) "Go Advanced." Do not press it.
    Type something in the reply and wait until it says "Auto-Saved" (highlighted in yellow) in the lower right corner of the reply.
    Then log off, log back in, go again to the thread and post and press "Reply With Quote" again.
    There should now be a white button in the bottom left of the reply that says "Restore Auto-Saved Content."
    Press it. Then press "Cancel."
    Log off, log back in to see if it helped. If it did not try F5 again. If it still didn't help I give up..

6. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Jennifer Murphy Registered Senior Member

When I log in and the Jason Reply appears, the Restore Auto-Saved Content button is visible. I clicked it. No Cancel button.

I logged off. Closed the browser. Open a new browser window. Cleared the Sciforums cookies (5 of them). Logged in. Jason Reply appeared. Found the RJBeery post. Clicked Reply with Quote. Clicked the Restore Auto-Saved Content button. No Cancel button.

I tried hopping on one foot, turning left three times, and spitting. Still no joy. Should I have turned right?

8. Enmos Valued Senior Member

lol But did you type something and wait for Auto-Save?
    To be honest I'm just making shit up that seems reasonable to try. If it doesn't work I have no clue what to do next.

9. Jennifer Murphy Registered Senior Member

Yes, I typed a few new lines and they did get restored when I clicked Restore.

It was worth a try. But I think I might have sprained my ankle when I was hopping around and I almost fell down the stairs.

This has been fun, but I have real work to do. I'll wait to see what Trippy says.

10. Dr_Toad It's green! Valued Senior Member

Widdershins didn't work? Oh, lord! You're doomed!

Seriously, though, try reloading the page after a <Ctrl-F5> moment. It sounds more like the browser cache than a cookie problem.

11. Stryder Keeper of "good" ideas. Valued Senior Member

This is a good reason to never cache any website information other than what you need for your session:

In Firefox this would be Tools > Options >Privacy Tab:

Setting History: Firefox will: to "Never remember history"

This will mean that it won't store passwords, cookies etc.

... However this would only work for one browser, since this is effecting both Firefox and IE it means it's something else. (Likely a transparent proxy node playing up)

A test I would suggest is the following, this will identify if it's the server or a proxy node on the network:

• find a Web proxy to log into the forum with. (use google, the first one that pops up is http://www.kproxy.com/)
    • log out of your sciforums session
    • open sciforums through the proxy and login
    • check to see if the reply is still existent
    • log out of the proxy session
    • return to using your browser normally (not using the proxy), login and change your password immediately (never trust passwords over a proxy)

12. Jennifer Murphy Registered Senior Member

Ctrl+F5 had the same effect as F5.

13. Truck Captain Stumpy The Right Honourable Reverend Truck Captain Valued Senior Member

ok... two thoughts to try
    1- delete all the cookies and TEMP FILES in the computer... then reboot and login... see if this helps

if that doesn't help...

2- Go to the windows restore options and restore your computer to a date that is BEFORE the date that you tried to reply to the quote and it locked itself into your login screen...

see if THAT helps.

When at a last resort, sometimes that windows "restore" function can be helpful... just make sure you didn't upload any software during that time period (or check to see what programs will be affected)...

PEACE

Last edited: Aug 20, 2014