Incredible Video of Meteor streaking across West Australian Skys:

Discussion in 'Astronomy, Exobiology, & Cosmology' started by paddoboy, Jun 16, 2020.

1. paddoboy Valued Senior Member

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-06-15/green-glowing-space-object-filmed-over-pilbara/12355358

Fireball that lit up Pilbara sky 'something special', but scientists not exactly sure what:

Scientists say the "jury is still out" about a mysterious green glow that travelled across the sky in the remote West Australian outback early this morning.

Night workers on remote sites from Cape Lambert to Hope Downs in the Pilbara saw the bright light just before 1:00am, and many captured it on video.

There were reports of sightings as far away as the Northern Territory and South Australia, according to Glen Nagle from the CSIRO-NASA tracking station in Canberra.

"It was really a spectacular observation," he said.

Speculation among astronomy enthusiasts was fevered, with some suggesting it could have been the remains of a rocket launched recently.
    But Renae Sayers, from Curtin University's Space, Science and Technology Centre, said it was most likely a natural object.

"It's absolutely stunning," she said.

"It's a ball of green … what you are seeling is a giant flash of light, it's almost like a ball with this gorgeous long tail.

more at link..............

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. paddoboy Valued Senior Member

Note: This video is probably one of the clearest, brightest and most stunning record of a meteor......a good 30 seconds long....

Seattle likes this.
  4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. paddoboy Valued Senior Member

Skys in title heading should be Skies...

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Michael 345 New year. PRESENT is 72 years oldl Valued Senior Member

I thought green was from copper when I Googled

do copper meteorites burn green

If the meteor (shooting star) is large enough to survive the fall through the atmosphere, it cools and doesn't emit any visible light at all. ... A green glow, clearly visible in the trail of this shooting star, indicates the presence of burning copper.Jan 6, 2012

reply seemed to support that. But then Google

green meteor meaning

and get

Meteors are green for a completely different mechanism. As a meteor enters Earth's atmosphere, it is heated to the point where its outer layer is vaporized. The metals in the meteor glow with particular colors. Green comes from nickel. The most common metallic meteors are iron-nickel, so green is a common color.Jan 24, 2017

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

8. paddoboy Valued Senior Member

Yeah Mick, that was also my first querie, and I did the same to find the reason...makes sense.

9. Michael 345 New year. PRESENT is 72 years oldl Valued Senior Member

Not that I would wish harm to any aliens but I am disappointed the green colouration was not because of Little Green Aliens

paddoboy likes this.
  10. paddoboy Valued Senior Member

I'm relieved that MR or river never got the report