Indian Mythology?? Why not History!

Discussion in 'Eastern Philosophy' started by Guru, Nov 22, 2004.

1. Guru Registered Senior Member

I keep on reading about Indian Mythology ..why is that a stupid red sea parting is termed as Biblical fact and Indian Bridge joining Indian subcontinent with Sri Lanka which can be seen from the satellite considered as Indian Myth.

Why is a religion like Hinduism ...considered a baseless and is not promoted which is I believe the only "religion" which has one of the medical books as their holy books (Ayurved). There was just one Jesus who walked on water but he is promoted and we have tons of believable miracles which are side stepped by the western community.

I do not mean to disrespect any religion but I am kind of pissed off at basic promotion of few stories which is wrapped up into a religion (Bible, Koran ...etc) while Hinduism teaches medicine, philosophy, science remains a "mythological based religion"

Hinduism does not believe in forcefully converting people or actively making them believe or condemning them to fiery hell ..I think that is the only flaw I see why the marketing department feel beaten up by bible thumping and angry Koran screamers...

I think Hinduism just needs a new marketing wave to counter the forces of baseless religions like xianity and islam...

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Rick Valued Senior Member

Zeal is ellusive from Hinduism,i agree.

But then Zealots in Hindu Society can only lead in destruction of Society,Harsh and Staunch Followers only lead to destruction of society,whereas Hinduism only preaches a way of life,a way of society in peace.Look,what happened to Islam...All muslims are not alike,they are all not jehadis or terrorists! but they are looked upon as one,because ,many of them support this jehad!... Hindus dont.Hindu essence lies in peace,those who dont follow it are simply not true hindus...

--Zion--

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. UltiTruth In pursuit... Registered Senior Member

Probably no marketing is required. Logical thought automatically leads to the most reasonable of religions!!

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

I don't believe Hinduism is "based on mythology". It contains mythology, like many religions, but also many essential truths hidden within the stories. I don't think it would be good for any religion to compete in the marketing war that certain forms of Christianity and Islam promote. The meak will inherit the Earth, remember? What do you care how many people follow your religion? ...it's for you, not them.

8. Rick Valued Senior Member

E--X--A--C--T--L--Y.

9. duendy Registered Senior Member

errrrrrm, guru, Hinduism has a caste system doesn't it?

10. Rajagopals Registered Senior Member

I have read that Indu was a term used to refer ‘people who lived by the river Indu’ (I read Indu not Sindhu) and the term was later changed to Hindu and Hindusthan based on Hindi dialect(s).

Got the following paragraph from http://www.indiana.edu/~isp/cd_rom/mod_09/mod_09_x.htm

The Indus Valley Civilization

Be that as it may, the Indus Valley civilization, sometimes called the Harappan Civilization (after the name of one of its principal cities), flourished from the third through the first half of the second millenium B.C.E. in the region of the Indus valley and in the areas known as the Punjab and Gujarat. It should perhaps be noted here that that the name "Indus" is the origin of the word "Hindu." The original Indian name of the river is Sindhu. The ancient Iranians had difficulty in pronouncing an initial sibilant "s" and changed it to an aspirate sound "h", hence, "H-indu" instead of "S-indhu." The Greeks referred to the river as the "Indos," and the later Arabs referred to it as "al-Hind." Eventually the name came to be applied to the people of the subcontinent, namely, the "Hindi," the "Hindus" and the "Indians." In ancient times Indians themselves referred to their country as Bharata-varsha (the "land of the sons of Bharata," a legendary ruler), Jambudvipa (the "continent of Jambu" or of the rose-apple tree), Aryavartta (the "abode of the noble or excellent ones") and Brahmavartta (the "abode of the brahmanical people").

11. duendy Registered Senior Member

Quite. And it has a CASTE system hasn't it?!

12. Lemming3k Insanity Gone Mad Registered Senior Member

Guru it depends on the person as to whether or not it is seen as baseless, obviously people are inclined to believe their own religion over someone elses regardless of what it may say, perhaps because hinduism isnt promoted so intensly that it hasnt spead so well and is now considered not to be true unlike larger religions. Most religions are mythical in some way however i do not know much about hinduism, i would guess it has its mythical parts same as christianity and islam, and it may not be considered history unless it has several sources to back it up, the red sea parting isnt historical fact until more sources of evidence come to light.

13. UltiTruth In pursuit... Registered Senior Member

Sure it has. But the deficiencies in the system are often blown out of proportion!!!

What started as a sensible division of labour has gone to the extremes in some pockets- nevertheless it is limited and not the general rule!

14. Starthane Xyzth returns occasionally... Valued Senior Member

Guru's original point is valid IMHO, whatever one's opinion of the Hindu way of life: the myhology and stories underlying Hinduism should be better known in the West, just as the Christian Bible was force-fed into Indian cultural consciousness.

I myself know little about Hindu myths and legends, beyond the names of few deities. Perhaps it's time to remedy that.

15. Rick Valued Senior Member

People mistook caste system badly!...even in India.

Indian Society in Olden days was divided on the basis of the profession like todays world,but people followed it illogically.Aaccordingly,every role was defined in that world,but it was followed rather genetically,which was rubbish.Vedas dont establish that Caste should be inherited,rather deeds and Karma are the only things that defined the society.Therefore the division was based on reality and not on the basis of discrimination of an sort.
    But sadly,people in India followed this rule by stupid hipocracy which was wastage of time and nothing else.

16. Starthane Xyzth returns occasionally... Valued Senior Member

So the original idea, as defined in the Veddas, was reasonable enough - but the way society applied it was not?

Sounds much like Christianity's message of peace and love for all men, used as an excuse for holy wars and inquisitions...

BTW Zion, what does "Om Ganeshaya Namah" mean?

17. sargentlard Save the whales motherfucker Valued Senior Member

A small prayer.

Further reading

18. Rick Valued Senior Member

Ganesh is lord of all beginnings,he is son of Parvati and Shiva(one of the Hindu Trinity Gods,also known as GOD of destruction). Om preceedes every Lord therefore OM comes even before Lord of all Beginnings called Ganesha,Namah is a sanskrit word which is synonymous with Namaskar or paying respect with hands joined together in front of chest,do you get it?...

19. Rick Valued Senior Member

20. Starthane Xyzth returns occasionally... Valued Senior Member

Excellent link Zion! I will peruse those pages with interest.

21. honhaar Registered Member

Yes.. I agree that Epics get converted into history unless they are proven so by archelogists, geologists, and so on...the problem with the hinduism is that it is soooo (1,750,000 years) old that it cannot be appreciated as a history so easily.

This is for you to know something about the history...

http://www.stevequayle.com/Giants/Ancient.Civ_Technol/021008.1750000yr.bridge.html

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

22. Starthane Xyzth returns occasionally... Valued Senior Member

WTF?! Our very species isn't that old! The highest primate on Earth so long ago (near the beginning of the Pleistocene Epoch) would probably have been homo erectus.

Even if those early humanoids had the intellectual capacity to develop language and religion as we know them, the idea that any hint or trace of cultural continuity could persist over such a span of time is absurd. Especially since, for well over 99% of the period specified, there was no known system of writing - only oral traditions.

Yes, I did read the link about the Ramayana bridge between India & Sri Lanka... it's either an out-&-out hoax, or a completely unfounded assumption to suggest that it was artificial.

23. one_raven God is a Chinese Whisper Valued Senior Member

You don't even acknowledge that it is possible?