Indian Mythology?? Why not History!

Discussion in 'Eastern Philosophy' started by Guru, Nov 22, 2004.

1. Starthane Xyzth returns occasionally... Valued Senior Member

Possible, perhaps - but not exactly likely. Unless you are willing to suggest that extraterrestrials built it, just like the Pyramids and the Nazca Lines(!)

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. one_raven God is a Chinese Whisper Valued Senior Member

Bah! The Nazca lines were irrigation ducts. It's obvious.

I have to admit that I am really curious about "Adam's Bridge" (I have not yet found out where that name comes from, but would certainly like to know that).
    The story of Ramayana is a wonderful one (have you read it?) and it would be nice to know that the "bridge" can actaully be dated to be that old, but I am not holding out much hope.
    I would very much like to see how exactly they dated it and if any independent (i.e. non-Hindu) experts were involved.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. duendy Registered Senior Member

I can never understand, at forums such as these, why it is a poster will post an assertions and question , and then disappear off the face of the earth

'guru' begann going on how great Hinduism is in relation to all other religions, and how it created science, etfc etc.
    i ask..."so, what about the caste system then?"

ZILTCH.....he done a runner

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. one_raven God is a Chinese Whisper Valued Senior Member

duendy,
    zion replied to it...

8. duendy Registered Senior Member

and what do you make of his explanation?

9. Lemming3k Insanity Gone Mad Registered Senior Member

I'd be very interested in studying the supposed bridge, i might look into seeing if a study team is going to head out there, since i find the general theme that the evidence is in the picture rather misleading, im more inclined to believe its a natural causeway than a bridge but that would require some study, also logically speaking wouldnt a bridge be built at the shortest point? This doesnt seem to be the case here.

10. duendy Registered Senior Member

zion, you suggest that caste decided by 'karmic' doctrine is where its at?

11. honhaar Registered Member

intelligent thought..! Hope you might believe that world is coming to an end as many religions say..do you!? There are chances that the new "ADAM' of the new earth might not want to believe that NASA did exist when someone says him so...

hope u got what i mean...thanks.

12. Starthane Xyzth returns occasionally... Valued Senior Member

Sure, the World will end... but not in any historically meaningful timeframe, I hope! We should be able to avoid the sudden collapse of civilisation if we're careful.

As for post-holocaust humans not believing in NASA... good point. But they might equally well accept The Silmarillion (or even the Chronicles of Narnia)as their bible, and base their whole culture around it - not willing to believe that it was fiction...

13. Awake Just BE! Registered Senior Member

Here's a brain bender.....maybe the people of the future will some how find the rants and ravings of sciforums and think that these are their sacred writings. Re-write the conversations and translate them a few times just for good measure. Then make everyone believe them or they will die a horrible death and suffer forever because they don't believe the words we write!

14. honhaar Registered Member

Awake...! That was a great and a wild thought. Yet too creative!!!
    On the whole...,,yes, I liked it.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

15. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

Great idea! Sounds like one Philip Dick story about the future where the science fiction writers of the 20th century were seen as prophets (precognitive), and they believed that was also commonly known in their time. So, they have some kind of space emergency, and go back in time (in rediculous costumes they think are realistic) to a science fiction convention to abduct a writer, and make him type up some calculations for them. They have to get a typewriter from a museum, and create coffee beans specially for him.

16. Starthane Xyzth returns occasionally... Valued Senior Member

Or there was a Dr. Who story in which the humans of the distant future revered 3 sacred texts, all that had survived of present-day literature: one of them was Hans Christian Andersen's The Water Babies, another was entitled Lifestyles of the Canadian Goose..!

Though a purely random sample of modern culture would be just likely to remain after some kind of apocalypse, certain people would obviously make an effort to preserve what they considered most important. More sober and serious was the future society of John Wyndham's The Chrysalids, in which only the Bible was left.

17. VitalOne Banned Banned

Why is it so unbelievable that things like the Pyramids and Nazca lines were built by humans? Why is it engraved in everyone's mind that ancient people we're stupid and primitive? I'm sure the ancients we're just as smart as we are, however not as knowledgable.

18. Starthane Xyzth returns occasionally... Valued Senior Member

I was being sarcastic, my friend!! Of course the ancients were every bit as clever as we, and quite capable of completing structures like the Pyramids given enough time and manpower.

What I meant was, this supposed causeway between India @ Sri Lanka , if indeed nearly 2 million years old, couldn't have been artificial - unless we invoke aliens. I believe it was a natural formation, just as I believe humans constructed those ancient wonders without outside help.

19. Ozymandias Unregistered User Registered Senior Member

It's the sea of reeds, which is basically a big river. Do you know how large the red sea is? Much too large to part and cross on foot, if you're being chased by people on horseback.

20. Starthane Xyzth returns occasionally... Valued Senior Member

Unless you really CAN call upon divine power to drive back the water and create a dry corridor across the seabed...

21. jaihind Registered Member

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

22. jaihind Registered Member

You are correct, I aggree with you and admire your courage to this in public.
    I thinking is that there is no such thing as "Hindu Relegion" instead a "Hindu philosophy. I belive when a terrorist organigation becomes big and successful, becomes a religion.
    Thanks,
    Jaihind
    Note: Please reply to Bhargavaji@yahoo.com

23. Starthane Xyzth returns occasionally... Valued Senior Member

Then all religions began with criminality and subversion? I know how Christianity and Islam started out - your definition might work there - but what of Judaism? That was just a group of nomads departing ancient Babylon and taking one of many current creation mythologies with them. I didn't know Abraham was ever considered a terrorist, even if perhaps Jesus was. Or Budda... was he (or they, if there were more than one) outlawed by the Harrapans?