Industrial Society Destroys Mind and Environment

Discussion in 'General Philosophy' started by sushil yadav, Jul 20, 2005.

1. Carcano Valued Senior Member

What is demanded is a list of technologies you accept for a sustainable humanity.

It is also demanded that YOU have aligned your OWN lifestyle accordingly.

You say you dont want people going back to the stone age...but you dont think the status quo will work either.

So, you must make a list of what technologies occupy a sustainable middle ground.

Do you get it yet?

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Carcano Valued Senior Member

It sounds like you just want to go to heaven and stay there.

In that case, what does it matter what happens to planet earth?

A similar view would be that of the materialists...who believe their personal death is the end of the story.

And so again, what does it matter what happens to the earth?

The middle path is the one chosen by whose who believe in rebirth or reincarnation.

To them, death is not the end, but its not a permanent vacation either!

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Enmos Valued Senior Member

It matters a lot to the ones that are not dead.

Last edited: Sep 16, 2009
  6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Lori_7 Go to church? I am the church! Registered Senior Member

Seems that the health of the earth is contingent upon the demise of the beings who are destroying it. The earth will recover like she always does.

I'm looking forward to being reborn without the flaws that make us suffer. "thy kingdom come. Thy will be done on earth as it is in heaven."

8. Enmos Valued Senior Member

Seems to me this just means that you will become part of the whole when you die. Dust to dust..

9. swarm Registered Senior Member

To use your metaphors. The only complete freedom lies in hell.

10. swarm Registered Senior Member

It is not flaws that make you suffer.

001:027 So God created man in his own image, in the image of God
    created he him; male and female created he them.
    001:028 And God blessed them...
    001:031 And God saw every thing that he had made, and, behold, it was
    very good.

For you to be flawed god has to be a suck ass craftsman who doesn't know "very good" from a pile of shit.

Or everything you believe in could just be wrong...

11. Enmos Valued Senior Member

Lori switches back and forth between it being flaws that make you suffer and it being Gods will that makes you suffer.

12. Lori_7 Go to church? I am the church! Registered Senior Member

i mean communion and perfection. what a horrible idea right?

13. Lori_7 Go to church? I am the church! Registered Senior Member

i never said that. complete freedom lies in the abolition of sin.

14. Lori_7 Go to church? I am the church! Registered Senior Member

oh yeah? then what does? what you're proposing is a contradiction of law.

and what you're quoting is before the fall of man. not that the fall doesn't serve a perfect purpose.

15. Lori_7 Go to church? I am the church! Registered Senior Member

gods? now you know damn well i never said that. :bugeye:

the two things aren't mutually exclusive enmos. it's all part of the plan.

16. Lori_7 Go to church? I am the church! Registered Senior Member

you guys ever see the movie "the happening"? i liked the premise. i'm sure you did too enmos, right?

17. swarm Registered Senior Member

No, the abolition of sin decreases freedom. You complain because you want even less freedom than you have now.

Complete and absolute freedom lies only in hell because it is evil. It comes only at the expense of everyone else.

Just as omniscience and omnipotence are inherently evil for the same reason.

God is an inherantly evil concept.

18. swarm Registered Senior Member

Choosing the causes of suffering and not knowing how to stop or choose better, in short: ignorance, anger/fear, clinging/greed.

The path forward is choosing to be moral and compassionate, learning wisdom and insight and disciplining the mind so you can focus it and pay attention.

You have no flaws. You are working as humans work.

19. Lori_7 Go to church? I am the church! Registered Senior Member

freedom is evil?????????????????????????????????????

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

you have no understanding of the kind of freedom i'm talking about. freedom for EVERYONE. there is no "at the expense of another", because without sin there would be no cost for freedom. i'm talking about communion. all at one with god and with each other and with the universe. truth creates freedom.

20. Lori_7 Go to church? I am the church! Registered Senior Member

if we didn't have flaws we wouldn't be suffering. how naive and/or egotistical to think there is some moral or intellectual solution. what a pipe dream.

wrath and greed are sin, and fear is the opposite of faith. ignorance the opposite of knowledge and lies the opposite of truth. this world and society are so far gone, we wouldn't know the truth if the lies were destroying us.

and what do you know? they are!

21. swarm Registered Senior Member

Complete freedom is. Complete freedom comes only at the expense of others.

To be moral, freedom must be balanced between individuals. It is a loss of your freedom not to murder who every you choose.

You do not consider the full consequences of your desires.

is inherently incomplete freedom.

There are always costs. In this case they are freedoms which moral people are willing to forgo, but being willing doesn't mean that nothing is given up or that there is universal agreement as to where the lines need to be drawn.

Nice slogans, but waiting for "god" to fix things isn't how things actual get resolved. Even if there is a god, she obviously is expecting us to figure out as much as we can up front.

Last edited: Sep 21, 2009
  22. swarm Registered Senior Member

We only have flaws if your god is a poor craftsman.

I've heard it posited that the only true sin is dispair.

23. sushil yadav Registered Senior Member

Every year sharks kill four people around the world.

Every year man kills 40 million sharks.

And then man says sharks are dangerous.

Human species is the most dangerous species on earth. It has decimated millions of other species - it has destroyed all ecosystems - air, water and land. Human species is the only species that is a threat to all life on earth - all ecosystems on earth.

Let us take a look at the society that claims it is going to save the environment/ ecosystems.

Almost half of the people living in cities have become fat. Modern society has become incapable of reducing the amount of food it is eating - it has started blaming genes for obesity. People who cannot even control their own weight are talking about solving environmental crisis.

A large percentage of world population is surviving on alcohol, cigarettes, prescription drugs, illegal drugs, sleeping pills, coffee and other mind altering substances. Entire countries have become prozac nations. People whose brains have been clouded by synthetic chemicals are talking about saving ecosystems.

sushil_yadav
    Industrial Society Destroys Mind and Environment