Infinite Time, Universal Cycles, and The Heat Death of the Universe

Discussion in 'Physics & Math' started by Sandstorm52, Sep 20, 2013.

1. Sandstorm52 Registered Member

I was recently thinking that there is no reason that time is limited, and that it should continue on forever. If that is true, than does that mean that we are just living in a really huge cycle of events? Because if time is truly infinite, than I think that every possible outcome for every possible scenario must happen until the cycle restarts. Does that also mean that after the heat death of the Universe, that there will be another big bang? Could the maximum entropy be reversed? I know that this directly contravenes the second law of thermodynamics, but wouldn't that have to happen at some point?

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. paddoboy Valued Senior Member

WMAP has shown that our Universe is topologically flat, which invokes an infinite Universe.
    But from memory that came with a 2% possible error margin. So what if taking that error margin into account, that the flatness we observed was just still part of an overall much larger curvature and that the Universe was closed.
    The heat death you mentioned would only be possible with the closed. A flat Universe would have a long cold death, with evaporation of BHs and maybe even proton decay.
    I cannot imagine with the flat scenario, any method by which things could start over again.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.