Ingested canned air

Discussion in 'Health & Fitness' started by Thoreau, Oct 22, 2012.

1. Thoreau Valued Senior Member

So a friend decided to spray dust cleaner (canned air) upside down in my bottle of water. I didn't know about it and ended up swallowing a big gulp. Am I at an risk?

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

I'm sure you're fine, it's a gas. Also, people inhale this deliberately and most of them don't die.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Neverfly Banned Banned

Yes, it contains a propellant. R2, I think.

You swallowed what amounts to water. I wouldn't worry about having drank a bit of water that had trace amounts of propellant pushed through it. Worst case scenario is that any anxiety you may feel about having done so will make you feel like you wanna hurl.
    So you're safe, but your buddy's a bit of an idiot.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Read-Only Valued Senior Member

While many of them do, there are brands that are simply compressed air. He really needs to read the label - it's as simple as that.

8. Thoreau Valued Senior Member

I found an MSDS sheet. "if ingested, drink two 8oz glasses of water. Do not induce vomiting."

Too bad I already induced vomiting. But then I drank the two glasses of water. So far I have no side effects other than bloating from the water.

9. Thoreau Valued Senior Member

Contains tetrafluoroethane.

10. Neverfly Banned Banned

I'd edited above- don't sweat it.
    Go eat a sammich.

11. Thoreau Valued Senior Member

Yes. He is. I swollowed an estimate ounce.

12. Neverfly Banned Banned

Yeah, basically- water. If there was any doubt, I'd be saying call Poison Control Center. Fact is, you're in no danger on this one. Just don't go getting funny ideas that you liked it or something...

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

13. Neverfly Banned Banned

Propellant. This is why the can feels cold after spraying air for a while, the energy needed to expand the gas has to come from somewhere, so is drawn from surrounding heat.

14. Thoreau Valued Senior Member

Thanks. I feel normal so I'm just gonna roll with it and hope I don't die lol. And no, I didn't like it one bit. It tasted disgusting. Why the hell would anyone purposely put that crap in their body? Sounds pretty stupid.

15. Buddha12 Valued Senior Member

You breathe in enormous amounts of pollutants every time you take a breath, all sorts of nasty crap like sulfuric oxide to give an example. So why worry about this when so much more is being done to your body daily?

16. Stoniphi obscurely fossiliferous Valued Senior Member

I would not take kindly to someone adulterating anything that I was going to consume. I would consider it an assault, an attempt to batter my person and would be forced to take self - defensive measures to assure that it was not repeated.

Someone once put LSD into my beer at a bar many years ago. He asked me what I would do if someone did that before I consumed the beer. I told him that I would kill the person who did that to me. He apologized, switched beers with me and took his trip on his own somewhere else.

Personally, I would cut that "friend" free, as that is not how a friend treats a friend.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

17. Asguard Kiss my dark side Valued Senior Member

You shoud NEVER induce vomiting when you have ingested a potentially toxic substance, you should call the local version of posions Infomation or 000 and get there advice

18. Thoreau Valued Senior Member

Well, I'm still alive with no ill effects. Why is inducing vomitting bad? Wouldn't you want to get as much of it out of your system as possible before it moved to your vital organs?

19. Neverfly Banned Banned

Some chemicals will react with stomach acid producing a toxin gas. Vomiting brings it up where you can breathe it in, which would do more damage to your lungs than the toxin will do to your stomach lining.

20. Thoreau Valued Senior Member

Never thought about that. Pretty nifty.

21. Asguard Kiss my dark side Valued Senior Member

Not sure if that's right but the reason we are taught is because a lot of poisions are acids and bases and burn on the way back up too causing airway burns and possibly damage to the lungs which can be fatal. I forget the reason it's bad for petrol but then I don't need to know, I just follow the Australian resuscitation council guidelines "in cases of suspected poisoning call posions Infomation for advice". They have the Infomation for how to treat every toxic substance at there fingertips

22. MacGyver1968 Fixin' Shit that Ain't Broke Valued Senior Member

Wow..MZ3...I'm sorry...but breathing that shit is an instant death sentence. You've got 2 weeks to live. I would suggest in the mean time you send me all of your valuables to 123 Mac Lane, Dallas, Texas 75214.

23. Syzygys As a mother, I am telling you Valued Senior Member

That is incorrect. The 100 years survival rate of inhaling canned air is zero. So basicly all of them die....