Inquiry: Should Moderators Just Shut the Hell Up?

Discussion in 'SF Open Government' started by Tiassa, Oct 6, 2011.

1. Gustav Banned Banned

good
    sci thanks you for your continued service

oh
    any future resignations will be met with an outright refusal and for good measure.. a bitchslap

welcome back

2. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. wlminex Banned Banned

MOD: If this post infringes on ANY Scifrum rules, please re-direct to the proper subforum thread, or simply delete it. Thanks, wlminex

Sciforum members: I recommend that you have a 'look-see' at the new thread (not created by me- not self-promoting) entitled: wlminex wonders about the new forum

4. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Trippy ALEA IACTA EST Staff Member

Don't look at me... 0

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

6. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Anti-Flag Pun intended Registered Senior Member

I guess that's a matter of perception, if a mod even gets a dressing down (which I suspect isn't as frequent as it should be), it is essentially a verbal warning, behind closed doors. How many does it take to remove a mod and are they recorded? Are they even happening enough and are all mods aware of it?
    To you it seems harsher, to us it seems like mods are getting away with things that others are banned for, because a mod will just get a verbal warning and told not to do it again. :/

We may have to agree to disagree then, but I have no doubt mods are reported for the same offences as posters - and posters will receive infractions and bans, yet the mods remain. Something's getting lost in the mail, or there's a buddy system.

I think everyone here crosses the line sometimes, lord knows nobody here is perfect, except me.
    But there are many people who feel something strange is going on, and we see many threads(promptly closed) on the subject. I'm sure some are just claptrap, and I'm sure many people won't say a word against the mods because they can't be bothered, they've tried before, they get warned for creating such threads, give up posting, or some other reasons - but some still speak out, and I've been here a long time and am far too stubborn and don't like bullies.

Sure. And if it's had a vote there's not much I can say.
    But sadly that leads to situations where mods demand proof of our claims against them - knowing we have no way of keeping track (because of course we don't have time to search a million threads) of all the posts. So the merry-go-round continues and little changes.
    It's a class system with the powerless fighting the empowered, with only one result.

Oh I assure you I do now. I still don't think it'll make a difference in the long run.
    It's like a high profile judge/lawyer on trial; they know the law and the potential loopholes of ambiguity better than anyone, and even when you've got them bang to rights, they still have friends in high places to help them out.