insects and military technology

Discussion in 'Intelligence & Machines' started by Rita, Mar 12, 2013.

1. Rita Registered Member

I am taking a chance that a thread about cyborg beetles doesn't already exist. The idea goes with drone technology. Sometimes something very small is more useful than something the size of a plane, but a problem with building a plane the size of an insect is the power supply must be too small to make such a machine practical. A large power supply can't be lifted. A very small power supply doesn't last long enough. However, bugs don't require a power supply, and science is looking into how bugs can made more useful.

http://www.technologyreview.com/news/411814/the-armys-remote-controlled-beetle/

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Joaquin Sleuth Registered Senior Member

I think the hardware power would have it's limitations with such a small cyborg. The insect could use an external power supply. Or it could adopt 4D Printing technology. It could self-assemble or grow new parts using heat, light, sound,...etc... if the technology was combined successfully.

Another option is they could be charged and used in a designated area. I don't think it would be possible right now for a cyborg beetle to travel extremely far distances given the technology.

Unless they could use the power of the sun.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. krash661 [MK6] transitioning scifi to reality Valued Senior Member

solar power might work for this..

all in all.

interesting topic.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Rita Registered Member

The whole point of using a beetle is it powers itself. Otherwise it would be easier to just make teeny tiny drones.

8. Changwalz Registered Member

In this technology, liked the 4d printing technology, but there are some advantages and disadvantages in this technology.

9. Mathers2013 Banned Banned

I am wondering of SOLAR POWER would produce enough power. Calculators run on such things!

10. Gage Registered Senior Member

I wondered about this myself awhile ago. It would seem like, from a military standpoint, smaller robots would have a significant advantage over bigger robots, not only energy wise but tactics as well. No?

11. andy1033 Truth Seeker Valued Senior Member

If they can tap into a persons senses remotely they surely can do it for any animal too.

You did know that they can use all your senses remotely didn't you. They can look through your eyes and hear through your ears remotely if they target you.

So saying that they are using animals, must be old hat now. They can literally use any of you they want.

Perfect spy device.

The nsa must have fun with this, and seeing through peoples eyes, or hearing through there ears. The real top level stuff does not need any animal, they can literally use any of you. Thats why there is no secrets anymore.