Inspired by a vote for RHPS

Discussion in 'SciFi & Fantasy' started by Oxygen, Oct 11, 2000.

1. Oxygen One Hissy Kitty Registered Senior Member

In the thread about best sci-fi movie opinions, the Rocky Horror Picture Show was mentioned. That gave me a little idea. If you have seen it (or not, and in the theater or the safety of your own home), what did you think? How has it influenced you?

I was 7 when I first heard of it. I saw these fleeting scenes on TV of the Transylvanians doing the Timewarp. I was fascinated by the bright colors and obvious party scene. I'll never forget the glitter. The other part that stuck with me was the repetitious "Don't dream it, be it." I used to sing myself to sleep with that bit. It was a wonderful lullaby.

I didn't see the whole movie myself until I got a used videotape of it. (I was too chicken to go into a theater.) The bright colors, the hedonistic individualism, the glitter, and "the dream" all spelled out the biggest influence on my life (I am a self-described "free thinker" and a notorious non-conformist) and explained why I threw myself headlong into the New Wave fashion in the 80s.

How about you? Did you just dream it or did you be it?

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Tiassa Let us not launch the boat ... Valued Senior Member

Mostly dreamed it. My folks weren't sinister in terms of their cultural restrictions, but it seemed Da Rock never really came up. By the time it did I was eighteen or nineteen, and available on video.

Don't get me wrong, I find it astoundingly funny. I consider it one of the best films ever made simply because its quality is an accident of its birth. That and I have a closet thing for Broadway-esque music. Sure, I'm a fan of JC Superstar, Cats, Phantom ... okay, sure I'm a Webber fan (though Ken Hill's Phantom of the Opera was brilliant in its own right; it simply lacked elephants.) But listen to my childhood music and there's suddenly a very, uh, strange sort of bent.

I listened to Styx a lot. Paradise Theater and Kilroy was Here... what more do you need for Broadway comparisons? But I liked Tommy, and I'm a huge fan of all incarnations of The Wall. I listened to King Diamond, a lot. His albums pretty much were arranged as progressive stories. (Them and Conspiracy was a two-part effort. He needed a sequel.) And then there was Savatage. With album titles like Gutter Ballet (which, strangely, I've never owned) and Streets: A Rock Opera (one of my favorite albums ever) ... well.

"Da Rock" hit me, literally, like a truck.

But the Rocky Horror Show and its accompanient movie are some of the finest musical comedy in the history of recorded entertainment. I keep thinking of Homer Simpson, watching Troy McClure in "Planet of the Apes: the Musical" (I hate every ape I see, from chimpan-ay to chimpan-zee): I love the legitimate theatre.

Nobody ever got me into lingerie (for that ...), but I'm told I should have done Tim Curry back when I had a horrible, tightly curled mullet. (Please, let us never again speak of Tiassa's hair in high school.)

I mean, why else can I listen to Meatloaf? (Excuse me, Mr. Aday ....)

Even though it's irrelevant, I've always wondered if the Jim Steinman who produced Meatloaf is the same guy who worked with the Sisters of Mercy. (See what happens? Remember, kids, just say ... uh, what's my line?)

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

I should probably go now.

Ah ... I've owned three different soundtracks over the years; cinema, New York Broadway, and original London cast. There is no definitive soundtrack for Rocky Horror. Even the audience participation albums are good. But check out how strong Janet's voice is in New York, if you ever get the chance. And if you've never heard "Once in a While", well, then you haven't heard every song in the Rocky Horror legacy, eh? (At least, I'm damn sure it's not on the cinema soundtrack.)

And I generally raise a glass to Richard O'Brien at this point. Time warp, my ass. Who said debauchery is bad?

thanx,
    Tiassa

------------------
    Whether God exists or does not exist, He has come to rank among the most sublime and useless truths.--Denis Diderot

[This message has been edited by tiassa (edited October 12, 2000).]

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Oxygen One Hissy Kitty Registered Senior Member

I own the video and somewhere I have a cassette of the New York Broadway Cast. "Once In A While" is not in the movie (where did this song fit in?), but Janet's voice is definitely stronger in this version than in any other.

My parents were somewhat puritan in their approach to popular entertainment. "Rock and Roll is the Devil's music." "Why do you want to see 'Grease'? Who wants to see John Travolta wiggle his butt around?" And my favorite nauseating memory which resurfaced while watching "Detroit Rock City"...

"DO YOU KNOW WHAT 'KISS' STANDS FOR??? KNIGHTS IN SATAN'S SERVICE!!!"

I started twitching during that scene. My father said it verbatim.

It was the memory of those fleeting glimpses of RHPS that kept me from going "Carrie" on everyone. I believed that somewhere deep inside of me was a place where I was free to be whoever I wanted to be. I wasn't expected to "act like a little lady" or to "take it like a man". (I had a very sexually confusing childhood. I'm surprised I'm not a lesbian, or at least bisexual.) I knew I could retreat to my own private castle where the party never ended.

I guess I could say that RHPS saved my sanity.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Tiassa Let us not launch the boat ... Valued Senior Member

"Janet!"
    --Dr. Scott!
    "Janet!?!
    --Brad!
    (Rocky!)

"Janet!"
    --Dr. Scott!
    "Janet!?!
    --Brad!
    (Rocky!)

"Janet!"
    --Dr. Scott!
    "Janet!?!
    --Brad!
    (Rocky!)

Though I've never seen a full-blown theatrical production, I believe Once in a While was replaced by You Better Wise Up, Janet Weiss.

My London cast CD puts Once in a While immediately between Touch-a-Touch-a-Touch-a-Touch Me and Rose Tint My World. Unfortunately, Eddie's Teddy isn't on this version.

The cast?

Narrator (Criminologist?): Jonathan Adams
    Frank-n-Furter: Tim Curry
    Riff-Raff: Richard O'Brien
    Brad Majors: Christopher Malcom
    Janet Weiss: Belinda Sinclair
    Rocky Horror: Raynor Bourton
    Magenta/Usherette (Lips): Patricia Quinn
    Columbia: Little Nell
    Eddie/Dr. Scott: Paddy O'Hagan

(Okay, I must comment that I left The New Scooby-Doo Show playing in the background, and they're singing Chickenstein to the melody of the old Scooby Theme. Runts vs. a 7-foot chicken.

Interestingly, though I don't know the Scooby Brats plot standards, Freddie keeps calling Scooby "my".)

thanx,
    Tiassa

------------------
    Whether God exists or does not exist, He has come to rank among the most sublime and useless truths.--Denis Diderot

8. Oxygen One Hissy Kitty Registered Senior Member

I used to watch Scooby Doo all the time. It was my favorite Saturday morning cartoon. Then they brought in Scrappy Doo and I stopped watching. He was truly annoying. I tried watching it again on Cartoon Network, but they threw in a friggin' laugh track. What were they thinking? I don't watch many Saturday morning-type cartoons any more, although I liked "Duck Tales" for awhile.

My favorite spoken line from RHPS:
    "I don't like a guy with a lot of muscles."
    "I didn't make him for you, did I?"

9. Tiassa Let us not launch the boat ... Valued Senior Member

Favorite spoken line would have to be Janet:

"If only we were among friends, or sane persons!"

The most underestimated line in history might also come from this film. For the simple immensity of what it proposes, I submit Frank: "Wait! I can explain!"

thanx,
    Tiassa

------------------