Intelligent Poison? (Hashish, circa 1878)

Discussion in 'World Events' started by Tiassa, Mar 18, 2001.

?

How much is too much?

1. Zero Tolerance isn't good enough!

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Only on "special occasions", like high school reunions and Phish concerts

1 vote(s)
    11.1%
  3. Wake and bake, man!

6 vote(s)
    66.7%
  4. Too much ...? What are you talking about?

2 vote(s)
    22.2%
  1. Tiassa Let us not launch the boat ... Valued Senior Member

http://www.druglibrary.org/schaffer/history/1870/richet.htm

I felt the need. One of the practical realities of living amid a War Against Drugs is that people constantly regard drugs in the sense that is most relevant: that is, matters of law and freedom. Since the passing of the Marihuana Tax Stamp Act of 1937, varying threats have been leveled against marijuana users, and, as other drugs gained popularity following WWII, against those users, as well.

Thus the interventionist '80s brought us television ads promising relief from marijuana addiction, a manipulated cocaine epidemic, and the fear of the average man to want a mere drink. But the internet age has made information such as the article I've linked available to whomever can find and read them. As the truth grows, we are seeing predictable fluctuations in drug use patterns. Frankly, depending on whether it's election season or not, I can't tell what the latest trend in drug use is. But more people will try drugs as knowledge about how they work and what they actually do spreads. Why have I never bothered with heroin? What right have I to disparage it? Well, frankly, I've seen what it does and I understand just enough of the pharmacology to understand how that happens. As people learn to relate willfully to drugs--that is, to use them or not, as in accepting or declining an offer of a drink, or a cup of coffee--instead of fear drugs because of folk tales, we will find, I think, that those who choose to use will do so more responsibly than those in the past.

I recall a Geraldo Rivera special on Satanism that aired late in the 1980's. What does Geraldo have to do with Satan have to with drugs have to do with the price of tea in Burma? I can't speak for Burma, but it's a relative concept. I remember that Rivera interviewed this teenager who beat his friend to death with a baseball bat for the glory of Satan. I also remember thinking, My God, this kid's parents are insane! A perusal of what can be confirmed from Aleister Crowley's biography shows the same thing. Strict religious parents = child's strong tendencies to dwell on matters of God. For an undereducated hick like this Geraldo subject, it seems to me that a Universe limited to good being Jesus and bad being the Devil statistically must result in Satanism as a rebellious outlet from time to time. So it might be with drugs. I know a good number of people who, upon reading the 1972 report on marijuana, decided that the anti-drug line about other substances must be balderdash, as well, and dove nose-first into processed white lines and soul-first into opiate Hells. (This lesson serves the point well when we consider that, not only is marijuana illegal, it is included on Schedule 1, determined by health hazard and addictive potential alongside crack, heroin, and crystal meth. If people associate marijuana with drugs--it's no more a drug than curry or peppermint, and less a Schedule 1 candidate than caffeine, and especially less than nicotine--then the lies about marijuana might, perchance, equal in some people's minds, oh, lies about heroin?)

The point is that the current climate dictates that people think about drugs in terms of black and white--that is, terms of law and punishment. This substance is illegal, never mind what it actually does to a person. A recent New York Times article noted researchers attempting to expand on long-forgotten studies into the therapeutic possibilities of hallucinogens; thank heaven for small mercies! Someone out there knows what many casual users have found out by accident--that these things can be used to our benefit.

Thus, an article from before the presant hysteria, when the Spectre of Drugs had not yet frightened people into two-dimensional thought:
    I hardly think this transcends any moral lines, and there even exists some sense of warning:
    I'm leaving alone the author's definition of hysteria. That could be applied to suffrage activists, if we want to get downright, historically dirty. But I think exaggeration of feeling and the accusation of absence of will seem frightening enough in their abstracts without invoking my own manifestations of such fears.
    In that sense, I would recommend that anyone who considers using LSD should read the diaries of Timothy Leary, or the poetry of Aleister Crowley. One is wise to think twice before choosing to engage a substance that incites their brain to behave in such a manner. One must be absolutely sure one wishes this transformation.

I heard objections that the movie Trainspotting "glorified" drug use--on what freakin' planet?

Marijuana? Here's news for anyone considering the sweet leaf--my 2001 estimated expense for marijuana will equal approximately 22% of my income. Technically, that's ridiculous! But heck, I'm still willing to pay it.

But little discussion on this level ever takes place because the most part of the culture must necessarily think first of law and punishment insofar as drugs are concerned. A recent article I posted in another marijuana-advocacy topic cites that part of what legalization accomplishes is the reduction of the fascination of rebellion via this or that means.

I think we can learn more from those ideas outside the hysteria surrounding drugs than anything we can learn amid the chaos. I find myself able to consider the issues relevant to my own use when I'm among a certain brand of user, who also is reflective about what they use and why. It is always important, when affecting the brain, to remember why you are doing this to yourself. All I learn from hard addicts is what addiction looks like--another reason to choose wisely. But even for these addicts to get help, they must first admit to felonies. But I do find that the musicians and artists I know who spend much time in deep thought help make drug use a more pleasurable and beneficial waste of time and money. In fact, they make it a proper investment; anyone who's seen Roger Waters (or, of course, Pink Floyd proper) or Phish live at The Gorge at Quincy, Washington, on a handful of magic mushrooms can well attest that neither time nor money are wasted.

Anyway, I'm officially off to the bar in a few minutes; I've been putting it off. A round of Guinness to you all, and know that the haze in here is dedicated likewise, and with love and goodness and great, big hug!

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

thanx,
    Tiassa

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

Last edited: Mar 18, 2001
  2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. rich68 Registered Senior Member

retirement

pls take a prolonged vacation,perhaps u could write a sa,on everything,that should keep u busy.
    cya

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.