Interesting news for Drug Warriors

Discussion in 'World Events' started by Tiassa, Mar 14, 2001.

?

Should the United States legalize illicit drugs?

1. Yes

6 vote(s)
    37.5%
  2. No

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Only certain ones: e.g.- marijuana, peyote, psilocybin, coca, opium resin

7 vote(s)
    43.8%
  4. No, but Schedule 1 should be rewritten

2 vote(s)
    12.5%
  5. No, more substances should be added to Schedule 1

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. I don't know, that's what I'm trying to figure out

1 vote(s)
    6.3%
  1. Tiassa Let us not launch the boat ... Valued Senior Member

The following excerpt is taken from an article by the Drug Reform Coordination Network in their weekly online newsletter. From The Week Online #176, 3/9/2001:
    This excerpt is taken from an article considering the results of a recent multinational study of teen substance use. One of the most confounding observations is that teen drug use occurs at a lower rate in places where drugs aren't so darned illegal.

And while most stoners I know already believe in Zeese's "forbidden fruit" idea, the idea rarely comes up in such focus.

For myself, I didn't smoke pot when I was in high school; I believed the lies about the dangers of marijuana until I read the 1972 Bureau of Narcotics report to Congress. But I went to a high school where they considered banning magnetic locker mirrors because they are so convenient for cutting the lines and lines of cocaine that my more affluent classmates made available.

But largely, as a youth, I only turned drugs down on the grounds that I either didn't like the drug for personal reasons (speed, coke ... I don't think we had a heroin problem), or else that I was uncomfortable standing outside a shopping mall--or under the bleachers, or outside a restaurant where four blue-and-whites are parked--and smoking a joint. Nowadays, that prohibition isn't nearly as strong, but it's not like I was ever fully anti-drug.

What I'm wondering, in general, then, is how people feel about the forbidden fruit idea. Whereas most drug warriors fear an explosion in use and abuse upon legalization, what of this phenomenon reflected among Dutch teens so aptly summed up by Zeese: the Dutch, when they made marijuana available for purchase, said one reason they were doing so was to 'make marijuana boring.

http://www.drcnet.org/wol/#eurostudy is the address of the article for the next few days. I will update it when the site moves the story to its archive.

thanx,
    Tiassa

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. tetra Hello Registered Senior Member

Agree!

I totally, completley, unconditionally, and really agree with you and the article.

Q. What is the Drug War's Goal?
    A. To stop people from using drugs.

Q. Do people use drugs?
    A. YES!!!! AND ALWAYS WILL!!!

The Drug laws are the only laws with no intended effect, and make it seem like it's OK to break the law.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Element99 Registered Member

Tiassa, you are the lighthouse in the murky waters of information, without you, I am sure that sciforums would become a chatroom with conspiracy theorists abound and endless pee and poo jokes.
    thank you for setting the record straight. It is hard to imagine the war on drugs being about anything except the seizure of ones own ability to make a concrete decision on what is good for them or what is harmful. It's time people stop letting the Dr. Laura's of the world tell them what is good for them, or "right" for them. Actually that should say stop asking the Dr. L's whats right for them, go outside, smoke one with their family and then ask " Is this what all the fuss is about"
    Sorry, it's hard to make an intelligent arguement for me right now, as you can see by the time of the thread. Love you and anyone else who loves themselves to find shit out for themselves, bye bye!

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. dexter ROOT Registered Senior Member

they should outlaw addicting drugs, well jsut discourage them. if its a free country, i want to have the freedom to use cannabis. it is basically harmless, sure there is a few dangers... but ur in a lt more danger driving down the street everyday.

8. ripleofdeath Registered Senior Member

how else are the nsa and cia gunna get there bags of cash?

they know you aint gunna fund them for spying in your window / or reaserch to police your thoughts

they need the drugs to be illegal and expensive to maintain there own hierachy.
    and life styles
    its the same in all countries i think just bigger in the bigger ones.
    surely you could ..."JUST HOLD OFF ON THOSE 20 EXTRA
    CRUISE MISSILES WE'L STOP A FEW HUNDRED PEOPLE FROM STARVING TO DEATH THIS YEAR COS I NEED THIER VOTES"

wel thats the way they would see it i gues

peace...love...and missery to all greed merchants

9. ripleofdeath Registered Senior Member

book

the teachings of don won
    by
    carlos castanada

im not sure if the spelling is correct but its an auto of the guy who is supposed to be the only (european)apprentice american indian witch doctor
    good read

10. KneD Le Penseur Registered Senior Member

I can smoke weed and marihuana whenever I want...

I live in the netherlands...

soft drugs are legal here, hahahahahahahaha