Internet - Public or Private virtual space?

Discussion in 'Computer Science & Culture' started by Quantum Quack, Jun 17, 2017.

1. Quantum Quack Life's a tease... Valued Senior Member

There has been and still is some argument and angst recently about how governments wish to retain meta data via ISP in their declared pursuit for improving national security and crack down on illegal activities.

I wonder though, at the heart of the debate, is the question of whether the Internet is a public or private space the one that really needs to be addressed.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

Currently, it is true that a citizen's movements out in the real can be monitored already and quite legally by law enforcement so why is it that a citizens movement in virtual reality can not be and why would it be deemed to be a special case?

If we consider the persons device as private but consider the movement of some data away and too that device as public, does that simplify the issue or not?

Would knowing that the Internet was always Public space ( except for, say, logged in "private" space) change the way people behave on the net?
    If so would it mean at least that we had no illusions of privacy instead of the confusing mix we have today?

There are many issues involved in this so I hold no expectation of any conclusions being reached here.

An article to assist in context:
    https://theconversation.com/the-new...our-privacy-and-its-time-we-took-action-78991

Care to discuss?

Last edited: Jun 17, 2017
  2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Beaconator Valued Senior Member

If we were all empathic I would say we could have all our doors unlocked and public internet, but since we are not it should be forced to be...

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Beaconator Valued Senior Member

If we were all empathic I would say we could have all our doors unlocked and public internet, but since we are not it should be forced to be... especially if we pay for special privledge. Cash for favors per se. Tit for tat. Or other illogical inhamorabian logistics...

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Quantum Quack Life's a tease... Valued Senior Member

Unfortunately empathy is something that seems lacking in many things human.

Perhaps the clear legal delineation between what can be considered as private and what can be considered as public would help ??
    Individual devices could be deemed as private as could be servers etc. but published public content and use thereof could be deemed as public thus open to surveillance and monitoring.
    "like monitoring people going into a store"

Just thoughts....

8. Beaconator Valued Senior Member

If we were all empathic I would say we could have all our doors unlocked and public internet, but since we are not it should be forced to be... especially if we pay for special privledge. Cash for favors per se. Tit for tat. Or other illogical inhamorabian logistics...

I mean to make one element needs more than

So we have this oversight in ourselves to need to not.

9. Beaconator Valued Senior Member

Mostly it just slows down the Internet and makes watson head hurt

10. Beaconator Valued Senior Member

Mostly it just slows down the Internet and makes watson's head hurt. As well as post duplicate messages

11. Beaconator Valued Senior Member

Mostly it just slows down the Internet and makes watson's head hurt. As well as post duplicate messages or none. Hope your trip was fun!