Interstellar Colonization on the Horizon?

Discussion in 'Physics & Math' started by Sandstorm52, Sep 19, 2013.

1. Sandstorm52 Registered Member

So, I was watching an interesting show on the Science Channel about how it may be possible to travel across space with man made wormholes. I think that such an advance would greatly affect all humans, and we would be able to live in a world much like Star Wars, with various colonies and vast amounts of resources at our disposal. I really want to see this happen perhaps in the lifetime of my great great grandchildren. Would it ever be possible to produce the necessary amounts of power that would safely engineer a wormhole with the capabilities of transporting humans and cargo across millions of light years, to other galaxies and star systems?

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. DwayneD.L.Rabon Registered Senior Member

Well, I would say that it seems that people under the age of 40 years old may not ever have to die, meaning that their are people alive to day that will live for hundreds of years, this is because of new technoloical developments. so you might just live to see a day where they actually use worm holes to travel to different far off places.
    There is however a lot of work that has to be done as far as humans being able to live in space and and on other planets. so the technology will let you live a long time but you would not be able to travel to other planets in the near future. But with longer living people you also get smarter and more exsperinced people that can make break throughs or discoverys in space survival much faster.
    The way things are it seems that the general population will be denied the medical treatments that allow people to live for hundreds of years. so things are difficult as the current wars on earth in the media distract people from very important discoveries that could change life as we know it on earth. these distactions and well cover ups leave certain treatments for a few people, but still somethings are exsperimental.

So if you are lucky you could actually live long enough to buy a ticket to Mars with your grandchildren

DwayneD.L.Rabon

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Sarkus Hippomonstrosesquippedalo phobe Valued Senior Member

My understanding of man-made wormholes is that they require one end to be fixed at either end of the wormhole... and so you have the issue of having to travel to the far end at least once... and I can't see that happening in the (natural) lifetime of even your next 10 generations... purely 'cos of the time it will take for that first journey.
    And if you're talking about "millions of light years" then even travelling at light-speed would take "millions of years" from an earth-bound perspective.

But then there may be theorised wormholes that can be made without this limitation?
    Perhaps you can link to the program or to the theories behind the program you saw.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. RJBeery Natural Philosopher Valued Senior Member

But...but...I'm 40! (dammit)

8. DwayneD.L.Rabon Registered Senior Member

Well, there might be some break throughs in the near future that will cause a leap and people 65 would then be included. the break throughs seem to occur in groups in one science, and several years later in another. So there are possiblities.
    one option would be cyrogenics, storeing the human body untill you could be brought back to life, appreantly there has been a break through in this technology which actually allows frozen body parts to be revived and replaced in the body.
    This recent break through was introduced by a man named Norio Owada. It is something to look at if you are over 40 years old.

Seeing how space is so cold it might just take some order of freezeing condition to travel through a wormhole, at any rate such technology will without doubt be used in a space aged society traveling space. It will be a standard knowledge requirement of all medical officers that travel in space, so it would not be such a bad idea.

As for wormhole travel I think it might be possible to use a fixed body of another solar system to form a wormhole, however if that solar system has life on it it might cause fatality. As well such a wormhole could not be sent or transmited from earth, such worm hole would have to be build from outside our central solar system such as a location like Eris or another Trans Neptune body and for saftey have a end terminal at a simular location outside the destination solar system.

I guess the main problem would be generating the worm hole, Assumably it would take a random estimated weight of say 500,000 tons of Tungsten to travel to our nearest neighboring star Alpha Centauri, so the energy requirement would be in that range,(the energy to form and created that much tungsten) the disapation rate is i think about 6 tons, the unit of time I don't remember off hand at the momment.

The wormhole transport is something that has been though of for transporting good from one location to the other, and i think the problem was that they could not reassemble the goods after they had travel through the vaccum and arrived at the other side.

Advanced tech mining uses a simular wormhole idea.

DwayneD.L.Rabon

9. RJBeery Natural Philosopher Valued Senior Member

I personally believe that medical immortality is possible but it's not going to happen for another 100-200 years.

10. DwayneD.L.Rabon Registered Senior Member

Well, It certainly seems that you are right about the 100 to 200 year wait for medical immortality when it comes to medical treatment for the mass people or general population. I assure you that medical immortality or living for ever as a result of medical treatment will be a reality long before we travel to another solar system or even make a colony on another planet.

The thing is that the technology already exist, and test trials of many systems are being done, but there is no organization or organization system that will make the elimination of death avialable to the masses. The private companies and individuals are trying to make a way for their own profit and they should be able to live good lives for their work,and ideas that have change society. however the world has to advance the slow pace that we see know has existed for many hundreds of years, it actually makes humans look like worms, generations after generations of the same ignorance.
    The goverments of the world are the worst; to have such a level of organzition of manpower, and tech and still fail to be able leap society forward is the worst. at such a rate we will never land on another planet or even another solar sytem.
    the other thing is that if you are a brillant individual and you produce a means to travel the solar system, the goverment would stop you or take your invention. certain countries for example the US would not allow certain inventions like the cell phone in to the united states because they had no control over the market and would not be able to make money only the foriegn investor would make money.

So likewise it seems with medical immortality and space travel, even though we are at a stage in world histroy where the world our planet is at a regeneration and the surface collaspes and reforms, the proccess under mathmatics seems to destroy most life on our planet. So humans will need to move to another planet for some time untill the reform. its a simple understanding, Long life and space travel are a requirement.

There are some simple practices that promise longevity of life, National Geographic did a story on the oldest people in the world and looked at all of the circumstances surrounding natural long life. the oldest man in the world was about 120 years old.

Also there is a russian scientist that has formula for regulating oxygen use in the body and it apprently helps restore human tissue to a youth ful state, it is amazaing.

Lastly they are all trying to sell you long life, you can exspect they will sell you some death so they can sell you some life.

DwayneD.L.Rabon

11. paddoboy Valued Senior Member

It may take a while longer, but given time, I believe we will eventually achieve interstellar travel.

12. paddoboy Valued Senior Member

For your information and others Imaginative enough to see the eventual exploration of the stars by human kind.....

100 Year Starship: Interstellar Travel & Beyond:

Lead by Dr MAE JEMISON, M.D.
    Principal, 100 Year Starship

Dr. Jemison, physician, engineer, educator and entrepreneur, was the first woman of color in the world to go into space aboard the Space Shuttle Endeavour and was a NASA astronaut for six years.

We exist to make the capability of human travel beyond our solar system a reality within the next 100 years. We unreservedly dedicate ourselves to identifying and pushing the radical leaps in knowledge and technology needed to achieve interstellar flight, while pioneering and transforming breakthrough applications that enhance the quality of life for all on Earth. We actively seek to include the broadest swath of people and human experience in understanding, shaping and implementing this global aspiration.

Taking up this task ignites not only our imagination, but the undeniable human need to push ourselves to accomplishments greater than any single individual.

see more at.....

http://100yss.org/mission/team

Tau Zero Foundation:

Lead by Marc G. Millis
    Former Head of NASA's Breakthrough Propulsion Physics program:

see more at.....
    http://www.tauzero.aero/

And then we have other such progressive, Innovative and Imaginative companies such as Planetary Resources lead by Peter H. Diamandis, M.D. who have on their team such people as Chris Lewicki
    President and Chief Engineer who has been intimately involved with the lifecycle of NASA’s Mars Exploration Rovers and the Phoenix Mars Lander.

and
    Chris Voorhees
    Vice President, Spacecraft Development who has played an integral role in both the Mars Exploration Rover and Mars Science Laboratory projects.

see.....
    http://www.planetaryresources.com/

Others are of course private companies such as e Space X, and Virgin Galactic.