Interstellar Communication

Discussion in 'Physics & Math' started by kmguru, Jul 13, 2001.

1. Light Registered Senior Member

Back up, dummy! NO one has said flux does not exist!!!!!! We've been telling you as clearly as possible that it's the LINES you are so hung up on that do not exist.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Mosheh Thezion Registered Senior Member

So Lines Of Flux Exist???
    -mt

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Light Registered Senior Member

Cannot you even read plain English??????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

For the fifth or sixth time - read this carefully and try to get it right this time!

Flux-exists-but-your-lines-do-NOT!!!!!!

Now read it again.

Now read it again.

Are you starting to get it?

No?

Then read it again!

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. superluminal I am MalcomR Valued Senior Member

Sheesh MT, you do seem to have a reading comprehension problem.

8. Mosheh Thezion Registered Senior Member

ok.. ok... flux exists... but it is not in the form of distinct line of force...

its flux... is not one dimensional... as an electric field is..

so then.. since you guys are so smart... tell me what it is.
    and how it acts on charged particles and why??

i can show you in detail..... can you show me???

-MT

9. superluminal I am MalcomR Valued Senior Member

Other than saying it's an exchange of virtual photons, no. Why don't you show us what it is. C'mon. Whaddya got???

10. kmguru Staff Member

Is that what you mean? a virtual photon that travels faster than its normal speed? Like turbo charged?

11. Mosheh Thezion Registered Senior Member

virtual photons?? ha.. thats a great answer... virtual... as in not real.

haha... such wonderful minds that believe anything....

ill get back to you with my responce and proposals...

-MT

12. Physics Monkey Snow Monkey and Physicist Registered Senior Member

I'm responding to Laika's question a while back about the reason why the ferrofluid forms distinct peaks. When you apply a strong magnetic field, the magnetite particles in the ferrofluid will tend to align their magnetic moments with the field. Each of those spikes consists of a lot of aligned magnetic dipoles, and this is nothing other than a bigger magnetic dipole i.e. a bar magnet. Now, bar magnets don't like to be next to each other with poles aligned, so there is an effective repulsion between the different spikes. It's the same reason why iron fillings also form a pattern with space in between adjacent "field lines". Why don't the spikes just fly apart then? Well, the little magnetite particles are attracted to the big magnet down below, and this attraction tends to squeeze the particles together. You can actually hold a ferrofluid in a dish with big magnet. The other big effect is the surface tension of the fluid in which the magnetite is suspended. The fluid likes to minimize its area which has the effect of keeping the spikes together. The interplay of all these competing effects is really what produces the wonderful patterns we all love.

13. Dinosaur Rational Skeptic Valued Senior Member

Physicts Monkey: Excellent description of the dynamics of ferrofluilds. Enough to cover all the bases without getting too verbose.

I never read anything about ferrofluids & I just learned a lot.

14. Laika Space Bitch Registered Senior Member

Ah. so it might form a similar pattern in microgravity after all? I'd like to see that.
    Thank you very much.

15. cyberlight13 Registered Member

Hello kmguru,

Back in 2001 YOU and WET 1 where discussing ways to achieve INTERSTELLAR COMMUNICATION. I have deviced an apparatus which might lead to this. I would really like you to take your time and see some photographs of apparatus, for which I need your email adress.

Below is an extract of conversation between (you)kmguru and wet 1 in which you describe a list of components for an interstellar telephone device, THESE COMPONENTS ARE PART OF THE APPARATUS I MENTION, WHICH YOU MAY SEE IN THE PHOTOS INDICATED.

Hope to make contact with you, as I think apparatus could be of your interest. Wish all is well.

Best regards,
    CYBERLIGHT13
    cyberlight13@yahoo.com

wet1
    Wanderer (5,086 posts)
    07-13-01, 05:00 PM
    Yuu have hit on something I believe to be a new use. I have heard everywhere about trying to use it for a busline to get from A to B, but I have heard no one come up with the idea of using it for the long distance phone call (E.T. phoning home).

If I usderstand the theory correctly, the string is not that large in cross section. There is also the idea that a string crossing another causes a disconnection, which turns into a closed loop. So if you message got hung into a loop it would not arrive where it was intended, but would rather be like a lost postal item, hung in limbo. If the loop idea is valid, it means that there are not that many strings out there. The estimate that sticks to mind was 10 for some reason. I'm sure that Crisp probably has some up to date info on the theory. (If you could be so kind to supply a link or info)

07-13-01, 05:59 PM
    I have a gut feeling, the major components for an interstellar telephone device are as follows:

Super cold generator (In deep space it is coooold)
    Magnetic generator (a coil)
    Super conductor
    Laser generator
    Pure element from the periodic chart
    An alloy with some special properties
    A capacitor bank for high power short duration
    (we may need a plasma generator but I do'nt think so)

Then we are ready to go: