Iraq Veterans vulnerable to commit suicide

Discussion in 'The Cesspool' started by wanneszinnig, Nov 16, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GeoffP Caput gerat lupinum Valued Senior Member

The Statue of Liberty is more a domestic representation, actually. And America has done both ill and good in the world.

2. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

Depends on who you ask:

Earlier this year, using the clout that only major broadcast networks seem capable of mustering, CBS News contacted the governments of all 50 states requesting their official records of death by suicide going back 12 years. They heard back from 45 of the 50. From the mountains of gathered information, they sifted out the suicides of those Americans who had served in the armed forces. What they discovered is that in 2005 alone — and remember, this is just in 45 states — there were at least 6,256 veteran suicides, 120 every week for a year and an average of 17 every day.

http://www.truthnews.us/?p=1010

4. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. quadraphonics Bloodthirsty Barbarian Valued Senior Member

Without seeing the numbers for any other countries, it's difficult to tell whether those numbers are remarkable or not.

Turns out that the country with the world's highest suicide rate is.... (drumroll please)... India!

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/south_asia/3590847.stm

6. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

Veterans of war?

Dissatisfaction with the government?

Are you sure you believe teh Lancet figures though?

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

8. quadraphonics Bloodthirsty Barbarian Valued Senior Member

I'm assuming it's shame and embarassment from being associated with S.A.M.

9. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

I shall ask my South Indian friends.

10. hypewaders Save Changes Registered Senior Member

Buffalo Roam: "the Liberals cut and run, quit and waste the lives of those they helped send into the war"

That's an unusually large pile of steaming crap. I, and untold thousands of other concerned and patriotic Americans from all walks of life -and from all political persuasions- marched in Washington, wrote to our local papers, lobbied, petitioned, and did everything we could lawfully do in order to spare our troops and our nation this horrific disgrace.. since before this entirely foreseeable disaster began. Then millions more of us began voting out the government, and we're not done yet: We're not stopping until even you won't be buffaloed by the lies of your favorite authority-figures.

Last edited: Dec 3, 2007
  11. GeoffP Caput gerat lupinum Valued Senior Member

Whoops.

No reason to disbelieve those stats, frankly, since there's no political partisanship behind their collection. Unless....the Americans skewed them in some kind of plot to throw off their disapproval rating? Ah! Always a way - eh, Sam?

12. hypewaders Save Changes Registered Senior Member

Re: In-Car Nation

13. hypewaders Save Changes Registered Senior Member

Although this issue is still popularly repressed, and although the VA remains in denial, it won't go away.

14. hypewaders Save Changes Registered Senior Member

15. hypewaders Save Changes Registered Senior Member

Greg Mitchell at Huffington Post is providing regular stories on this issue:

It's a shame how much these tragedies are ignored, and how even higher-profile cases such as the death of Col. Westhusing offer a grim but largely-ignored message to us.

16. hypewaders Save Changes Registered Senior Member

At multiple levels, the US military, media, and society in general have been covering up, or deliberately overlooking the deplorable rise in veteran suicides.

These losses should not be so ignored and neglected on Memorial, or any other day.

17. John99 Banned Banned

18. hypewaders Save Changes Registered Senior Member

Medical Doctors do not have a higher suicide rate than the members of our US military today. Before the numbers were called into question, the officially-reported Army suicide rate was 17.3 per 100,000 in 2006. In the article you linked, it was mentioned that "Each year between 300 and 400 doctors take their lives". We're looking at (or looking past) more than 6,000 veteran suicides and attempted suicides, and over 2,000 on active duty, per year lately.

I'll see if I can find some clearer statistics for the comparison you're making, John99:

CBS

CNN

Washington Post

Bloomberg

ost-War Suicides May Exceed Combat Deaths, U.S. Says

Last edited: May 27, 2008
  19. John99 Banned Banned

Determinations of suicide are always questionable. Dont throw any straw men at me because in know how the media tell "stories" to make a story. I am not saying it is not possible but dont take this the wrong way but i dont take what you say at face value or for that matter the media either.

So IF those numbers are accurate then what is it regarding per 100,000 medical doctors and that number includes ALL doctors.

20. hypewaders Save Changes Registered Senior Member

Read the links I've posted, and you'll find reason to suspect 17.3/100,000 is an understatement.

Anyway, let's find out about doctor vs. veteran suicides:

I'm still looking for comparable data, which isn't easy...

-Bob Filner, D-California, Chairman, House Veterans Committee

21. John99 Banned Banned

Why dont we find out how often hypewaders can ..............:bravo:

Just kidding

22. hypewaders Save Changes Registered Senior Member

John99: "Just kidding"

Well, I'm not. If we really do "Support Our Troops", then we should take these numbers, and their suspicious obscurity very seriously. I'm having a difficult time empirically comparing soaring veteran suicides with any other specific occupation, but it's becoming increasingly apparent to me that our present military veterans are suffering much higher rates of suicide than is evident in any other occupation.

23. John99 Banned Banned

But you dont support them at all.:shrug:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.