Iraq

Discussion in 'World Events' started by M. R. A., Mar 24, 2003.

1. M. R. A. Registered Member

Whether we, as Americans, feel that Sadam is a "bad" ruler is irrelevent relative to the war. History has shown us that if a dictator is in power and does not have the support of the people, then he is eventually overthrown. Moreover, the obligation to reform a government lies within the constituency of the nation and not an outside force. Thus, why is this war just?

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Thor "Pfft, Rebel scum!" Valued Senior Member

I shall say this only once...

...Fidel Castro

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Bowser Namaste Valued Senior Member

MRA,

If you had said that in Iraq, while under the rule of Sadam, your tongue would have been removed.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. jps Valued Senior Member

Thor,
    Believe it or not Castro's quite popular in Cuba.

8. Thor "Pfft, Rebel scum!" Valued Senior Member

M'kay then, I heard he was only popular because all those who opposed him were kinda like not alive for long :bugeye:

9. jps Valued Senior Member

I know quite a few people who have been to Cuba and talked to people there in uncontrolled environments.
    Cuba has a 100% literacy rate and free health care despite the US sanctions.
    Cubans continue to suffer because of these sanctions but the majority of them understand that they are suffering because of the US and not because of Castro

10. fireguy_31 mors ante servitium Registered Senior Member

Yeah for M.R.A.

I'm with you M.R.A., totally! What I've always wondered is where people get off thinking they have any right whatsoever to decide the fate of another country? Regardless of right or wrong(simply because it is a subjective opinion)invading another peacefull country echoes tyranny. But what's more important is how people fail to recognize what people think, especially because it will carry great consequences. Pay attention people, the world is getting pissed off!

11. Visitor Registered Member

History has also shown that it can take hundreds of years.

BTW, we just discovered a 100 acre chemical weapons plant, I suppose Iraq forgot about that one.

12. reformedtopunk got punk? Registered Senior Member

Not tyranny so much as imperialism. back in the day, nations tried to conquer other lands by waring with the natives and stealing the land. in out age, we overthrow their government and put in a puppet one to suit our own purposes.

13. fireguy_31 mors ante servitium Registered Senior Member

I stand corrected.

14. ElectricFetus Sanity going, going, gone Valued Senior Member

Fidel Castro is not a bad guy.

My grandfather went to Cuba once and said it was a heck of a lot better then Venezuela (where he was born and lived)

15. Coldrake Registered Senior Member

Yup. That's why southern Florida has a Cuban population damn near larger than Cuba.

16. jps Valued Senior Member

Who wants to live in a country thats been isolated from the rest of the world by sanctions? Cuba is suffering, but by and large, Cubans know its the US thats at fault, not Castro.

17. CounslerCoffee Registered Senior Member

UN sanctions. Not US. Also lets remember, it was UN sanctions that were placed on Iraq to, not US. And lets also remember that the oil for food programme was created by the French.

18. Coldrake Registered Senior Member

Actually they are US sanctions, but I disagree with those that say that Castro is that popular with Cubans. He's certainly no Saddam, but he keeps a tight clamp on the populace.

19. Xev Registered Senior Member

Then might makes right and it doesn't matter if the war is just or not.

Well, we don't know that it's a chemical weapons plant yet.

Well, I for one think that "my graddaddy says" is a great proof!

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

20. Nebula Occasionally Frequent Registered Senior Member

I think Castro is a pretty admirable dude. I'm doing a paper on Che Guevara, so I'm just learning more about Fidel too.

I especially liked reading about when he emptied Cuban jails, put the prisoners on a boat and sent it to Florida, where the prisoners claimed they were refugess and the US welcomed them with open arms.

Bettering his country while worsening his enemy's; how could you ask for a better leader?

21. M. R. A. Registered Member

I can't say that I can give an informed response as far as the Castro comments go, however in reference to what was said about Iraq: I will agree that the constituency should be happy with the ruler. But, I stand by what I said about obligation. If we all agree with Zey that "might is right", then any justification that Bush has given for America's involvement is defeated. I think that if America wants to fight for justice, then justice ought to be considered in what steps are taken to achieve that goal. Moreover, whether it takes hundreds of years to overthrow a dictator or not doesn't defeat the point that it's still the obligation of the people to do it. If a foreign entity supercedes the right of a government to govern within its own boundaries, then isn't the point of government defeated? If I were in a nation where the government's power was constantly trumped, then I would lose faith in my government. If the people themselves overthrow their own government, then not only is there justice but also reform made by the people who are affected directly by it. There is no outside bias. That, in my eyes, is justice.

22. ElectricFetus Sanity going, going, gone Valued Senior Member

Xev,

Lighten up!, just trying to have fun... besides its true what I said

23. Helen Registered Senior Member

US helicopter downed by Iraqi army in Karbala area, 2 U.S. Pilots captured: