Iraqis for McCain

Discussion in 'Politics' started by madanthonywayne, Jun 18, 2008.

1. madanthonywayne Morning in America Registered Senior Member

There's a lot of talk about how the world is excited about the prospect of a possible Obama presidency, but there's one critical part of the world not looking forward to that prospect, the Iraqis.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Buffalo Roam Registered Senior Member

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

Yeah, I missed killing people around the world for their beliefs, unlike you.

Do you talk to dead people too?

Last edited: Jun 18, 2008
  8. tim840 Registered Senior Member

SO WHAT?! Obama is endorsed by Fidel Castro!!! Why would I vote for anyone else

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

(This comment is sarcastic. Most of you could tell, I'm sure, but tone is hard to interpret on the internet

)

9. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

I think its the height of laziness to use a dead fake sheikh, why not make up a second fake one?

Last edited: Jun 18, 2008
  10. Tiassa Let us not launch the boat ... Valued Senior Member

Iraqi Foreign Minister Zebari on Obama; McCain's phantasmic opponent

From All Things Considered, June 16, 2008.

Meanwhile, McCain reaffirmed his support for the Bush course in Iraq:

According to McCain, then, while Obama would consult with the Iraqi government and U.S. military commanders in the field, that discussion would apparently not involve any consideration of conditions within the theater.

So now, in addition to arguing about a phantom enemy (e.g. Iranian-backed Sunnis), he seems to be campaigning against a phantom opponent. Perhaps this is a symptom of his age, but it is more likely a result of desperation. It is certainly easier to argue against an opponent one has invented and customized to fit one's needs than it is to engage the real thing.

Notes:

Kelemen, Michelle. "Iraqi Foreign Minister Courts McCain, Obama". All Things Considered. June 16, 2008. http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=91562391&ft=1&f=1001

See Also:

Greenwald, Glenn. "McCain's repeated 'slips of the tongue' on Iran and al-Qaida". Unclaimed Territory. March 19, 2008. http://www.salon.com/opinion/greenwald/2008/03/19/mccain/

11. thefountainhed Fully Realized Valued Senior Member

There is no poll, just comments from a few people. You could probably find 5 people who distrust Obama in Kenya of all places. That was highly irresponsible from the WSJ. The article is meaningless.

12. otheadp Banned Banned

The people in the article are the heads of The Awakening movement in Anbar. They are not just random people WSJ found to support their own views.

How many times has Obama been to Iraq? How many times has he talked to Patreus, other than in one or 2 official hearings? The man refuses to even meet Patreus, let alone to accept the progress made.

The Democrats are still stuck on stupid with their "willful suspension of belief", while McCain, being old and all, has travelled to Iraq over 10 times to meet with Iraqi government officials, and the US military there, from the top to the bottom of the command chain.

Who would know better about Iraqi progress (or lack thereof), McCain or Obama?

By the way, my grandma who is only 4 years older than McCain has a very hard time travelling. Jet lag + the travel itself are very hard on her at her age. But McCain travels so freakin much, and then trailblazes wherever he goes to... those are some awesome genes.

13. Challenger78 Valued Senior Member

Of course the Iraqi's are going to be afraid of a pull out, it's going to be civil war.
    So, pull out slowly. It isn't exactly rocket science.

So the argument is that Iraqi's are worried bout obama leaving them in the cold... well.. If it weren't obama, and perhaps democratic, would anyone in the US pause to consider what, perhaps Aussies would think if an Isolationist were running for president ? I think not.

14. Ganymede Valued Senior Member

62% of Iraqis favour Obama

In a Facebook poll of 100 Iraqis on 20 February, asked "Non-Americans, who should be the next US President?", the results were overwhelmingly in favour of Senator Obama with 62%. Clinton and McCain tied for second place with just 19% of the vote

One Iraqi working for the UN wrote: "I prefer him for the sake of change - hopefully he will be able to do something. Iraqi politicans need to be urged too much to work and get results".

http://www.theworldwantsobama.org/2008/02/62-of-iraqis-favour-obama.html

http://econ4obama.blogspot.com/2008/03/iraqis-on-obamas-proposal.html

15. draqon Banned Banned

Don't listen to this lie people, we pick our president for our country and not for other country then our own.

16. Challenger78 Valued Senior Member

I wonder, why are you caring ? Is it because he might actually become president ?

The hype is starting to make me sick.

17. Ganymede Valued Senior Member

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2006/09/26/AR2006092601721_pf.html

Sorry Madanthonywayne, you're going to have to provide more supporting evidence to substantiate your claim. One hack, who's on the US payroll doesn't represent the views of the average Iraqi.

18. draqon Banned Banned

I am careing because if McCain will become president of USA, that will mean war with Russia. And I mean real war this time, not just Cold War.

19. joepistole Deacon Blues Valued Senior Member

yea

20. otheadp Banned Banned

This reminds me when Bush was asked in 2004 after his reelection: "according to this international poll, your foreign policy is not very popular outside America". To this Bush replied "we just conducted our own poll in this country about the Bush foreign policy..."

21. iceaura Valued Senior Member

Uh, you do realize what you just pointed out, no?

It would have been far more persuasive, and far more responsible journalism, if they had been just random people, rather than paid-off funnels for American danegeld toward the folks who have agreed to not kill American soldiers as long as the money and weapons and training keep coming.

Not that I'm complaining - it's much better than what was going down. But there's no sense confusing that with American success in Iraq.

22. otheadp Banned Banned

You have demonstrated yet again your complete lack of knowledge of anything concerning Iraq.

FYI The Awakening is entirely nationalistic, and not mercenary. They even call themselves "Sons of Iraq". Not only that, the leaders of The Awakening movement have offered to help Americans in Afghanistan with ousting AQ and Taliban from the local civilian communities and villages by drawing on their experience in Anbar. The Americans are now reviewing the 34-page study / proposal that the leader of the Awakening has written. I.e., it's a volunteer movement.

http://www.stltoday.com/blogzone/th...-to-help-fight-al-qaeda-in-afghanistan/print/

23. iceaura Valued Senior Member

Petraeus is sure wasting a lot of US taxpayer's money then, if he could have had that alliance for free.

The Sunni tribal areas have been "nationalistic" - meaning defenders of their tribal areas and people - from day one of this war. That's why they were killing Americans. Now that the Americans have agreed to support them and their independence from the Baghdad Shia, they (or some of them, at least temporarily) have agreed to not kill Americans.

I'm in favor of that. It's money and support and so forth well employed in the short run. Expensive, and damaging to the ostensible overall goal, but that was a costly chimera anyway. Fewer dead Americans in pursuit of control of those oil fields is a good thing.