Ironywatch: Turks condemn condemnation of Armenian Genocide by condeming Armenians

Discussion in 'World Events' started by GeoffP, Mar 18, 2010.

1. GeoffP Caput gerat lupinum Valued Senior Member

Certainly not when the state has already chosen against them. That notion doesn't seem to trouble you, though.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. countezero Registered Senior Member

Typical rubbish in this thread: The usual crowd out to demonize the Turks and make connections, mysteriously, to contemporary American politics abroad. . .

As I've stated in another thread, the sad thing about this entire situation is that it's fairly obvious the rest of the world butting into Turko-Armenian relations under delusions of care and concern actually disrupts and harms the people on the ground. I think if everyone shut up about this and left the two alone, they might actually move toward some kind of normalization. But alas, politicians catering to diaspora and various other lobbies with axes to grind are too shortsighted to see this (as apparently are most in this thread, which is no surprise).

AKP, who I am no big fan of, took huge steps in the last 12 months to strengthen ties between the two countries and do something that actually would tangibly help people in both (open the border, start trade). Sadly, that's now all been derailed, and for what?

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. GeoffP Caput gerat lupinum Valued Senior Member

Count, it's not about "demonizing Turks". It's about accepting some responsibility for a massive genocide.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. countezero Registered Senior Member

Sure, it's about demonizing them.

Look at the hostility and rancor in this thread toward them (and toward the one Turk participating, who had nothing to do with the incident). There's nothing to be gained by calling 1915 a "genocide" or any other term other than what's gained through the demonization, politically speaking, and the inevitable lawsuits and property claims that will follow (as was the case against Germany). And whenever someone tries to point this out, (that is, point out the politics), they are immediately labeled an apologist and hounded by people (many of which have never even met a Turk or Armenian).

I'm much more interested in promoting positive relations between Turks and Armenians alive today than I am describing what happened to their forefathers several generations ago. There's nothing in this genocide talk but empty symbolism. Why not direct our energy toward something more positive, more substantive?

8. pjdude1219 The biscuit has risen Valued Senior Member

and as you have ignored acknowledging the crimes committed and the responsibility of them creates peace. look at northern ireland. fuck in Africa cases of genocide like what the turks did to the armenians (Rhwanda I believe. I'll need to look into it) had special courts where the perpatrators came and apoligized to their victims guess what no whole sale demands for compensation and no retaliatation against those that did it. All that was given a simple apology. All we want is for the turks is to take responsibilty for what they did which you steadfastly oppose

their are consequences for crimes You demand that the turks get away with the act that coined the word genocide and still in your completely dishonest fucking bullshit about how you recongize the genocide but refuse to call it that and attack anyone who calls the spade a spade. and don't go crying to string about how I'm making unsubstained claims about you being di9shonest. like last time I told you right to your dishonest face why your being called dishonest.

Last edited: Mar 23, 2010
  9. pjdude1219 The biscuit has risen Valued Senior Member

I still don't get that his asseration that the turks accepting responsibility for their actions would harm peace. and by his own arguing he knows it false. look he goes well they don't to pay anything not well it would completely prevent peace. he knows it would facilitate peace.

10. pjdude1219 The biscuit has risen Valued Senior Member

well than how about this the word genocide was coined with this in mind.

11. quadraphonics Bloodthirsty Barbarian Valued Senior Member

It may be that the former requires the latter.

Come at it the other way: what are the obstacles to positive relations between Turks and Armenians today?

12. GeoffP Caput gerat lupinum Valued Senior Member

Except the truth.

And what hostility? People were asking her questions, but not attacking her.

13. StrawDog disseminated primatemaia Valued Senior Member

Indeed. It seems the choice of "words" are partly the issue, less they get tarred with a certain brush.

Really, it would be admirable for them to step up, admit to grave injustice identified for what it is, and move on.

No doubt the internal politics are prohibitive in this regard.

14. StrawDog disseminated primatemaia Valued Senior Member

Yes, that makes perfect sense. Local friends in the hood may baulk at a "Holocaust" label. :m:

15. countezero Registered Senior Member

Ignoring the appalling grammar, it's time to call you a liar. I've not ignored the crimes. Indeed, in the last thread you showed your ass in on this topic, I acknowledged them quite openly -- SEVERAL TIMES. Remember this?

http://www.sciforums.com/showthread.php?t=100037&page=3

And still, you persist in lying about me and my position? And in reality, the fact I don't want to take those crimes and label them genocide, and in doing so, besmirch a nation, is what seems to ire you -- not your incorrect perception that I fail to acknowledge the crimes themselves.

Part of the issue, which hitherto is unacknowledged is that it's not even the "Turks" who did anything. Turkey was created in 1923. The power that committed heinous crimes against Armenia in 1915 was the Ottoman Empire. In particular, it was a rather sinister group of radicals in the CUP party. Enver Pasha and the Tesiklati Mahusa -- which you've never heard of -- were the main perpetrators of the crimes. These men were literally run out of Turkey by Ataturk after the war.

I don't ever run to anyone. The fact is you're personally attacking me and misrepresenting my opinions and positions. I've acknowledged what happened to the Armenians several times to you now. I do so again in this post. Either you can't read or you've chosen to continue to lie in some vain effort to defame me. Whichever is the case, I don't care. You need to grow up, by Strunk and White and learn how to debate.

We have reality to torpedo all of this. By that I mean that anyone who watches Turkey was hopeful that the so-call soccer diplomacy begun by AKP last year would bear fruit with Armenia. We had, in other words, glimmers of peace. What derailed it? Resolutions from naive Westerners who have no actual stake in the political game, beyond their own obvious electoral bullshit (see California, where all the Armenia resolutions emerge from). So now we have the relations of two countries derailed by outsiders and peace further away. . .

If you want peace, if that's really what you care about, leave them the fuck alone and let them sort it out. But I suspect for you, and many of the other posters, it's not about peace, it's about the blame game and demonizing a long disliked and mistrusted power.

It would seem among the biggest are stupid, non-substantive resolutions from third-party countries that have no business judging other peoples' history from afar.

I think applying loose definitions to past events is tricky business. I think applying loose definitions to the past for specious political reasons is even trickier. What's more it's disingenuous and immoral.

If you notice, my defense of the Turks has been swooped upon fairly quickly, too. Notice PJ's childish rant?

16. quadraphonics Bloodthirsty Barbarian Valued Senior Member

Seriously? What import would such third-party resolutions carry, absent an underlying political rift between the parties in the first place?

17. GeoffP Caput gerat lupinum Valued Senior Member

Countezero, how can you say it to be of poor motive? God's sakes, man, a couple million of them were killed. Do you presume they should think nothing of it? Of course it's political - as a movement of international expression, how can it be anything else?

18. pjdude1219 The biscuit has risen Valued Senior Member

No you white washed it every single fucking time. You refuse to call it what it is a genocide. You have tried to down play it.

thank you for proving me right.

every word I have said is true.?
    Yes it angers me me that you refuse to call the act that the word genocide was created basically to fucking describe as not a genocide. its also completely dishonest. And acknowledging it as a genocide is not besmirching turkey any more than acknowledging the holcaust is besmirching germany.
    their is nothing incorrect with my perception. yet more lies from the master of mendacity. Your downplaying it and whitewashing it. hell you've even blamed the fucking victims. that's not acknowledging it. what your doing is tanmaount to the claim the the nazis did katyn.

So you given up on lies and gone with stupity now?
    ottaman empire and turkey are the same people the ottoman turks.

Last edited: Mar 24, 2010
  19. countezero Registered Senior Member

Plenty.

See the German and Japanese examples.

A nation pays a serious cost for being dubbed a genocidal power. It also faces costly reparation lawsuits about land and property and suffering. In many cases, this site included, people are comparing the Ottoman Turks to the Nazis and the forced relocation -- or whatever you want to call it -- to the holocaust. Those are palpable comparisons (and inaccurate in my view).

Because I believe it is.

The people pushing for recognition are the diaspora in Europe and America. Armenia is no longer the leading voice. The people paying lip service to the diaspora are ignorant politicians who want donations from rich Armenian donors. So it's not as if the gentleman from California cares about human rights, history or Armenians and Turks. He wants money to get reelected.

I think plenty of it, but you're ignoring the larger political reality in favor of one that is biased and disproportionately anti-Turk.

As I argued elsewhere, no discussion of this issue takes into account what was happening in WW1, ASALA or the Armenians current campaign to cleanse Nagorno Karabagh. You want to talk irony? Talk about the world condemning the Turks for what the Armenians are doing now in Karabagh. None of this, of course, undoes what the Turks did -- or somehow makes it okay. But it does give a context for what the larger issue today is, and those larger issues seem ignored time and again in favor of another, more convenient focus.

20. Bells Staff Member

So Turkey should not recognise it as a genocide because it could end up costing them too much financially? Good to see where your priorities lie.

Actually, it is very accurate. More than a third of all Armenians were simply wiped out.

So on a scale of "holocaust", it is up there.

While you may think it is inaccurate, human rights experts and experts on genocide, even the individual who coined the word "genocide" referred to it as a holocaust. So which view is more accurate? Yours, who just stated that it would simply cost too much to admit it? Or the people who have studied it in detail.. ?

I'll give you a hint. It's not you.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

Does that take away the fact that it actually happened?

You are saying a very bad part of their history should be ignored or wiped out because not only it might be a bit costly, but because you just don't like the people who are pushing for recognition.

How about Turkey should recognise it as a genocide, stop denying it ever happened because it is the right thing to do? What happened to actually having principles and taking ownership for one's history instead of denying it?

21. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

Well well what do you. Even I can agree with countezero, unlikely as that seems. I would hazard a guess the counte has actually been to Turkey. Nothing like living among a people to see with such clarity

/just kill me now

22. Fraggle Rocker Staff Member

That's not correct. The United States government has not adopted the word, but many of us citizens have, and we constantly lobby our government to do so. The day will come when it becomes official policy. Unfortunately by then it will be too late to be much more than a semantic issue.
    Iran, China, Russia...
    As a matter of fact, many people do in vernacular speech. When they name the event then of course it's "the Nazi Holocaust" because that's its official name in the history books. But when they talk about the people who did it, they're just as likely to call them "Germans" as "Nazis."

Since Perestroika opened the files of Eastern European governments to Western scholars, evidence has come to light indicating that there were three times as many concentration camps as we thought there were, about fifteen thousand of them. It's becoming harder to say that anyone who lived in a city of any size could NOT have known that something dreadful was going on.
    Actually, for quite a while after WWII EVERYONE wanted to offend the Germans. Sixty years later... well of course today there are many people who don't remember WWII, so the anger in the West has abated. I was three when it ended and had no idea what it was about until I was a teenager; but I certainly remember people making hateful remarks about the Germans, which I didn't understand. But go to Israel and I think you'll encounter many people who will never forgive the German people. For that matter, neither will the Eastern Europeans. My friends there insist that the worst thing about Perestroika is that it allowed the reunification of Germany. They warn us that one day the world will pay the price for that.
    Spain and Portugal were occupied by the Moors. That's why they have so many city names starting with "Al-," why flamenco music sounds like Arabic music, and why Ojala/Oxala is a common interjection.
    Armenia was integrated into the Ottoman Empire, like most of the Middle East.
    Your maps are more than a little out of date. People move around due to pressure from their neighbors. The Cherokees, who have become wealthy due to all the petroleum in their "homeland" of Oklahoma, used to live in Florida.
    Assimilation is more common in the Western Hemisphere. After living here for a couple of generations, a family becomes American, Mexican, Brazilian, Venezuelan, Argentine, Chilean, etc. Just look at the surnames of the presidents of Latin American countries: Pinochet, Kubitschek, Guzman, Fujimori, Bachelet. It even occurs in Europe, although more slowly, and most commonly for migrants between European countries.

It's quite a bit rarer in Asia. People there hang onto their roots more than we do. To those of you familiar with my rants about the transcendence of our pack-social instinct and the eventual coalescence of a single global civilization, I would suggest that the Americas are a little (and only a little!) ahead of the rest of the world in the matter of forsaking ethnic identities.

Even in the USA we have a strong "Armenian" community, even though their families have been here just as long as my family has. It's very large and powerful in California--we even had an Armenian-American governor, George Deukmejian. Drive through Glendale and half the business signs are in the Armenian alphabet. That's why Nancy Pelosi is so sensitive to Armenian-American issues. If she doesn't push the issue of the Armenian Holocaust, she will lose her seat in Congress.
    So why didn't you stay and help us work for justice??? You have such passion for it! Even if I happen to disagree with you on many issues, we need the dialog. Are you channeling that energy into a worthy cause in India, like the Dalits? Or have you prematurely become an old lady who doesn't care about injustice any more, except to rant about it on the internet while sitting in an easy chair with a cup of tea?
    You don't understand Turkey at all. No one assimilates. It's a legacy of the Ottoman Era. Each culture remains distinct.
    It only took a century to get our government to apologize for slavery. We'll eventually prevail and get them to apologize to the Indians. Maybe when that happens there will still be a few thousand who haven't assimilated.
    That's the issue here. Normalizing relations between two historically hostile adjacent nations is a pretty big deal to just shrug off as "politics." Armenia is a little bit too close to the Middle East to not want to have very good relations with Turkey, for reasons of self protection.

This is the worst possible time for the United States to start screaming about the genocide. It is the work of our own Armenian community, who are not necessarily syncrhonized with the interests of their historical homeland. They're taking advantage of the fact that the Democratic Party happens to be in power now, and that party is more socially liberal and more likely to sympathize with them on this issue. The Republican administration would not have done it.

Many of us see this as more of a symbolic gesture, with very few tangible effects. The cost could be a deterioration of relations between the U.S., Turkey and Armenia, which could upset the delicate situation in the entire Mideast. Turkey is the site of major U.S. military bases; if they throw us out we'll have to move them to Kazakhstan and the other impoverished former Soviet republics, who would be delighted to have them and all the money that comes with them. Iran and Pakistan would not be pleased to have them so close--not to mention China!
    The Turks have argued that it was not aimed specifically at the Armenians, but rather all Christians who were in Turkey when the Ottoman Empire collapsed. It happens that the majority were Armenians, but other ethnic groups were also slaughtered indiscriminately. In any case the motivation was religious rather than ethnic, if that makes any difference.

The Turks also insist--as someone else mentioned on this thread--that there is a complete discontinuity of government and society between the Ottoman Empire and the modern nation of Turkey. The Ottomans were imperialists who ruled virtually the entire Middle East as well as Greece, Bulgaria and much of southeastern Europe, and also Egypt and much of North Africa, for 600 years. Turkey was created out of its ashes, with the specific purpose of leaving its evil past behind. Kemal Ataturk formed a republic that was secular rather than Islamic, that regarded Europe as a role model rather than Asia, and even abolished the Arabic alphabet and converted the language to Roman script to be more like Europe.

Modern Turks who say the Christian genocide was the death rattle of the Ottoman Empire, and that is precisely the sort of thing they turned their back on when they built their new country, may be engaging in a bit of exaggeration and historical revisionism, but nonetheless there is quite a bit of truth in it: They threw out the people who committed that genocide. (We won't talk about the Kurds.)

This isn't like Germany. The Nazi Holocaust ended only 65 years ago, during my own lifetime. There are lots of people alive who remember it clearly, including concentration camp survivors with tatoos on their arms, and American and Russian soldiers who liberated those camps--and have had nightmares every single night since then, from the smell alone. This is still a living issue.

The Christian genocide happened a generation earlier. There are very few people alive who remember it personally. They're in their 90s and 100s, and they were so young that their uncomprehending childhood memories have been augmented by ninety years of political debate.

There are people in Germany who we can still blame for the Nazi Holocaust. There is no one in Turkey we can blame for the Armenian Holocaust. It's a historical issue.
    Obama was just flashing his leftist credentials. The way to win that election was very simple: just remind everyone "I'm not a Republican."
    Are you saying that if that war could somehow have been forestalled, by now the people who identify themselves as "Indians" and "Pakistanis" would be living together in peace in a single country???
    I have already summarized the analysis of this situation that appears to be the consensus among American moderates. If the U.S. passes this resolution, our relations with Turkey will deteriorate. It's quite possible that they will discontinue allowing us to have military bases in their country, which are key facilities for our government's proscecution of its fraudulent war in the Middle East. Other nations are eager to have our bases, closer to Iran, Pakistan and China. This will upset the balance of power in the region.

It will probably also derail the diplomatic overtures between Turkey and Armenia. It could very well prove to be a triumph of words over actions: in other words, pure politics.

23. pjdude1219 The biscuit has risen Valued Senior Member

your not going to get get a lasting peace with out resolving this issue and that is going to take the turks accepting responsbilty for it. just because it was a previous government that did it doesn't absolve the people who supported it and defended it who turks before the fall of the ottoman empire and turks afterwords.