Ironywatch: Turks condemn condemnation of Armenian Genocide by condeming Armenians

Discussion in 'World Events' started by GeoffP, Mar 18, 2010.

1. GeoffP Caput gerat lupinum Valued Senior Member

...which excuse the Armenian Genocide? Should we write off the Holocaust in the same way? After all, there's the West Bank, and lots of things were happening in WWII, you remember.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. GeoffP Caput gerat lupinum Valued Senior Member

Oh.

So in discussions of Palestine and Israel, one should implicitly take the word of otheadp and CheskiChips above yours because, as you know well, they actually live there. Nothing like living among a people to see with such clarity.

Thanks for the clarification.

:shrug:

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. GeoffP Caput gerat lupinum Valued Senior Member

counte, perhaps we could discuss the war in another thread, if you'd like. I'm interested in your perspective. Or via PM if that's better.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. countezero Registered Senior Member

Excuse me, but my priorities have nothing to do with it. And your crude restructuring of my larger points is just that, a crude restructuring. I have no way of knowing for sure, but I think the Turks probably care more about being lumped in with Nazis -- and what that means -- than they do reparations and such, but yes, reparations and such do play SOME role in their protests. And rightfully so.

So you get to ask the questions and answer them too? How nice.

Comparisons to the holocaust do not stand up on a number of fronts. There was not, for starters, an industrial machine created for the specific purpose of destroying a race.

No, nor am I arguing it didn't happen, which apparently you still cannot grasp. What I am arguing is that official condemnations of what happened that are based on little more than political opportunism and bias, are wrong. What's more they are dangerous, as they disrupt and undermine real political progress in the region.

I've said nothing of the like. Read the above.

I'd be the first to admit the Turks have some serious soul-searching to do on this issue and need to begin to admit to themselves what happened. But I also think the worst circumstance for that to happen in is one in which they are put on the defensive, demonized and labeled -- and all for spurious political reasons.

As I already mentioned, AKP was taking positive steps toward Armenia. More recently, Turks began restoring Armenian churches near Van and changing the historical descriptions of them. These are positive steps. Substantive steps. Empty condemnations in far away places for campaign finance are not.

So this isn't about demonization, but apparently you are incapable of reading through an entire line of thought, because you're more interested in condemning? Okay. I mean, that is, you must have missed, just a few words later, when I wrote: "None of this, of course, undoes what the Turks did -- or somehow makes it okay. But it does give a context for what the larger issue today is, and those larger issues seem ignored time and again in favor of another, more convenient focus."

So are you interested in honesty? Or is self-righteousness more important?

8. GeoffP Caput gerat lupinum Valued Senior Member

Oh, self-righteousness, naturally.

That's why I asked you about Nagorno Karabagh, and why you feel that modern events are either being ignored or even trump the Armenian Genocide. If you have something on this issue, let's hear and discuss. I ignored your accusation of my "biased stance" and being "disproportionately anti-Turk".

Still, doesn't your first statement conflict in spirit with

How do you propose to have an unbiased stance if you also propose that the incident be swept under the rug in preference to...what, then?

So are you interested in honesty? Like I said, I asked for an alternate thread on the Turk stance, or some further discussion about Nagorno Karabagh, which you seem to cite as a reason that the discussion is anti-Turk, or that you seem to feel invalidates mention of the Armenian Genocide.

So, in simpler language: ok, how? Fair enough for you?

9. countezero Registered Senior Member

If you don't want to be accused of something, then try reading all of what I write, not just particular passages that allow you to stereotype me.

The fact you are asking shows the events are being ignored.

People are being oppressed, moved and killed in that region right now and I doubt most of the posters in this site, the same ones on their high moral horses, even know where the region is on a map. Perhaps if all the time and energy wasted on 1915 were applied to the current conflict, a resolution might be more likely?

I'm not proposing sweeping it under the rug. Seriously, can you fucking read? I wrote: I'd be the first to admit the Turks have some serious soul-searching to do on this issue and need to begin to admit to themselves what happened. But I also think the worst circumstance for that to happen in is one in which they are put on the defensive, demonized and labeled -- and all for spurious political reasons.

I've made the case. Apparently, you cannot follow it. I've said the Turks need to deal with what happened, but that unrelated parties castigating them is hardly the best way to make that happen. I've said people don't really know the history of what they're talking about or why the Turks are loathe to be seen as caving to the Armenians (look up ASALA). I've said people are ignoring the political axes being ground and ignoring that focusing on 1915 is, in fact, harming Turks and Armenians alive today, because it's derailed the peace process there.

10. GeoffP Caput gerat lupinum Valued Senior Member

"Stereotype you"? Eh? Am I trying to stereotype modern Turks?

OK, so let's have a discussion about it. I've asked several times now. If you're too busy, say so.

Look, it's really simple: either they own up to it, or they cry - as you're doing here - "oh, but WWI was really hard and everyone's being mean to us in the present day and so on" and avoid the issue. If you want to put a "but" in there, then add something to the but instead of jumping up and down on a rickety soapbox and weeping. "Spurious political reasons", my ass. 'Those who are ignorant of history are doomed to repeat it' mean anything to you?

Well, here's the thing: unrelated parties are always involved. Maybe you've heard of a body called the UN. If the Turkish ego is so damned fragile that owning up to the past is going to break them - and we're talking about a nation that made it illegal to talk about the issue, which is hardly egalitarian - then tough. It happened. Deal with it.

Or maybe just bury it under another hundred years of denial, which is probably the plan. Maybe people would respect Turks in general more - if this is your talking point - if the Turkish government just came out and admitted what happened.

Have you gone retarded in time and space? Why do you think there's an ASALA? What in the hell does it have to do with the Armenian Genocide other than demanding reparations? Do you have any ability to join two thoughts together except in apologetics? Liberalization and expanded freedoms is fine, but not under Turkey's say-so on truth and justice.

11. countezero Registered Senior Member

You've been presumptive from post one, you've mislabeled my positions and ridiculed my easy-to-read statements -- all because I am not falling all over myself to join you at the 'condemn the Turks alter.' We get more of the same in your latest offering. . .

What's to talk about? You're a prime participant in a thread about "irony" and yet you're either unaware or uninterested that the very same people who are complaining about ethnic cleansing in 1915 -- and that's more what I would call it -- are practicing it themselves in 2010.

Again, why the hyperbolic prose that is offered up as a stunt to belittle me and my position, which you've repackaged (inaccurately)? You claim to be interested in talking, then you behave like an ass. The two don't correlate.

Is that really why you think the California congressman is interested in this issue? Because he thinks more killing is in the offing unless the US passes a piece of paper across some desks? If he care about Turks or Armenians and peace, he would have flown to those soccer matches and tried to broker a deal between them last year. Guess what? He didn't.

You know who did?

Hillary Clinton. Yep. I give her a lot of credit. She put in a lot of time on the issue and helped get the two countries talking and on the right path. Too bad that progress was torpedoed by you and the piece of paper brigade...

And you're missing a point I am making. I don't think the Turks would have such an issue "dealing" with it if they were allowed to deal with in a context that was more their own. IE one that is not confrontational and engineered for dubious political purposes abroad. I also think they'd be more willing to deal with it if people weren't so keen to lump them in with the Nazis, something that Josef Stalin has thus far even managed to avoid...

People in the West have hated and disrespected the Turks for centuries, which is probably why Turks are so testy. Lumping them in with Nazis is hardly going to change the trend. If anything, it accelerates it by adding more fuel to the already burning fire.

I know why there's an ASALA. I also know it killed Turkish diplomats and bombed buildings full of innocents for years and no one said peep about it in Europe or California or anywhere else. Apparently, you are ready and willing to join that mum brigade. So who's the real apologist here? I'm not excusing what the Turks did at all. Are you excusing ASALA?

12. Bells Staff Member

I'm sorry, but you are putting a dollar value on this. And I find that quite astounding.

The Turks should care about being lumped in with Nazis. Simply because like the Nazi's, they continue to deny what happened.

You are basically saying that we should respect their delicate sensibilities and keep denying it and not recognise it for what it was. Tell me, what is the dollar value for a dead Armenian? How about for a third of the Armenian population? Should we respect the delicate sensibilities of the Nazi's? Should we have done so in the past?

Should money matter when owning one's history? Should we, as a human race, ignore our wrong doings in the past because it might cost us a bit if we admit to it?

In deeming it a Jewish Holocaust, the Armenian Holocaust was used as a referral. While not as many Jews and non-Jews were killed in the Armenian Holocaust, it was still a Holocaust because of the scale when compared to the over-all population of Armenians at the time.

While there may not have been gas chambers, the action of the Turks at the time had been with the direct intent and purpose to bring about the deaths of the people as a whole. Their intent was specific and their actions can be verified by not just survivors, but by direct witnesses to the killings and the deaths marches. It was simply easier to just shoot them, hang or behead them and the rest, it was easier to let them starve to death while marching across the desert. They took the longest route, with the specific intent that those people would perish, and perish they did. They killed the men directly and made the women, children and elderly march, denying them food and water along the way, knowing that they were weaker and would die out of plain sight.

So while the machinery may not have been there in the form of gas chambers, their intent was exactly the same.

How you cannot recognise this says alot about your particular stance on this issue.

Political stability and a better relationship with Armenia, as one example, would be helped directly by Turkey recognising it as a genocide instead of denying it even happened and trying to hide it. Turkey's relationship with its European neighbours and its application to the EU would go a lot more smoothly if they recognised it. It remains a point that needs to be addressed by Turkey in their application to the EU.

Their continued denial and refusal to accept it will only ensure regional instability. Their current threat to expell 100,000 Armenians is not going to fare well for them, simply because they are protesting that other countries are recognising it as a genocide. The irony of that would be funny if it wasn't so god damn pathetic.

Not only do they refuse to claim it for what it was, but they demand that other countries deny it as well and not recognise it for what it was. That kind of attitude and bullying tactic from Turkey will ensure continued instability.

They are labeled because they slaughtered one third of the Armenian population in a matter of months. They are labeled because not only won't they recognise it, but they attempt to deny it ever happened. I agree with you, they do need some soul searching on this issue, because it will not go away. It will remain the giant white elephant that takes up half the room until they recognise it for what it was and move on.

Wow. Restoring some churches eh? Hmmmm..

How great of them. No, I mean that, seriously. But, no matter how many churches they restore or how well their relationship may become with Armenia, that white elephant will remain in the room until they address it instead of denying it's there.

13. pjdude1219 The biscuit has risen Valued Senior Member

lets for the sake of argument accept counts proposition that the armenian genocide wasn't a genocide and merely turkey getting rid of a group of people that would interfere with what they wanted in the area. Now whats is another incident that was also done like this, Kaytn forest in world war 2. if thats your lesser morality your just better off admiting gencode and improving relations

14. countezero Registered Senior Member

I'm putting nothing on anything. I am simply reporting the position of the Turks. Turkey lives in constant fear of outside attack and of losing territory (it's called the Sevres complex). Part of that manifests in the Armenia issue, in that the Turks worry that if they accept the genocide, they will legally bound to compensate victims with money -- and perhaps even land. You and I might not like it, but it's a very real political consideration, and there is plenty of basis for the Turks' concerns.

How about you try to deal with what I say and not repackage it so you can ridicule it? I did not say you had to "respect" anything, but you have to deal with their politics, because those politics are part of the overall equation. What you and others in this thread are doing are completely ignoring the politics of one part in a two-part equation. No doubt it feels great to shout and moan and castigate one side, but that attitude isn't really going to get you anywhere with the other party, whose cooperation you need if you want to resolve this issue.

That's just not true. The Turks wanted the Armenians out of Turkey. Period. They did not want to exterminate them. The historical analogy, if there is one, would be something like the Trail of Tears in the US, not the German attempt to enact a Final Solution.

Again, quit projecting views on me, and deal with what I say.

Turkey agreed to setup a joint commission with the Armenians to assess the issue. Did you even know that? But that push, along with everything else, was derailed by the frivolous resolutions in the US.

That you scoff at the issue shows your ignorance of the region and the powers there. The issue is sufficiently important to the Armenians that it was raised by their government during their talks with the Turks. The Greeks also complain about a tiny monastery off the coast of Istanbul being closed at a state to state level. Maybe you need to read some more on this subject before you start making judgments?

15. GeoffP Caput gerat lupinum Valued Senior Member

That is astoundingly incorrect. None the less, carry on.

I started the thread, actually.

OK: where? When? Can we have some information? Is it ASALA again, after their twenty year hiatus?

Because asking me can you read? is really not at all belittling.

Wrong.

That is true of your position, and not mine. I asked you for some clarification of the circumstances, and you chose personal assault. Not my problem.

So what? You have to visit someplace to give a damn about their issues? Talk about non sequitur.

HAW! I am now directly responsible (partially anyway) for the destruction of the Turk-Armenian peace initiative.
    This would be like me accusing you of perpetuating the Turkish-Armenian conflict. Are you?

No, I'm not missing it at all. I just disagree with the proposition. Admit genocide but only on your terms? To hell with that. It's enormously disrespectful to those who actually died in the Genocide. Here's an idea: how about contrition?

Might have something to do with that holy war they had going against us for hundreds of years, but who's counting? Why is it that only we must respect Turkish dignity? Are you saying Turkish society can't do the same?

Not at all: I appreciate the Armenian-Turkish history in the region far more now that I've looked some of it up. And, I'm not particularly impressed with what's been done to the Armenians: in fact, as I've read about it, I've found myself taking the Armenian's side. Forgetting, of course, the actual fact of the Genocide itself. As context of my own: for years, too, the Turks have been busily suppressing Armenians. And no one said peep about it in Europe or California or anywhere else. Apparently, you are ready and willing to join that mum brigade.

You, seemingly, unless you can lay out some specifics as to why we should dilute our condemnation of the horrors of the past with those - far slighter, and seemingly responsorial - of the present.

You've stated that you want to apply some - seemingly spurious - context to it. I've asked: why? Apparently, that offends you. It's a mystery as to why.

Well, shouldn't we discuss the actions of ASALA in the context of the Genocide? You tell me.

Or perhaps you could get the bug out of your ass and come to grips with the fact that I wasn't attacking you.

16. countezero Registered Senior Member

Nagorno Karabh. I've said it about a dozen times.

Well, you clearly can't comprehend. You've misstated my position and accused of my positions I've never taken. I've documented that, bolded it in fact.

Speaking of, talk about lack of reading comprehension. My point was much larger than your inaccurate re-phrasing. My point was that he doesn't give a damn about peace in the region, because if he did, he would be doing less of what he is doing and more of what Clinton was. It had nothing to do with visitations, though one does wonder if he's ever spoken to a Turk...

You are partially responsible. You're imposing yourself on the relations of two nations about an issue that has little or nothing to do with you. And in the process, and through your ignorance, you have become part of a vocal majority that seems to have derailed a positive political process.

Oh, please. Don't conjure up the ghosts of the died and plant them on your side of the debate. You can no more speak for them than I can. And the terms aren't mine (why is this whole debate PERSONAL for people like you). They are the Turks. You can ignore them if you like, but don't be surprised if they ignore you back.

The Turks weren't behaving any differently than the Europeans at the time. As for dignity, you've already shown you have little concern for the Turkish side. And yet you demand them to behave a way you are incapable of towards others? Some consistency would be nice.

Good for you. You took a position you didn't know that much about, looked some stuff up and found yourself agreeing more with your original position. You've got the sciforums logic down pretty damn well, I'd say...

Good job displaying your ignorance. You can go to J-store and type in "Turkey" and "human rights" and get thousands of articles on the topic. Or you could just read the State Department's recent report on Turkey (I did) to see how fucking foolish the above statement is. People have been harping about Turkey's human rights issues for a long time. I mean, not for nothing was it chosen as the setting for Midnight Express...

I've said nothing of the sort. Again with the reading comprehension...

You dodged the question. Answer it.

17. Fraggle Rocker Staff Member

By sifting through (often irrational) decisions about life insurance, wrongful death court settlements, etc., actuaries calculate that the average American values his life, in round numbers, at seven million dollars. (This was more than ten years ago, it's probably ten million today.) This stands up to analysis. If a disaster wiped out all 300,000 citizens of Iceland, that tallies to about two trillion dollars. From a strictly economic standpoint, that is a reasonable discounted-present-value of their future contribution to the world economy, PLUS hundreds of billions in intangibles, such as losing the next Bjőrk.

Pain and suffering, grieving, loss of economic support, loss of companionship, loss of cultural motifs, seven mil really does seem to be at least a good enough number to start with and work on refining. If you apply that to the six million Jews in the Holocaust, Germany would owe their survivors (in the case of an ethnic group the survivors include most of earth's population) FORTY TRILLION DOLLARS. That is almost equivalent to the GDP of the entire human race--today! Back then, in 1946 dollars, it would probably have equated to four or five years' GDP. I know for a fact that Germany did not pay anyone that much in war reparations! How could they? They gave lots of money and hundreds of Mercedes-Benz buses to Israel, but not $40,000,000,000,000.

Let's assume that in 1920 the value of a human life was less than today, even in inflation-adjusted dollars. People didn't have the same income potential, life expectancy was lower and families were more accustomed to deaths, yatta yatta. Let's say just one million (2010)dollars.

So for the 1.5 million Armenians killed by the Ottomans, the bill would be 1.5 TRILLION 2010 dollars. No country could have paid that bill in 1920. No country could pay that bill today; even the U.S. would have to pay it in at least twenty annual installments to avoid going bankrupt and defaulting on the remaining payments.

So putting a dollar value on human life, based on the value people place on their own lives, is very instructive. To say that Turkey owes Armenia a trillion and a half dollars (ignoring a century's accrued interest!) is to say that the damage done by the Armenian Holocaust is incalculable and unrecoverable.

Now, would you like to get into what the United States owes to the Indians? Whatever it is, it is NOTHING compared to what the Latin Americans owe to theirs! We're just about to break into the quadrillions with that one.

Accounting can be very useful for putting things in perspective.
    My calculations suggest that money is a very useful measure of evil. When you do immeasurable evil you end up with an incalculable debt.
    "A bit?" Ho ho ho. I think the guy with the accounting degree just adjusted that estimate to a much more realistic level. It might cost us TRILLIONS OF DOLLARS!
    The English word "holocaust" has been in use for "an indiscriminate massacre of a large number of people" for almost 200 years, and in fact was specifically applied to the slaughter of Jews in their schtetls by European Christians--a few hundred or maybe a few thousand people at a time. It doesn't have to add up to a significant percentage of the whole world's population of an ethnic group. It's just a thorough eradication of all the people of that ethnic group that you can find in one place.

As I noted in an earlier post, the Ottomans were not specifically targeting Armenians, but rather all Christians. So it would be more properly labeled "the Christian Holocaust."

Hitler targeted Jews, Slavs and Gypsies, who have no ethnicity in common except his own label of "non-Aryan." I don't think most people would appreciate the phrase "the Non-Aryan Holocaust," so we've never tried to expand it beyond the Jews. But when I was in Nish in Serbia, I discovered that--bless their hearts--the Serbs had erected three statues in their park for the victims of the Holocaust: one for the Jews, one for the Serbs and one for the Gypsies. (And they don't even like Gypsies!)
    I don't know about anyone else, but I would at least listen if the Turks would just honestly state the argument I outlined in my earlier post: "We buried our past and created a new country in order to break away from our evil ancestors. One of their evils was this holocaust. We don't feel that we have an obligation to apologize for the evil deeds of ancestors we have disowned for their evil." At that point I think that all parties would be ready to negotiate.
    Turkey will never be accepted into the EU, not for a thousand years, so long as it is a majority-Muslim nation.
    Yeah, now they are becoming just plain stooopid.
    And I think they would take you to task for the use of the word "they." They will say, "That wasn't us! We're the Turks, those were the Ottomans."

18. pjdude1219 The biscuit has risen Valued Senior Member

and they would be disingenuous. hell the ottoman empire contempories reffered to it as the turkish empire or turkey. to pretend that the resident of anatolia under the ottoman empire and turkey are different is bullshit.

19. countezero Registered Senior Member

They did not either. For much of the empire's history, the word "Turk" was a derogatory term applied to Anatolian peasants, which is precisely why the Allies used it in WW1; it was like calling a German a Hun. The denizens preferred to call themselves Ottomans. Not until the founding of the Republic and Ataturk's famous statement about what a thing it was to be Turkish did the worm turn on that phrase.

20. mordea Registered Senior Member

No they didn't. No wonder the Turks are reluctant to admit to indiscretions committed by some members of long gone generations, when the world would hold them accountable for the sins of the great-grandfathers.

What, they aren't allowed to hold their own opinion on historical events? Since when did you have a monopoly on truth?

21. baftan ******* Valued Senior Member

So were Ottoman mentality (I am not saying the official Ottoman policy!) right on calling some of their subjects with " derogatory names (Turks), also were they also right on killing -or causing the deaths of- some of its other subjects (Armenians)? Above all, how does new Turkish mentality (established by Anatolian peasants) has defended this self righteousness up until now, and on what basis?

I can think of only one kind of analogy for this situation: Imagine a culture, a mentality which strictly forbids to analyse, discuss or criticize one's own family matters with strangers. So father kills people, rapes, gambles, call his own family members with derogatory names, beats them up and one day father gets soo sick that his son had to kill him for the sake of the family.

Then other people (those who are not members of the family) starts to question what father did when he was alive. And son, even being well aware of the full scale terror of his father starts to defend him! His only explanation is "because he was my father".

Obviously no one can get a sensible principle, logical conclusion or anything else out of this cycle: He was his father, that's all...

22. GeoffP Caput gerat lupinum Valued Senior Member

woo woo

So why not a link? Am I supposed to do your work for you now, too?

Actually, I've got your position nailed down quite well: you think the Genocide was inexcusable, yet want to colour the censuring thereof by the more recent past and the present. I've asked you several times to cement specifically what you think should occur, but you prefer to hike yourself up on a cross. As you will.

And my point was: who the fuck cares if he's been there? What the hell does that have to do with anything, including the validity of his actions? This is getting ridiculous.

Because the Turks and Armenians are listening to me. I see.

Oh dear! The Turks are going to ignore me? If only they'd done so much for the Armenians about 90 years ago.

And you think I'm taking this debate - or whatever it is - personally? Have you read your posts lately? You've backed yourself into some kind of absurd corner, snarling and hissing. Why?

I forget: is Vienna in Turkey or Austria?

Are you kidding? We're discussing a genocide of people who are not Turkish, here. And it's the Turk's feelings I need to worry about? How about we do this: balance up the deaths on either side, then take up a sympathetic position for each side based on the proportion of casualties that have occurred. Sound fair? I'll have my "Turkish Minute" later this evening.

I ignored the whining about my having taken come to an objective conclusion about the issue.

Tell you what: when you become remotely more concerned about the fact of the genocide than that Erdogan's moustache might quiver with indignation for a moment, I'll answer your question. Context is everything: no?

23. Bells Staff Member

Do you think those concerns are valid in light of the crimes committed?

Should we excuse people of their crimes because they might have to pay compensation of it if they admit to it?

So in respecting their "politics", we should allow them to deny that it even occurred? In other words, we need to abide by their delicate sensibilities and not recognise it as a genocide because they might get upset?

The "other party" refuses to acknowledge that there ever was an "issue". They have denied that the "issue" even happened. What part of that don't you quite comprehend?

It is akin to Nazi Holocaust deniers saying that it never happened. We know it happened. We have proof that it happened. Turkey, as a State, has no right to demand that other countries not deny a fact in history. Turkey, has no right to bully or threaten reprisals against Armenians living within her borders because other States recognise the Armenian genocide. They have done it in the past with every country that has recognised it as such and they are doing it again. Now, frankly, if they want to deny a fact in history, so be it. But they have no right to bully other countries into denying that fact.

I would suggest you go back and read the facts of what actually occurred before, during and after the genocide. Are you telling me that loading women and children onto barges and then deliberately sinking them at sea in massive numbers is not an attempt at extermination? How about gathering villagers togeter in one place and setting the people on fire en masse? How about mass killings, hanging and beheading of abled bodied Armenian men? How about then deliberately gathering the rest who had failed to die in mass burnings, mass drownings and mass shootings, who were then made to march across the frigging desert and denied any water or food until they starved to death en masse (if they weren't murdered by the soldiers first)...? You're telling me that does not show an intent to exterminate them? The intent was to exterminate them. Their intent was as clear as their actions, something that even Hitler, of all people, recognised. That intent was clearly forwarned by the Adana massacre.

I am basing any view I may have on you based solely on what you have said in this thread. If you don't like how I view you based on your words, then I would suggest you revise your words.

So recognising the deaths of the Armenians was frivolous? I see. That is interesting, to say the least.

If Turkey wanted to work with the Armenians about how to assess the "issue", any State, be it the US or any other State in the world recognising it as a genocide should have no bearing on Turkey's apparent wish to deal with the "issue". In other words, if Turkey was intent on dealing with this, they would not have let yet another country correctly categorising it as a genocide affect their intent and their desire to deal with it.

I actually was not scoffing. I would suggest you do not object your views onto me, thank you very much. I think it is great if they are working with the Armenians in their community to deal with the "issue". However, if their intent and their desire was to deal with it, they would not have retracted and threatened to deport 100,000 Armenians from Turkey because another 2 States have recognised it as a genocide.

The sarcasm of my statement escaped you somewhat, hasn't it?

It is actually labeled as the 'Armenian Genocide', the 'Greek Genocide' and the 'Assyrian Genocide' respectively. If we were to label it as the 'Christian Genocide' we would have to ask which one.

I see. I guess you are taking the John Howard stance against recognising the stolen generation issue with the Aboriginals in Australia. The 'it wasn't me' argument. At least Howard did not deny that it even occurred. Turkey has not only denied it, but until very recently, made it illegal for anyone to even mention it in public.

How can a country deny that a genocide occurred in its history? It is historical fact. How can a country then go on and demand that other countries not recognise a genocide? Again, it is historical fact that has been verified and witnessed.

I disagree. But the issue of the Armenian genocide will remain a massive thorn up its proverbial backside in their attempts to gain entry to the EU, unless they actually recognise that it happened.

Who were their forefathers...

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!