Is a Bachelor of Science degree in Biology useless?

Discussion in 'Biology & Genetics' started by jnc1110, Jun 25, 2009.

1. GeoffP Caput gerat lupinum Valued Senior Member

We were easing the pain of impending unemployment.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. DaSci Registered Member

It all depends when you graduated, if you had any bio-related job, and where you live.

I graduated with a degree in biology before the economy went bad. I was lucky that about a year after graduation there were a few places that were looking for bio grads, and I ended up getting a lab position, and worked there for about a year.

When the economy tanked, the funding went bye bye, and eventually so did my job. The people that were in my graduating class that I'm good friends with werent so lucky. Most found nothing after graduation and had to take any job they could. I became like them after 2008. There were no more bio-related jobs in my area (or even nearby areas).

Those who graduated long before who were able to squeeze in many years of working experience in bio have better odds, but pickings are slim. After many years of searching and applying, I consider my bio degree useless as do many of my former classmates. Right now I'm working in a job that I could have done if I dropped out of high school. Last year I eventually gave up looking, because its been a half a decade, so there is no point.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. youreyes amorphous ocean Valued Senior Member

To the O.P of this thread, your efforts and love for biology will pay off if you let your passion come to fruition. Which companies or labs have you thus applied for? It has thus been 3 years since you posted this, has your situation improved? A place like Hawaii would be perfect for biology major.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.