Is Alien Invasion Plausible?

Discussion in 'SciFi & Fantasy' started by RHaden, Sep 5, 2006.

1. RHaden Registered Senior Member

I've decided to put this thread here in the "SciFi" category, since it involves serious speculation.

There literally has been a ton of alien-invasion stories over the years, whether in print or on film. However, relatively few of them seem to have been serious efforts involving logical extrapolation. What I'm wondering is, could there be a plausible alien invasion? Some more specific questions include:

1. What reason(s) or motivation(s) would the aliens have for coming here in the first place?
    2. What assumptions are necessary for them and/or their technology?
    3. What type(s) of tactics would the aliens use in their invasion?
    4. Could there be any real way to repel the aliens?

I have plenty of my own thoughts here, but I would like to see some others post theirs first before joining with my own. Serious replies only, please.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. What reason(s) or motivation(s) would the aliens have for coming here in the first place?

None. Absolutely not a single one. Other than the oil, obviously. Aliens would have singularly zero interest in this world in these kind of terms. Scientific interest, there's a whole biosphere of reasons wanting to take a closer peek at that, non of which would be of concern to humanity in the slightest - but the old Alien Invasion schtick really is a horse that's not so much been flogged to death so much as deceased because it was bored boneless...

What assumptions are necessary for them and/or their technology?

Anyones you like. That's about the only purpose Aliens serve for anyone, speculating about technology.

What type(s) of tactics would the aliens use in their invasion?

Seriously? Full scale take over? Bomb the planet with meteorites from orbit, sod off to do a few other worlds, come back when the dust has settled. Whole sale clear out, everything has gone.

Could there be any real way to repel the aliens?

None. Other than susceptibility to terrestrial disease, technologically speaking nothing would leave so much as a dent

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Sgal Principessa Registered Senior Member

There is probably not going to be an alien invasion because Hollywood in the first place just wants to make money and the plots are better if the aliens are scary instead of friendly. The only reason people would think there will be an alien attack is because of movies and films promoting it. They spread the fear.
    The only reason aliens would want to come here is to either help us or take over earth.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Novacane Registered Senior Member

Double Western Bacon Cheeseburgers. Aliens love the 'Double Western Bacon Cheeseburgers'. They can fly in Carl's Jr., park their spacecraft and grab a Double Western Bacon Cheeseburger, coke and some fries, then head back out into deep space again. That's why we have some many UFO reports and sightings all over the U.S.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

Last edited: Sep 5, 2006
  8. TimeTraveler Immortalist Registered Senior Member

Yeah but if aliens were going to invade they'd just take over, you wouldnt know, you'd simply drop dead.

Let's face it, if the aliens are advanced enough, you won't even be able to put up a fight, they'd just send an alien virus to infect you and you'll die, or they'll put their genes in the virus and infect you and take over the earth in human bodies. The whole point is, if you want to worry about alien invasions, convince humans to stop fighting each other and maybe we'd stand a chance.

9. Prince_James Plutarch (Mickey's Dog) Registered Senior Member

1. What reason(s) or motivation(s) would the aliens have for coming here in the first place?

Resources, slaves, strategic value of the planet itself, genetic resources.

2. What assumptions are necessary for them and/or their technology?

At least on par with us plus FTL or extremely rapid STL travel-capable ships.

3. What type(s) of tactics would the aliens use in their invasion?

Any number. Internal subversion of the Earth's religious and political institutions could be the easiest way to get a foothold, but if they want to say to hell with subtlety, they could quickly take out the major population centres before securing the tactically important regions and then seeking out and exterminating the rest of us.

4. Could there be any real way to repel the aliens?

Yes. Nuclear weapons, biological weapons, chemical weapons, guerilla tactics. Purposeful nuclear contamination of large swathes of the Earth. Possibly the purposeful detonation of a super volcano through ground-penetrating nuclear weapons repeatedly striking the caldera until massive pressure release.

Many of these tactics would be just as bad for us as for them, but it could force them to leave, and let us at least live in the waste of what we once had as free men.

10. RHaden Registered Senior Member

Did you miss the part where I said "Serious replies only, please"? Or did you simply choose to ignore it? Either way, with all due respect, your comments add nothing to the discussion at hand. :bugeye:

11. RHaden Registered Senior Member

Well, I was working on a long reply, but the power went out and I lost everything.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

For now, let me say that I think there'd be two main reasons why aliens would invade Earth: to supplant us or to eliminate us as a threat. What I don't quite understand is why they would have to come here if there were so many other "empty" worlds out there. The only thing I can think to explain such a thing is a philosophy of relentless aggression. Does anyone have any other thoughts or ideas? Thanks!

12. spuriousmonkey Banned Banned

What about; for fun!?!

13. Mr.Spock Back from the dead Valued Senior Member

aliens will not invade earth since humans are primitive and stupid.they have no interest in us.

14. Communist Hamster Cricetulus griseus leninus Valued Senior Member

I suppose this thread takes the existence of spacefaring aliens as a given?

15. RHaden Registered Senior Member

That's correct.

16. spuriousmonkey Banned Banned

Let's hope they are not americans.

17. Mr.Spock Back from the dead Valued Senior Member

they do exicst.wether u like it or not.

18. spuriousmonkey Banned Banned

I guess it depends on if they are christians or not.

19. Mr.Spock Back from the dead Valued Senior Member

this claims is silly.they dont really care about our views of the world.

20. Nasor Valued Senior Member

Maybe there aren’t a lot of “interesting” worlds for the aliens. Perhaps this is the only world that they can easily travel to that they would have an interest in invading.

21. spuriousmonkey Banned Banned

If God (or doG) created the universe he also created the aliens. Hence they must be Christians.

Genesis 1
    1 ¶ In the beginning God created the heavens and the earth;

22. Mr.Spock Back from the dead Valued Senior Member

god did not created heaven and earth.he created the sky and then the earth.your translation is not accurate.actually earth does not refer to the planet but to land.

23. spuriousmonkey Banned Banned

You cannot question the words of our dear Lord.