Is Buddhism a Failure?

Discussion in 'Religion Archives' started by S.A.M., May 9, 2009.

1. wynn ˙ Valued Senior Member

Oh? Then you'd have to have lobotomies over and over again, in each rebirth!

So you think that pleasure is impossible without suffering?

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Tyler Registered Senior Member

Spidergoat's comments notwithstanding, if you think Buddhism is "escapist" you've missed the point.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

Quite possibly.

Pain is a signal that something is wrong. If you are oblivious to pain, you've cut off a major portion of what makes you human.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. wynn ˙ Valued Senior Member

Well, then lobotomy isn't a solution to suffering, is it?

But Buddhist practitioners are not oblivious to pain. 'Suffering is to be understood' is a motto. There are different ways of understanding suffering, different ways of understanding how come suffering happens.

8. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

The way I see it Buddhism would appeal to those who are tired of suffering. Its self selecting that way.

9. wynn ˙ Valued Senior Member

Who isn't tired of suffering? Oh well, I suppose there are some.

10. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

I think for most people suffering is essential. All the drama of human existence is built around suffering.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

11. (Q) Encephaloid Martini Valued Senior Member

Your worldview on events are imaginary, Sam. But, I'm sure even another 50,000 posts later, and you still won't get that.

12. (Q) Encephaloid Martini Valued Senior Member

Sam continually bleats such nonsense, even though she doesn't believe her own lies.

13. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

You're an outlier. You think mourning means putting the pictures of dead friends on a wall and toasting them.

14. wynn ˙ Valued Senior Member

'All that we suffer is all that we are'?

A succesful religion is one that keeps its adherents in the cycle of suffering?

There is no soul, no heaven, nothing to attain, no God, there are just these material bodies and the suffering that comes with them, period?

15. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

Human endeavor does not peak under ennui, but under challenges. A successful religion is one that allows people to struggle and allows them to set goals that make their suffering meaningful. Its like the sportsman who trains for a championship. His pain is a milestone, not a hurdle. It tells him how far he has advanced, not how he should get over it.

16. (Q) Encephaloid Martini Valued Senior Member

Sometimes, like this time, it's usually better to nod agreeably and slowly walk away from Sam.

17. wynn ˙ Valued Senior Member

I agree. But not that I think that this is how it should be.

How come you posted this here? Do you think this monk suffered when he immolated himself?

18. wynn ˙ Valued Senior Member

Would you say that a successful religion should have no notions of the end of suffering at all (ie. no notions of heaven or states of bliss)?

19. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

No idea. But do you think it would be a big deal if he died in his sleep?

That would not work, in my opinion. Every human being wants a goal and moksha is such a pleasant thing to look forward to.

Does it matter if you call it heaven, death or release? The end of suffering is the surest fate of all.

20. (Q) Encephaloid Martini Valued Senior Member

Yes, to call it 'heaven' postulates not an end to suffering, but only the beginning of eternal suffering.

21. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

Thats only if you're a whacky atheist who believes in hell without believing in God.

22. wynn ˙ Valued Senior Member

As far as I know, he immolated himself as a protest against the war, and this wasn't the only case of such a self-immolation.

As I mentioned in my first post in this thread, #100, Buddhism's philosophy is intricate, not always easy to understand or relate to. So I would say that monk's self-immolation was 'too intellectualized' a kind of protest for the majority of people to understand. His fellow monks and some of the practitioners certainly understand it and can relate to it. Perhaps his message was actually aimed at them, not the Western governments or the so-called masses.

Oh. But only after the end of this life and not in this life - that is the caveat?

Perhaps. For how many rebirths would you be willing to endure your fate of suffering?

23. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

Again, would it be a big deal if he had died in his sleep, maybe with poison?

A goal must needs be at the end of an endeavor. People like to have a goalpost.

I don't believe in rebirth.

But if they were possible, why not? Nothing wrong with second chances. Or a third. Or a fourth. Who doesn't like do overs?