Is Christianity a Great religion?

Discussion in 'Religion' started by Saint, Nov 5, 2013.

1. (Q) Encephaloid Martini Valued Senior Member

Because, the violence of Christianity was caused in the name of Christianity by whoever called themselves Christians.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. R1D2 many leagues under the sea. Valued Senior Member

There's good and bad in all things. " man" has corrupted many things. The basis of chritanity is love imo. Love is the base of most religions imo as well as accpeptance an evil. A "ying/yang" thang. Christianity has that as well. But love is what I see as the base of chritianity. Man has free will or free choice. And some chose hate and evil ways imo. My spell checker is down so please forgive my errors. That's the other thing I take from the bible is forgivness. So most religions are good. Its god that said you shall have no other. God before me. And most run along the same lines religions imo are more similar and good then they are evil.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Mazulu Banned Banned

Christians lived in violent times. Christians were a product of the violence of the Romans, the Gauls, and hundreds of other tribes that spread bloodshed throughout the world. In today's world, Christians don't cause violence. They spread the Word on radio, TV and voice of mouth. We are fortunate to live during a time period where violence is rare.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Hapsburg Hellenistic polytheist Valued Senior Member

Having violence committed upon oneself and one's fellows is never an excuse to commit violence upon others. Christianity began as very much a religion of civil disobedience to Roman oppression. If you wish to continue Christianity as a religion of peace, it does you no good to deny the violence committed in the name of Christianity, by Christians. You have to confront it and repudiate it. Making excuses for it does not help you and does not help your religion's credibility.

I mean, my religion has had its fair share of mistakes. Its prominent members have said stupid things, done stupid things. But I'm not going to make excuses for it and justify it. I'm going to criticise them for it. I'm going to point out those flaws and mistakes, to try to help make my religion better and more honest.

8. Mazulu Banned Banned

I agree that Christianity as the only path is a source of stress for a lot of non-Christians. I don't know if it was claimed by Jesus, or if it was added by Constantine, or some popes.

9. Mazulu Banned Banned

We live in a very non-violent time in history (thank God). Philosophical differences are settled by debate. It wasn't like that during ancient times, the dark ages or the middle ages. National lines were very fluid back then, and were protected by fortresses and armies. If Christianity didn't attack the Muslims, then Islam would be the dominant world religion.

10. (Q) Encephaloid Martini Valued Senior Member

Much of it, they created.

Got any evidence for that claim?

That's because we have laws that don't allow Christians to burn us at the stake anymore.

11. wegs Matter and Pixie Dust Valued Senior Member

A voice of reason, this is an excellent post.

12. Mazulu Banned Banned

Why yes I do. Jesus the Christ was crucified by the Romans.

Were you burned at the stake?

13. Mazulu Banned Banned

There is still good in Christianity. Although the religion will have to adapt to a higher level of consciousness.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

14. (Q) Encephaloid Martini Valued Senior Member

That is not evidence for your claim.

No, but many were in the name of Jesus. Are you proud of that Christian heritage?

15. (Q) Encephaloid Martini Valued Senior Member

Ah yes, let's change the religion to suit the times. It's all about what people want to believe.

16. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

It is actually. Christianity appropriated all sorts of things from pagan culture. The trinity, cherubs, christmas trees, the solstice, bunnies with eggs...

17. wellwisher Banned Banned

In the 4th century AD, Christianity became the official religion of Rome. Rome was not the official secular of Christianity, since Rome was the top dog in this relationship. Christianity changed to suit the needs of a pinnacle world empire. The new composite church was part Christianity and part secular, with Rome noted for allowing the practice of local customs since it made the peoples of its empire easier to govern. This is still a trade mark of the catholic church; recognize local Saints and customs. It is not about nanny state.

Rome proper, disappears during the Dark Ages, but lived on through the Church; Latin and Holy Roman empire. The Roman aspect of the composite retied some of that kick ass and take no prisoners attitude, which led to some of the darker times of the church.

About the time of the age of the enlightenment and Martin Luther, the composite church begins to split and differentiate with Christianity and the Rome elements separating, with purer original forms of the Christianity and a modern Rome secular also appearing.

To understand Christianity and its history you need to normalize out Rome.

18. Arcadian Registered Member

Nope ! As of today, Christianity brought wars, conflicts. The same for the other religions. I do not think that murdering scientists because they found out that the religion isn't right on a subject is fair.

» Arcadian

19. arauca Banned Banned

I don't know what are you implying, Most of the war were economy based , except if you want to think Muslim invasion into Europe. Christin crusade started by protecting pilgrims to Jerusalem. The Napoleonic war did not have anything to do with religion . The colonization of of Africa and Asia were economy based.

20. Hapsburg Hellenistic polytheist Valued Senior Member

Most are meant to. Religions are meant to be able to adapt, to change; it's how they can have any kinds of staying power or relevance.
    The only people that insist otherwise are hardline fanatics, or those that wish to see them collapse under the weight of change. Both are ideological, rather than practical, approaches.

21. R1D2 many leagues under the sea. Valued Senior Member

Trinity? what's your proof of that? Curios is all never heard that angle....

22. wegs Matter and Pixie Dust Valued Senior Member

It comes from the NT. The word itself isn't used...but, God is looked at as a triune God --> Father, Son and Holy Spirit.

23. Mazulu Banned Banned

From a purely logical and unsympathetic outlook, you could treat people like Ghengis Khan did. You certainly don't strike me as a compassionate person.