Is consciousness to be found in quantum processes in microtubules?

Discussion in 'Pseudoscience' started by Write4U, Sep 8, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Write4U Valued Senior Member

Not unless they are programmed by experience. Babies have the potential for intelligence. Babies are "learning organisms" which do not yet have the ability to apply skills and are totally dependent on external assistance.
    Come to think of it, without the help of bacteria humans could not survive either. Humans are a microbiome.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Biome
    Yes, according to people who made IT.
    Note: Sophia is not female, it is a machine. (See how easy it is? And how trivial!)

If you would read the accompanying links, it would surely lessen your confusion as to the thrust of my posits.

According to the manufacturer, David Hanson, Sophia uses artificial intelligence, visual data processing and facial recognition.

The AI program analyses conversations and extracts data that allows it to improve responses in the future

It's an "intelligent agent".

Leading AI textbooks define the field as the study of "intelligent agents": any device that perceives its environment and takes actions that maximize its chance of successfully achieving its goals.

A properly programmed AI will recharge itself when running low on fuel, a baby will just cry. A properly programmed AI will be able to move and perform chores, a baby just lies there.

A Roomba dust collector is functionally smarter than a baby, for a little while at least.

Last edited: Oct 25, 2019
  2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Write4U Valued Senior Member

The question is if AI can acquire "consciousness" without microtubules. Can we develop artificial microtubules?

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Bells Staff Member

Goodbye!

Adult tantrums are the best..

Not even 15 minutes later....

Hello again!

You did not read the article, did you?

Babies are not programmed.

From the article you clearly did not bother to read:

Babies and children construct theories about the world around them using the same approach scientists use to construct scientific theories. They explore and test their environment and the people in it with a systematic and experimental effort that is crucial to learning.

Gopnik recently worked with a team of researchers to demonstrate how children as young as 15 months old can learn cause-effect relationships using statistical data better than older children. Babies and young children may be better learners because their brains are more flexible or “plastic”; they are less tainted by pre-existing knowledge, which allows them to be more open-minded. Brains are not unchanging, but rather modify with every learning experience.

By combining expertise from developmental psychologists and computational scientists, humans may be able to unlock how the brains of the best learners in the world work and translate that computational power into a machine. Currently, AI requires mass amounts of data to extract patterns and conclusions. But babies, who have comparatively little data about the world around them, use a statistical evaluation called Bayesian learning. That is, an interpretation isn't based on the known frequency of an outcome — information that babies don't have — but instead on inferring the probability based on current knowledge, which adjusts continually as new information is received.

“The amazing thing about babies is they can see something once or hear a new word for the first time and they already have a good idea of what that new word could mean and how they could use that new word,” says Gopnik. “So these kind of Bayesian approaches have been good in explaining why children are so good at learning even when they don’t even have much data.”

Babies use the probabilistic model to create a variety of hypotheses by combining probabilities and possibilities to draw conclusions
    . ​

No programming involved.

It's not what they learn or know that makes them so intelligent. It is how they learn.

Unlike an AI which has to have massive amounts of data input to allow them to come up with probabilities or even recognise simple patterns, babies do that without being taught to.

Oookaayyy...

This comes from where now?

Okay?

I think most people would understand what I meant without nitpicking semantics. But here we are.

Anywho...

And to do all of that, massive amounts of data input is involved.

A baby is able to do what no AI can do and do it quickly, with very little information.

Had you bothered to read the article I linked, you'd have seen this quite succinctly.

Your pet cat is smarter than any AI that has currently been designed.

As for Sophia, the answers it gave is simply because it was programmed to give those particular answers.

It's answers are similar to chat bots - go to some websites and a chat bot will ask if you have any questions or queries about a product or service. It's not AI or even close to it. It's just programmed to give fairly set responses for any scenario.
    Microtubules aside, the answer is probably not.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Write4U Valued Senior Member

Yes, and what about newborn babies? By your very posit here they are born stupid and until they have "experience" they are "stupid". Roombas are "born" able to vacuum your floor, they're born "smart" and can find their way around the floor very neatly, just like a Paramecium....

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

Here is a case where you are being slippery, wheras you very well know what I meant by the comparison.

8. Write4U Valued Senior Member

9. Write4U Valued Senior Member

What? Very little information, are you crazy??
    Humans absorb trillions of bits of sensory information per second every waking moment, from the moment of birth.
    That's why we have billions of microtubules in the brain, to process all that information coming into our senses.

OTOH, an AI can plug into the internet in 1 second and have most of the world's information at instant disposal. It's got a ready made billion "processing sites", instead of microtubules.

Perhaps we'll end up with a global AI.......

10. Write4U Valued Senior Member

This is a objective look at consciousness and its possible causes.

If consciousness is an emergent result of a neural network, what parts of the neuron are available in sufficient quantity throughout the body that could qualify for the fundamental structure what comprises the processors, which allow for an emergent consciousness, the "hard problem" ?

This is why I would have chosen microtubules as a viable candidate regardless of any pre-existing hypothesis. Hameroff is the scientist who not only uncovered the existence of microtubules to me, but offered a credible explanation why microtubules in the brain could function as the critical computing center of the neural network and the possible seat of emergent consciousness. They are everywhere in "dynamic" form, but also as "fixed" structures, which might lend themselves as memory modules.

One look at a microtubule reveals the beautiful efficient structure which is consistent regardless of the complicated and convoluted network they actually create, maintain, and actively use to process information, such as copying DNA for mitosis. Copying? Is that not a computer process?

Structures and Functions of Microtubules
    "Building blocks" of microtubules - tubulins

This is why I would have chosen microtubules as a viable candidate regardless of any pre-existing hypothesis. Hameroff is the scientist who not only uncovered the existence of microtubules to me, but offered a credible explanation why microtubules could function as the critical computing centers of the neural network. They are everywhere in the exact dynamic form and also as fixed nano structures.

One look at a microtubule reveals the beautiful efficient structure which is consistent regardless of the complicated and convoluted network they actually create, maintain, and actively use to process information.

This is beginning to look like an electronic circuit.

https://www.ruf.rice.edu/~bioslabs/studies/invertebrates/microtubules.html

What is the main "known" function of microtubules?
    https://sciencing.com/main-function-microtubules-cell-8552402.html

So, using Hameroff's quoting Sherlock Holmes' famous saying, "when you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth?

Might that logical reduction apply in this case?

11. Bells Staff Member

You literally did not read the link, did you?

Once again.. Read and try to comprehend:

“The amazing thing about babies is they can see something once or hear a new word for the first time and they already have a good idea of what that new word could mean and how they could use that new word,” says Gopnik. “So these kind of Bayesian approaches have been good in explaining why children are so good at learning even when they don’t even have much data.”

Can they deliver my pizza too?

And it needs to be programmed to do so. It needs to have the requisite software to be able to operate. It needs commands and instructions.

Maybe it's time for you to stop watching so much sci-fi and start dealing with reality a bit more.

If someone sticks a plug up your nose and starts programming your brain with various pre-set answers for you to give at specific questions, would you consider that "on the fly" programming?

Go to certain shopping cites that use a chatbot and then ask yourself if they are evolving when they respond to your queries. That is Sophia. A chatbot with a human styled face.

Where did I say 'they are born stupid'?

Far from it, I pointed out that the intelligence of babies is measured by how they learn, not what they learn. They are intelligent because of how they quickly and innately process information without being taught to do so. Understand now?

For example, a baby is able to learn sign language by the time they are 6 months and they can effectively communicate by sign language by 6 months.

Do you need me to copy you and put it into giant bold, coloured font for you to understand?

I see you have been making use of your single celled organism word of the day calendar..

Yes, because the little cleaner you take out of of the box is born when you turn it on and it learns as it goes, ignoring the fact that it is programmed to do it...

If you take a Roomba and wipe it's programming, it will sit there. And not "learn" when you turn it on. It cannot function without its programming and and very specific software.

12. James R Just this guy, you know? Staff Member

Okay, I'll concede that Penrose is a physicist. He's a theoretical physicist. What that means is that some of his ideas are theoretical speculations and extrapolations, not empirically verified. Quantum data processing in microtubules is one of those ideas.

It's one thing to only consider the critics. It's another to only consider the people who support the Penrose-Hameroff hypothesis.

A critical thinker retains an open mind on topics like this one. For myself, I can only say that I'm not at all convinced, at this stage, that any valuable data processing actually goes on in microtubules. Also, I'm not currently aware of any solid empirical evidence that microtubules do carry out quantum data processing of any kind. I'm also unaware of any plausible mechanism by which quantum events at the level of microtubules could possibly affect the functioning of nerves or brains on a more macroscopic level - i.e. the level at which the actual data processing in brains seems to occur.

What I regularly see from you is (a) your regular injection of the topic of microtubules into unrelated discussions, like you're advertising or preaching the idea that has captured your imagination, regardless of its relevance, and (b) your rather wild extrapolation from what is known about microtubules to all sorts of macroscopic implications (vis. hive minds and the like). My impression is that your enthusiam for the idea tends to blind you to its probable shortcomings. You act like somebody who thinks he's discovered The Answer to consciousness and the like, and you've made yourself an evangelist for that Answer. I think you lack the cautious and skeptical approach of most scientists.

I am doubly suspicious of the ORCH OR hypothesis precisely because it so excites followers of people like Deepak Chopra and his fellow woovians. It seems to me that there's a kind of subculture around this - people who have taken what was initially put forward as pure speculation in Penrose's book The Emperor's New Mind and run away with it, drawing all kinds of conclusions that simply are not supported by real-world results.

I could turn out to be completely wrong, of course. Maybe this idea will pan out in the long run after all. But its proponents have a long way to go to make a convincing case to the general scientific community. I'm not about to get all enthused about what is, after all, a rather extraordinary claim, unless and until the requisite extraordinary evidence to back it up comes to light.

Write4U likes this.
  13. Write4U Valued Senior Member

I literally did read the link.
    I also was present when my daughter "discovered" her hands and made an intentional movement. It took her a few minutes to get some form of coordination. It was a highlight of parenthood.

And if a baby has a form of "memory" which is activated at birth, it would argue for the existence of a neural network which has transferred some information during gestation, it would be as easy as transferring data from computer to computer..

Actually I doubt that because if a person has been locked away for years they certainly have not gained any knowledge. and according to your suggestion, knowledge should be inherent but it is proven that knowledge MUST be acquired.
    I believe this is due to microtubular catastrophe.
    Oh yes, get a drone, enter a GPS coordinate and it will deliver your pizza, scan you credit card and whish you "bon appetit", and return "home" to the pizzaria.
    Of course, as do all delivery systems. You need to be able to read a map (or rely on a GPS computer...)
    Maybe you are behind the times. Sci-Fi is constantly proving to be prescient.
    No, that's programming. This is copied in human learning by rote. On the fly learning is assimilating new information while executing a programmed command.
    Then why did you address IT as a HER? A female chatbox?
    You didn't. You did say they start learning the moment they're born which means they are born stupid. They know nothing at the moment they are born. Until that time they have been parasite floating in a liquid in total darkness. It is possible that audible sounds may have registered, but my point is that 'learning" starts after birth, not before, unless there is indeed a copying of information as well as cells! Microtubules.

If they were born with developed intelligence why not get up and start walking directly after being born? Are fawn intelligent because they can walk with the herd in just a some 20 minutes.! Now that's fast learning.
    Oh yes, I understand. Here is that fawn learning to walk, from gathering the physical strength, to the mathematically balanced technique of rising without falling over, a feat that will take a baby a few years to learn.
    These hardwired survival programs are present to a degree in every living thing that has evolved dependent on its environment.
    But it has to be executed in the real world before it is "intelligent behavior". That's the "on-the -fly learning" to execute knowledge and the fight or flight program.

Yesss!....and Lemurs can count as fast as humans at all ages!
    Yes, that's where it starts. A single cell dividing itself into two cells. MITOSIS is the original biological proto intelligent computation. A remarkable feat of (quasi) intelligence. Every Eukaryotic and some Prokaryotic cells in the world, from single celled bacteria to human cells, have a common denominator which manages their cell division. Microtubules.

Yes, because the little cleaner you take out of of the box is born when you turn it on and it learns as it goes, ignoring the fact that it is programmed to do it...
    And if I give a person a lobotomy, It'll just sit there also and not learn when It is awake.

Why do you keep comparing Human intelligence with Artificial Intelligence in a discussion of consciousness? The ability to experience emotional states.
    This is the Hard problem: "You don't have to be smart to feel pain, but you probably have to be alive" (Anil Seth)

AI does NOT employ microtubules. Humans and almost every biologically complex organisms do!

14. Write4U Valued Senior Member

I agree, there is sparse evidence. But I find the concept most agreeable.

I make no distinction between human or any other living organism. I try to find "common denominators which are essential in the maintenance of a complex biological organism such as humans. IMO, that is a fundamental requirement for the emergence and evolution of the many conscious and intelligent abilities and behaviors abundant in nature from a "common" ancestor.

Humans themselves are subject to another part of the biome, the bacteria. They also have a communication system called "quorum sensing", a form of mathematical chemical action synchronization. Bacteria also have a simpler version of Microtubules. They're everywhere.
    https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3232192/

What possible argument can be raised against the "concept" without addressing the question with generous resources, instead of outright rejection for some trivial detail?

I also agree with Tegmark that ultimately a universe which has inherent self-referential information sharing (Bohm's Implicate and Explicate order), must be of a mathematical nature. And that would simplify matters considerably and the Microtubule might well be the "little machine that could".
    A neat little physical pattern that can produce mathematical computation, and sufficiently equiped for duplicating biological chemistry, given sufficient resources.

15. Write4U Valued Senior Member

Continuing our quest.
    https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2014/01/140116085105.htm

Please note that I stay away from the more esoteric interpretations. I want to concentrate only on the physical phenomena that may give rise to an emergent consciousness.

16. Write4U Valued Senior Member

And a nice neutral hopeful posit.
    The need for a physical basis of cognitive process: Comment on “Consciousness in the universe. A review of the ‘Orch OR’ theory” (Jack A.Tuszynski)
    https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S1571064513001553

and this critique, while illustrating the expected mechanisms for "information processing" in the brain and throughout the body.

On the quantum theory of consciousness

https://mappingignorance.org/2015/06/17/on-the-quantum-theory-of-consciousness/

But the "warm, wet, noisy " systems have been addressed, at least partially?

Last edited: Oct 26, 2019
  17. James R Just this guy, you know? Staff Member

Write4U:

Here's an example of the sort of wild extrapolation that I take issue with:
    Now, tell me what evidence you have that links brain damage in stressed children to "microtubular catastrophe", if you can.

You say this is your belief, so I assume it's based on something concrete, rather than just a wishful thought that it might have something to do with your pet topic.

18. Write4U Valued Senior Member

Can we acknowledge that "sensory" or other kinds of "deprivation" is harmful to brain development?

Brain Scans Show The Effects Extreme Neglect Has On Child’s Brain
    By Evolve | Jul 10, 2019

https://evolve.shared.com/brain-scans-show-the-effects-extreme-neglect-has-on-childs-brain/
    It is obvious that there is a marked difference in brain development.

IF microtubules are responsible for processing information, then the absence of information or some physical deprivation (such as diet) may well be responsible for the degrading and eventual catastrophe of the parts of the brain which do the processing, resulting in the picture above.
    From the OP perspective, is this sufficient evidence to warrant a probative statement by me?

Assuming that microtubules are the seat of intelligent consciousness, can we acknowledge that detrimental input of information to brain could be responsible for underdevelopment or catastrophic destruction of microtubules?

From a perspective of consciousness, detrimental brain input is a different experience than detrimental input in some unconscious information processor, but both should result in damage to the normal function.
    That is the definition of the term "detrimental".

19. Write4U Valued Senior Member

What causes catastrophic microtubule failure?

Microtubule Catastrophe and Rescue

Microtubule catastrophe: an aging process
    https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3556214/figure/F3/

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3556214/

That would account for normal deterioration of brain function at old age. If so can we delay the process?

20. James R Just this guy, you know? Staff Member

No. It's pure speculation. You don't even get to first base in establishing that microtubules are responsible for processing information. The rest is then a flight of fancy.

Again, you haven't got to first base. I see no reason to make the assumption you want to make, and even if we did, there'd be a lot of steps between that and "microtubular catastrophy" being caused by a stressful home environment.

---
    There's very little point in this kind of speculation piled upon assumption piled upon wishful thinking.

To give you an analogy, take the person who believes UFOs are alien visitors. That person says "Aliens made the crop circle in my uncle's field!" So I ask "What evidence do you have that aliens caused the crop circle?" And the person replies "Well, if we assume that UFOs are alien spaceships, and that alien spaceships cause crop circles when they land, then it's logical that the crop circles were most likely made by aliens."

See any problems in that?

21. Write4U Valued Senior Member

Allow me to ask this time if you have read anything about microtubules at all?

Microtubules are involved in all neural activities including building the neural network mechanisms, the transport and dedicated delivery of information trough the neural network, and are the exclusive agent in activating and controlling mitosis.
    In short, the human body runs on microtubules. Nothing wrong with that, we have billions of them......

This link provides statistics of the role microtubules play in the human biome.
    https://www.proteinatlas.org/humanproteome/cell/microtubules

22. James R Just this guy, you know? Staff Member

All neural activities? What happened to the neurotransmitters and the action potentials and the potassium and sodium ions and all that?

Most of the stuff you quote about microtubules emphasises one of two things: their structural role in supporting the cell, or their role in assisting cell division. A lot of what you quote doesn't even mention quantum effects in the microtubules, let alone information processing and the like.

The statement that "the human body runs on microtubules" strikes me as just more fanboy hyperbole from you.

Yazata likes this.
  23. Bells Staff Member

So you know better than the scientists who are studying AI and what they have discovered about how children learn.

You still fail to note that it is the 'how', not the 'what'.

Understand now?

Babies are intelligent not because of what they learn, but how they learn.

You are quoting things without linking to them. I don't even know what you are quoting, nor its source or context or content for that matter.

A scroll down the page sees a link in a different and later response to James, which says absolutely nothing about what you are claiming.

You can believe whatever you want to believe. From where I am sitting you have proven diddly squat and you are peddling woo.

That's nice.

But I was not talking about GPS, maps or a delivery system. I was responding to your comment about something else entirely.

Why are you responding to my quote out of context like this?

How's that hive mind going?

This is not what Sohpia the robot was doing. The questions and answers were pre-programmed. Literally.

Because it had a female name. If it was named Bob, I'd have probably referred to it as he.

Is it really something to get one's panties in a twist over?

I also refer to my car as 'her', because she is a beast of a car and she's alright even when she's not.. But I have stopped short of naming her.

Welp, the light really is dim..

I said, repeatedly and linked that article that also said ... The intelligence of babies stems from how they learn.

Not what they know or learn.

But how they view the world, how they extrapolate information, how they interpret that information and how they analyse the world around them.

What part of that is so hard for you to actually understand?

You claim to understand, but you keep repeating the same bullshit and frankly stupid argument that shows you clearly do not understand.

And by the way, that fawn is also smarter than any AI will ever be.

You also need to read up on some evolutionary biology. Pay particular attention to a mature brain, narrow pelvis and how the human brain evolved to be the size that it is.

And yet, it still cannot deliver my pizza.

The irony of your fit pitching at my referring to Sophia as "she" and "her" and you refer to a person as an "it" because of a lobotomy? Do you refer to people who suffer brain trauma, have brain tumors or have had brain tumors removed, have suffered severe strokes as "it" as well?

It depends on the lobotomy.

Because it is programmed to map the room or house.

It's not "learning". It's mapping the room or house.

I'll give you an example. Take a VR headset. Before you use most of them, you have to 'map' the room or the area. With my son's Rift, that entails holding the hand controllers and carefully walking around the area where he will be using it, so the sensors on the wall map that space. That VR system is not "learning". The Roomba and other such devices do the same thing as what my son is doing when he is mapping the area.

Because you keep bringing it up...

RIP bacteria....

You also stay away from scientific criticisms and studies that disprove it...

That is not what he asked.

Here is what he asked, specifically:

Nothing you have provided is actual evidence that brain damage in stress children is due to "microtubular catastrophe".

You are literally making stuff up.

exchemist likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.