Is consciousness to be found in quantum processes in microtubules?

Discussion in 'Pseudoscience' started by Write4U, Sep 8, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DaveC426913 Valued Senior Member

I wouldn't mind if he kept it in his threads, but he's bringing it into other topics.
    I suspect he'll be using it on Trump next.

exchemist likes this.
  2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Write4U Valued Senior Member

I'm just posting information in the Alternative Theories forum. Anything wrong with that?

Have we become so hypocritical that information from reliable souces (published papers ) is not longer admissible even in AF?

You do realize that whoever places me on ignore, it is you who remains ignorant.....

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. DaveC426913 Valued Senior Member

And the Astronomy forum.

As with Elvis' Parallelochron, ignorance is not always a bad thing.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Write4U Valued Senior Member

Because I made a passing mention of microtubules as an example of the natural occurrence of the Fibonacci Sequence in Astronomy in general and Earth science ? You can't be serious.
    Elvis's parallellochron is the proposition of a single individual without any supporting evidence.
    And I completely disagree with the notion that ignorance is ever a good thing. Unless it was a veiled ad hominem directed at my quest for knowledge......bah!

My desire to draw attention to the importance of microtubules in relation to "brain function" in general and "consciousness" is recognition of the current work by dozens of scientists (Hameroff is but one of many) who are exploring this very concept, with some very promising results. This can be verified by reading the links I provide.

With every observation I make, I always offer links to currently available information from reliable sources and in deference to several requests I am using the proper sub-forum to present my information.
    But never "acceptable" and accompanied by ad hominem from several sources (you who you are) who even have the gall to advise me to stay away from this forum.

Even after I refrained from making any personal comments and just proceded with building a library of available knowledge of microtubules and their indispensible role in living organism as "information processors", to be ridiculed is unjust and prejudicial. I make no claim or take credit that any of this is my theory. My purpose is to draw attention to this very interesting area of scientific inquiry.

To compare this to Asexperia's personal proposal of a Parallellochrony is false in all respects and certainly not an indication of scientific objectivity. This is just plain prejudice, a telling indication of ignorance.

I better stop now before I vent what I really feel.

Last edited: Feb 23, 2020
  8. Write4U Valued Senior Member

continuing our quest;
    Simple, But Powerful’ Model Reveals Mechanism Behind Neuron Development

https://neurosciencenews.com/neuron-development-model-8204/

9. Write4U Valued Senior Member

DaveC426913 likes this.
  10. exchemist Valued Senior Member

I bet he doesn't though.

In a while he'll be back, blithering on as before about micro-sodding-tubules, hive minds, functions and potentials.

11. Write4U Valued Senior Member

Of course it must be said that it is pertinent to the OP question.....

But, we aim to please...

12. exchemist Valued Senior Member

Not in the least, actually.

13. James R Just this guy, you know? Staff Member

Write4U likes this.
  14. Write4U Valued Senior Member

In furtherance of the discussion in "Where do thoughts come from", in the Parapsychology thread.

15. Write4U Valued Senior Member

@ James R,

"Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away." - Philip K. Dick.

True, but also; "you need to believe something before you can see it." - Anil Seth

16. Write4U Valued Senior Member

According to Anil Seth, memory is crucially important in our ability to perceive and make sense of the stream of information entering our conscious processing centers.
    We only experience the world as a stream of elctro/chemical bits of information and it is our memory that matches this information with prior saved information to allow us to "perceive" what we are looking at, or hearing.

Our brain has no direct access to the external world at all and only receives second hand information from which it must make sense, a "best guess".

It occurs to me that the vast areas of the brain which seem relatively dormant is actually the "warehouses" of stored memories which the brain uses to match incoming information. The HD of the brain containing trillions of stored bits and bites, which it uses to construct an internal image from incoming information and is verified visually or auditory in a cycle of "controlled hallucinations".

It is the collective memory which creates the "self" and the self's relationship to the external world as well as to its own body, which allows the self to move about and manipulate things and must be maintained for maximum efficiency.

Every time I watch Seth's lectures (he speaks fast) I seem to understand the process he describes at a little deeper level. For me this is truly a journey of discovery of the mind, the self, and my relationship to the external world.

It also allows me to get deeper insight into animal brains, which must function similar to mine, but oriented to a different, simpler reality than mine. But mammals are by no means primitive. That's reserved for lesser species such as bacteria.

17. Write4U Valued Senior Member

Another example of th brain's attempt to make sense of incoming information.

Credit: David Novick, used with permission

Those of you familiar with my writing already know what’s coming, and you’re right: Those balls in the image are all identical in color and shading.

https://www.syfy.com/syfywire/another-brain-frying-optical-illusion-what-color-are-these-spheres

This is not just a curiosity. It ask how and why does the brain perceive the balls as having different volors.
    The answer is in the "best guess" processing of "relative values" of incoming information which the brain must translate against its stored memory.

18. Write4U Valued Senior Member

This is a perfect example of Anil Seth: "believing is seeing"

That one is by master illusion creator Akiyoshi Kitaoka, and perusing his site is basically a hammer-blow to your perception that "seeing is believing."

This is really an astounding website to test your mind

http://www.ritsumei.ac.jp/~akitaoka/index-e.html

If that is hard to believe, in the left lower corner, cover everything except the single blue and green lines at left bottom. Your mind will be able to experience the same color green. When viewing the entire picture your mind will refuse to match the two spirals. It's best guess is just not good enough, but it is a result of functional processes.

19. Write4U Valued Senior Member

Excellent website with references to the role of microtubules in a host of information processing.

https://www.pnas.org/search/microtubules content_type:journal

Artificial microtubules burst with energy
    https://www.pnas.org/content/114/45/11804

20. C C Consular Corps - "the backbone of diplomacy" Valued Senior Member

Apart from possibly a few aberrant individuals that certain illusions may not affect, it further attests to most humans being equipped with the same "operating system" when it comes perceptual representations (which includes "bad guess" appearances being universal or inter-subjective). We aren't rendering patterns of environmental energies into radically differing materializations of an external world due to acquired variables like language, politics, cultural orientations and group self-interests, etc (postmodern or continental philosophy hyperbole carried to extreme). A shared world has objective aspects which can be abstracted from it, it outruns the individual even if the phenomenal and intellectual evidence for it only has concomitancy with skulls or is produced by brains.

21. Write4U Valued Senior Member

Indeed, as Seth observes when we all agree on our "controlled hallucinations" (best guesses), we call that reality.
    But our perception of self consist of experiential sets of self, such as:

Bodily self
    Perspectival self
    Volitional self
    Narrative self
    Social self.

And any of these selves can come apart and affect the other sets. IOW, the whole is a rather fragile construct, which requires constant monitoring.

This is the short version of Seth's lecture on "Your brain hallucinates your conscious reality". Good stuff.

22. Write4U Valued Senior Member

Another tid-bit.

Microtubules Are Essential for Mitochondrial Dynamics–Fission, Fusion, and Motility–in Dictyostelium discoideum
    https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/27047941

23. Write4U Valued Senior Member

In relation to vision;

Microtubule Imaging Reveals Cytoskeletal Deficit Predisposing the Retinal Ganglion Cell Axons to Atrophy in DBA/2J
    https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC6218151/

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.