Is consciousness to be found in quantum processes in microtubules?

Discussion in 'Pseudoscience' started by Write4U, Sep 8, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. billvon Valued Senior Member

??? He did not. Are you daft?

He asked me what I meant by "atomic." I explained how I was using the term.
    If sodium is not present there is no information processing, either. Therefore, by your logic, consciousness is found in sodium.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. billvon Valued Senior Member

So you ask a question but do not care what the answer is, beyond its potential use to attack me over it.

You are becoming a textbook troll.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Write4U Valued Senior Member

Now you are beginning to understand the grief you have caused me over a span of several months. You are the "science troll". You are a troll because you condemn and sling ad hominems indiscriminately without cause, whereas my criticsm of you is well deserved.

Don't like your own medicine?

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. exchemist Valued Senior Member

You are mad. Barking.

Kristoffer likes this.
  8. Beer w/Straw Transcendental Ignorance! Valued Senior Member

In some countries it is.

:edit:

Last edited: Jun 19, 2020
  9. Write4U Valued Senior Member

No he did not. He quoted me and responded to my post.
    This is the chronology
    To which exchemist gave you a "like".
    In response to my agreement with you exchemist said;
    Obviously that comment was directed at me, not you. That prompted me to bring to your attetion that you first used the word "atomic" and asked you:
    Then you explained your use of the word "atomic", which exchemist endorsed with another "like".

So we have a demonstrated duplicity. I agree with you on the use of the word "atomic" and am rewarded with exchemist rant . Then you explain your use of the word "atomic" and exchemist gives you a "like". But never offered an explanation or apology for understanding your use of the word "atomic". Exchemist questioned my agreement with you, which demonstrates the sheer "kneejerk" response of exchemist to all of my posts. Prejudicial!
    I don't know how you can possible arrive at that ridiculous and completely false conclusion.

That's like saying; "if there is no information, there is no information processing". Well duhhhh!

10. Write4U Valued Senior Member

You are the one barking (pissing), up the wrong tree at that....

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

11. exchemist Valued Senior Member

Yup, barking.

I think this is the "strawberries" moment, in The Caine Mutiny courtroom scene.

12. Write4U Valued Senior Member

lol, well I am from Holland so I know about "water". Wetness depends on distribution density of H2O molecules. It doesn't make water conscious, but at the right density H2O does acquire the property of liquid "wetness". Other H2O densities might result in solid "ice" or gaseous "water-vapor"
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Water_vapor[/quote]

But as an analogy this might serve to demonstrate the emergence of "consciousness" from specific biological neural network patterns. Is a slime mold conscious?

Can Slime Mould Solve Mazes? | Earth Lab

13. Write4U Valued Senior Member

But in furtherance of the proposition that "consciousness" involves quantum functions.

How Quantum Biology Might Explain Life’s Biggest Questions | Jim Al-Khalili | TED Talks

Looks like physics is beginning to take an interest in biological processes. ORCH OR ?

14. Write4U Valued Senior Member

@ Beerw/Straw, I suspect you might enjoy this video. (18.00)

These are the physics (known science) I used for background on which I based my interest and OP question in the world of quantum biology and if this might be instrumental in understanding the concept of "consciousness".

An Introduction to Quantum Biology - with Philip Ball
    •Feb 18, 2015

The Royal Institution

What is quantum biology? Philip Ball explains how strange quantum effects take place in the messy world of biology, and how these are behind familiar biological phenomena such as smell, enzymes and bird's migration. Subscribe for regular science videos: http://bit.ly/RiSubscRibe In this guest curated event on quantum biology, Jim Al-Khalili invited Philip Ball to introduce how the mysteries of quantum theory might manifest themselves at the biological level. Here he explains how the baffling yet powerful theory of the baffling yet powerful theory of the subatomic world might play an important role in biological processes.

or as Bohm might say "the Implicate order"

p.s. during this lecture I visualized the extraordinary olfactory abilities of Bloodhounds.
    p.p.s. note the reference to Hameroff's work (31:51)

Last edited: Jun 20, 2020
  15. Write4U Valued Senior Member

Can biological quantum tunneling be regulated by a matrix of the microtubule network?

MT are identically functioning dynamical biological constructs, able to process electrochemical information necessary for homeostasis in all living Eukaryotic organisms.

A matrix of a few trillion interconnected dynamical microtubular processors gives this biological pattern a formidable potential as a consistent biological computational complex, including a naturally emergent greater awareness and understanding of personal sensory experiential reactions.
    Self-awareness = consciousness

16. Write4U Valued Senior Member

A little visual of microtubule assisted "mitosis"

Note the fractal function which eventually build complex bio-chemical patterns.

17. Write4U Valued Senior Member

I happen to revisit this thread and found something interesting.

Scientists have discovered the origins of the building blocks of life
    by Rutgers University

https://phys.org/news/2020-03-scientists-blocks-life.html

It just occurred to me that microtubules might well be the naturally occurring fundamental self-assembling protein patterns which process and shuttle the electro chemical messages in living systems.

We know these structures are ancient and may even show similar structures in Archaea (prokaryota)

18. Write4U Valued Senior Member

And this piqued my interest

Actin–microtubule crosstalk in cell biology
    Abstract
    https://www.nature.com/articles/s41580-018-0067-1

19. Write4U Valued Senior Member

Meet the electric life forms that live on pure energy
    Flexible biocables
    https://www.newscientist.com/article/dn25894-meet-the-electric-life-forms-that-live-on-pure-energy/

Microtubules?

20. exchemist Valued Senior Member

21. billvon Valued Senior Member

Exactly. Your claims about microtubules are ridiculous, and you reach completely false conclusions about them. Glad you are seeing the light.

22. Write4U Valued Senior Member

Apparently you can.
    Tell me, an organism that eats electrons, what would you call that form of energy? Electricity?

23. DaveC426913 Valued Senior Member

Indeed. If one reads up on these bacteria in more science-oriented sources, one sees that they utilize chemistry such as iron oxide and oxidation. Being chemical in nature, of course these mechanisms involve transfer of electrons.

But that doesn't catch the eye of pop-sci sparkly-chasers as much as "Frankenstein’s monster, brought to life by galvanic energy".

exchemist likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.