Is eating meat morally wrong

Discussion in 'Ethics, Morality, & Justice' started by Theoryofrelativity, Mar 14, 2006.

1. TW Scott Minister of Technology Registered Senior Member

But we don't need efficent. Cultivating that land destroys what it was and you can nver get it back. Cattle ranching allows it to stay as it is.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Hapsburg Hellenistic polytheist Valued Senior Member

Yeah, the soil will be destroyed when cultivation occurs, unless you cultivate only peanuts and tubers...but then just eating peanuts and tubers would not be very healthy, now would it?

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Communist Hamster Cricetulus griseus leninus Valued Senior Member

I shall start developing one at once.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. James R Just this guy, you know? Staff Member

Communist Hamster:

I can't see any reason it would be wrong per se.

8. water the sea Registered Senior Member

When humans eat animals that they themselves are not capable of killing.

If one can catch and kill an animal, clean it, prepare it, cook it, and eat it, all this by oneself, I don't see a problem with killing animals to eat their meat.

But when a person has qualms about killing an animal, yet wishes to eat its meat,
    this is when I think a moral issue is present.

9. Theoryofrelativity Banned Banned

10. Zephyr Humans are ONE Registered Senior Member

11. Theoryofrelativity Banned Banned

Sorry James but this is very silly..Dogs are house hold pets hence not extinct, I don't know of any roaming wild, I do know dog patrols round them up if they do! Cows won't be household pets, and No if went veggie tomorrow they would NOT be allowed to live out their natural lives of 10-20yrs! We'd immediately need the land for crops. So sorry this reply not particularly helpful.

Also I NEVER argued meat industry being kind creating animals by creating animals to kill them???? Where did you get that from?????????? NOT ME! Don't misquote me please!

I'm asking if we went veggie tomorrow what would we do with the animals- REALLY, what would we do with them??

I studied animal welfare/rights/managment etc etc once (5 days a week for 2yrs) and college class was based in zoo so we could study species at first hand. I understand how management of animals works, and I can assure you if we went veggie tomorrow, (IN UK at least) the guns would come out and they'd all be shot, bar a very small handful. THIS is guarantted!

When foot and mouth hit, thousands of uninfected herds were slaughtered.

Whatever reasons for breeding them, this is not kind or moral.

12. Theoryofrelativity Banned Banned

eh? you comparing a meat eater to a butcher of civilians....ridiculous and quite insane, not to mention down right offensive.

13. Theoryofrelativity Banned Banned

well eating meat and butchering civillians in iraq is a BIG step not small one!

Although I get the point you are making, hence abortion being legal and widely accepted. Murder ok and redefined when it suits ones own needs!

Which brings me to two points that always baffle me:

Why are some anti animal cruelty vegetarians pro abortion! killing is killing?
    Why do people call themsleves vegetarian when they eat fish? fish is livng creature not vegetable? Why don't they just say..I don't eat red/white meat?
    Any vegetarians falling into above catagoriues like to share your views on this? Not an attack, genuinely curious?

Last edited: Mar 17, 2006
  14. perplexity Banned Banned

Deleted

Last edited: Mar 13, 2007
  15. Theoryofrelativity Banned Banned

This reads like you're suggesting vegetarians are nicer, gooder, better people than meat eaters, knowing some vegetarians, can't AGREE 1millionth of a percentage with that at all!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

16. perplexity Banned Banned

Deleted

17. Theoryofrelativity Banned Banned

how is my post shortsightedness? This is what you suggest is it not?

18. TheAlphaWolf Registered Senior Member

Cattle ranching also destroys land.
    Theoryofrelativity:
    1) no, killing is NOT killing. I have no qualms about eating beans. For one, fetuses do not feel pain, they don't think, they don't suffer, they don't have any emotions whatsoever. Cows, pigs, chickens, etc. do. Two, fetuses are not grown in horrible conditions only to be killed and eaten just for the pure pleasure of it. Cows and others are.
    2)I don' tknow, that's stupid.
    3) vegetables are living creatures
    Theoryofrelativity
    and you've been saying things that suggest you think vegetarians are evil hypocrites who go around forcing people to be vegetarians and should all go to hell. (ok, maybe not that strongly)

19. perplexity Banned Banned

Deleted

20. Theoryofrelativity Banned Banned

You can clearly NOT read

I NEVER EVER suggested vegetarians were evil??? I intend to be one myself (said so here many times) when I am sure the diet and recipes are sorted! My boyfriend and best friend are vegetarian you sad loser.

re abortion, fetuses may not feel pain (check your facts on that!) but babies do and babies are aborted up to full term! I think they can feel pain from 8 WEEKS so check your facts vegetarian baby killer.

NO vegetables are not living 'CREATURES' they are vegetables! since when were they creatures??? how old are you?

I may want to be vegetarian but NO I don't agree that meat eating is wrong. I do however agree that some (not all) methods of farming are wrong.

I would never force my veg views on anyone just as I wouldn't force my personal 'god' beliefs on someone. There are too many people here that want to ram their biased views down peoples throats, thats what I object too.

Eating meat is NOT morally wrong, some methods of farming are.

And for those reasons (farming related) when I am able and can ensure a healthy diet (without supplements-cos if you have to supplement then its NOT healthy) I will be vegetarian.

Meanwhile DON'T make up your own crap about things I've said when I HAVEN'T said them, if you do you are a troll and need to go take your trolly ways into someone leses thread!

Last edited: Mar 18, 2006
  21. Theoryofrelativity Banned Banned

So I take it you are one of those vegetarians who believes in abortion and eats fish, I just think its hypocritical that's all. I'm sure it was you (can't be bothered to check) that said peoples views change to suit their prejudices, this is why I raised the question of vegetarians that don't eat meat because of their friendliness towards living creatures, but have no problems with abortion past 8 weeks. I thought that was excellent example of what you suggested.

Its' very simple, if you think thats 'trolling' you are nuts. Isn't anyone allowed to have ask questions that challenge your view?

I have no problem with vegetariansim, its a noble thing.

I do have problems with people who adopt a hollier than thou attitude and are full of hypocrisy.

Meanwhile how dare you accuse me of trolling my own thread? I can see by every reply you are indeed an individual who thinks they are higher and better than everyone else, and you'd be the same if you ate meat. You are ALL ego and so much so you can't even see it. Read back through your judgemental holier than thou (crap quotes) posts!

Last edited: Mar 18, 2006
  22. perplexity Banned Banned

Deleted

23. Theoryofrelativity Banned Banned

you have no right to tell me what my rights are or are not

so you eat fish right?